IGNORED

Well, this gives a new meaning to "holy of holies"

A. This thread is hysterical.

B. It makes me think of Pulp Fiction when Samuel L. Jackson is talking about "holy of holies" and he is clearly referring to vaginas.

I'm apparently slow and possibly not old enough to have this conversation :shock:

I understand what she is using "true intimacy" for, but I don't understand what she is using "the holiest of holies" for. Maybe it's because I just woke up, but that sentence doesn't make sense to me :(

Also maybe I am in the minority, but no one in my circle of friends spends as much time talking about sex as fundies do. It seems strange to me that they are all so obsessed with sex in one form or another. Maybe this is why they worry about their kids and monitor them so closely. *They* are obsessed with sex, so they assume everyone else is.

No one in secular, sexually liberated and 'godforsaken' Holland does.

I'll be a voice of dissent, I guess.

Sure, there's a certain amount of fundie goofiness with the language, and I generally associate the Holy of Holies with a specific spot within the former Temple in Jerusalem, but it's actually a nice message from that lady (it's not Lori's words).

I agree with what that lady is saying about true intimacy, the idea of partners focusing on the good qualities in the other, the idea that they bless each other, and the overall tone of love and MUTUAL RESPECT. [Not gonna preach here, but FWIW my personal religious beliefs see marital intimacy as something holy and real intimacy as something that goes far beyond just physical urges. In the right context, sex isn't something dirty or sinful.]

This sounds like a critique of Lori's views, only Lori is too dense to realize it.

Too bad Lori isn't internalizing that message. There is so much more to it than not arguing. As we've pointed out ad nauseum, that picture almost certainly does NOT apply to Lori's bedroom. She and Ken have both said, "yeah, that sounds nice, but it's not realistic, a wife shouldn't expect pleasure, so shut up and spread your legs and in 10 minutes it will be over." To them, it's all about meeting a man's physical needs so that he doesn't screw around elsewhere. Real intimacy, love, sharing and mutual respect aren't in the picture.

Yeah, I'd say that from the Song of Songs to John Donne there's a tradition of sexual and religious metphors informing and transforming each other. Perhaps the problem with fundies is that it immediately becomes prescriptive: "GOOD people pray before sex" rather than "sex and worship can both be transformative, transcendent experiences"

What I'm taking from this is: Their bedroom is the holy of holies... a place no one dares go but them and god. (scarey)

Now, instead of dwelling on how unsatisfying sex with Ken is, Lori prays a prayer of thanksgiving that it is over and Ken prays one of thanks that he has a warm hole that he can poke at any time. And God rolls his eyes.

However, I keep thinking of Leonard Cohen's song "Hallelujah" which includes the line

And remember when I moved in you

The holy dove was moving too

And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Some versions change that to Holy Ghost....

I give you a Friday morning offering of Leonard Cohen singing this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Fkuq5Lf0Q

But, if you prefer the Jeff Buckley version, here it is too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4JqBrC-EAM

WTH prays after sex? I'm pretty sure she doesn't means moaning "oh God" during the act.

In my faith upbringing, marital sex and intimacy is definitely considered holy, so I have absolutely zero issue with religious metaphors for sex. When I read the term "holy of holies" as a metaphor for sex, I immediately associate it with orgasm. Achieving orgasm is "entering the holy of holies". One of the metaphors used for God in the Hebrew Bible is that of a lover.

Having said that, reading Lori's entry once again has me gaping in awe at the connoisseurship she has achieved in passive-aggressive backhandedness. Essentially she is saying that once they pray after sex she can forgive and forget about having to fake it. The utter nastiness with which that woman (Lori) describes what should be a wonderful time of intimacy and healing between two people is like nothing I have ever seen, and I have seen Debbie Does Dallas .

Comparing the Holy of Holies in God's tabernacle to their bumping and grinding is pretty blasphemous IMO.

She's a fucking nutbag.

How do any of you read this with straight faces? I just keep seeing Madeline Kahn belting out "Oh, sweet mystery of life at last I've found you!" in Young Frankenstein

As a born-and-raised (former) Catholic, I am well familiar with the term "holy of holies." In this case, however, my inner twelve-year-old boy intrudes and I can't help thinking "hole of holes."

What I'm taking from this is: Their bedroom is the holy of holies... a place no one dares go but them and god. (scarey)

Now, instead of dwelling on how unsatisfying sex with Ken is, Lori prays a prayer of thanksgiving that it is over and Ken prays one of thanks that he has a warm hole that he can poke at any time. And God rolls his eyes.

This talk about the holy of holies, and the blessing and praying isn't about Ken and Lori at all, as two other FJers pointed out. Those words, that paragraph are from a friend named Rebecca who took the Thirty Day Challenge to not argue that Lori wrote about.

This talk about the holy of holies, and the blessing and praying isn't about Ken and Lori at all, as two other FJers pointed out. Those words, that paragraph are from a friend named Rebecca who took the Thirty Day Challenge to not argue that Lori wrote about.

OK, then replace the names and you still have the same result. What awful lives these people must have.

OK, then replace the names and you still have the same result. What awful lives these people must have.

Tell me about it. How depressing that there are more fundie women out there with husbands who are terrible in the sack who resort to passive-aggressive backhandedness on their blogs as an outlet for their feelings. Wifely submission, what a beautiful practice. Such a blessing for the rest of us to see in action. :disgust:

Tell me about it. How depressing that there are more fundie women out there with husbands who are terrible in the sack who resort to passive-aggressive backhandedness on their blogs as an outlet for their feelings. Wifely submission, what a beautiful practice. Such a blessing for the rest of us to see in action. :disgust:

This other women that she quote didn't say a word about submission, and didn't strike me as being passive-aggressive against anyone except Lori.

Maybe it's just me, but I read it as "hey, here's what an actual Happy Marriage looks like, and no, it doesn't involve merely tolerating sex or faking it, and yes, it involves MUTUAL love and respect." Lori then utterly fails to see that this woman is dissing her, and sees this as a wonderful message. [Lori also loves half of my posts, so she's not too swift on detecting criticism.]

This other women that she quote didn't say a word about submission, and didn't strike me as being passive-aggressive against anyone except Lori.

Maybe it's just me, but I read it as "hey, here's what an actual Happy Marriage looks like, and no, it doesn't involve merely tolerating sex or faking it, and yes, it involves MUTUAL love and respect." Lori then utterly fails to see that this woman is dissing her, and sees this as a wonderful message. [Lori also loves half of my posts, so she's not too swift on detecting criticism.]

Ah, I went back and read it after you posted and I see what you mean. Allritee, I am obviously failing reading comprehension today, and that poster has also obviously detected that Lori fakes it because Ken is lousy in the sack.

Archived