IGNORED

Black people give their kids crazy names

SpeakNow

Ummm...Jayden became popular because of Jaden Smith, the son of Will Smith, who is most definitely NOT white.

Not really--it was rising in [link=http://www.behindthename.com/top/name/jaden]popularity[/link] pretty quickly before he was even born. Apparently it became a lot more popular with ethnic minorities since his birth, though, or so says [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayden]wikipedia[/link].

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really--it was rising in [link=http://www.behindthename.com/top/name/jaden]popularity[/link] pretty quickly before he was even born. Apparently it became a lot more popular with ethnic minorities since his birth, though, or so says [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayden]wikipedia[/link].

Jaden Smith was born in 1998. The chart you gave shows the name becoming hugely popular in 98 - 04 ish. I just think its funny that the example given for a popular white kid name is actually popular primarily due to a black kid.

The name itself only made it into the top 1000 in 94. It lurked in the 800 ish range until after JadenSmith was born, and then shot up.

The best site for name popularity rankings ( for the U.S.) is the social security administration. You can search by popularity by year, by state, top names by year, etc. it's pretty interesting.

Also that Wikipedia throw away line about the name becoming more popular with ethnic minorities -- what are you saying ? There isn't any searchable source, except a reference to a newspaper article where the New York City mayor talked about popular names. There is no reference to whether it was more popular for white babies first, or if the number of " ethnic minorities" giving the name is what drove up the popularity overall, or ??

Anyway, not trying to start an argument, just thought it was amusing.

It's true. Resumes with "black" names are much less likely to be called back than the exact same resume with a white name. Just shows the effects of racism in society, I think.

People don't like to feel stupid and I know I feel stupid when I don't know how to pronounce a name. I think some of it is not racism but trying to avoid embarrassment.

Mercedes is a beautiful name which if memory serves far pre-dates the awesome German car in the Spanish language.

I think the car was actually named after one of the owners' daughters.

One of my 'favorite' names is Jock, who just happens to be the son of a local lawyer. I would understand if it were Jacques, but 'jock,' as in athlete, just cracks me up. Good thing he was good at sports, huh?

People don't like to feel stupid and I know I feel stupid when I don't know how to pronounce a name. I think some of it is not racism but trying to avoid embarrassment.

No, that is not it at all. It is racism, classism and stereotyping. You probably need to do a little research on this subject if you really think it boils down to embarrassment.

Jaden Smith was born in 1998. The chart you gave shows the name becoming hugely popular in 98 - 04 ish. I just think its funny that the example given for a popular white kid name is actually popular primarily due to a black kid.

The name itself only made it into the top 1000 in 94. It lurked in the 800 ish range until after JadenSmith was born, and then shot up.

The best site for name popularity rankings ( for the U.S.) is the social security administration. You can search by popularity by year, by state, top names by year, etc. it's pretty interesting.

Also that Wikipedia throw away line about the name becoming more popular with ethnic minorities -- what are you saying ? There isn't any searchable source, except a reference to a newspaper article where the New York City mayor talked about popular names. There is no reference to whether it was more popular for white babies first, or if the number of " ethnic minorities" giving the name is what drove up the popularity overall, or ??

Anyway, not trying to start an argument, just thought it was amusing.

Yeah, you never know with wikipedia. Just thought it was a somewhat interesting detail if true, though there's the whole causation/correlation thing.

Were the Smith babies a big deal like celebrity babies are now? I don't think I knew about them until a few years ago, but then I was pretty unaware of pop culture back then.

I'm sure Jayden Smith did contribute to the popularity of the name, but then it's also a sound that's been popular in the past 20 years or so. 395 in 1998 is a big jump from 522 in 1997 (still a big jump from not even being in the top 1000 a few years earlier), and it would probably be 1999 when the statistics really reflect the influence there. I've known a few pre-Jayden Smith Jaydens/Jadens/Jaiden (I suppose the amount of spellings makes it even more popular than the statistics make it seem), and it seems like every other little boy these days has an Aidan/Braedan/Caden type name.

I was curious about Willow as a name now. It didn't jump much after Willow Smith was born, but it's definitely gotten more popular in the past couple years, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's because of her becoming a lot more famous lately.

The social security name index is fun to search, but I like behindthename a lot better for general name stuff. You can easily get all the non popularity related stuff like etymology and related names.

Speaking of celebrity inspired names, I didn't realize that Khloe is in the top 100 now. I wonder if we're going to start seeing a lot more baby Norths now.

I don't have a problem with unique names. What do have a problem is unique spelling

I think people should name their kids whatever they want. I don't care. Just spell the name in a way that relates decently to how it is pronounced. Or may be pronounced. I have run into so many names with my students (white, black, hispanic, whatever) where they pronounce their name, and I look at it in my attendance list and there are entire consonants or vowels missing. An example:

Quinesh- pronounced Kwaneesha. There should at least be one A in the spelling of that name, preferably two. It drives me nuts because in cases like that I don't have a shot in hell of pronouncing it right on the first try.

Then that is just a whole different fucked up kind of bigotry.

While I personally prefer traditional English names for my kid, I don't really like the whole cultural shaming of names. I think peeps make a good point when they mention the same people who would mock a name they perceive to be African-American will name their kids their own made up name. With even less reason. At least with in the African American community there is a culture of name creation. White people just like to get all Kreative and Unique. Think Kristina.

I think the car was actually named after one of the owners' daughters.

One of my 'favorite' names is Jock, who just happens to be the son of a local lawyer. I would understand if it were Jacques, but 'jock,' as in athlete, just cracks me up. Good thing he was good at sports, huh?

Jock only means that in the US in Scotland it is used for John.

A bit like Jesus and Mercedes, we have to look outside our own cultures before assuming.

Oops on my phone meant to add a lol not meant so seriously!

Anton seems to be a pop black name around here.I only know one white person with it.

I'm of Eastern European decent. When I was pregnant, my husband and I were talking about possible names for LittleBabyNothing and "Anton" was a name that I threw out there during a conversation with him and my sister in law.

My sister in law made a face and commented, "What, is your baby going to be black?"

I made a face back at her, because Anton is a name that shows up a lot in my family tree, a Polish version of Anthony.

This from an Irish German gal who wanted to name her son "Decklin" with a Slovak surname.

I'm of Eastern European decent. When I was pregnant, my husband and I were talking about possible names for LittleBabyNothing and "Anton" was a name that I threw out there during a conversation with him and my sister in law.

My sister in law made a face and commented, "What, is your baby going to be black?"

I made a face back at her, because Anton is a name that shows up a lot in my family tree, a Polish version of Anthony.

This from an Irish German gal who wanted to name her son "Decklin" with a Slovak surname.

The first time I remember hearing the name Anton was in West Side Story because it was Tony's real name. And his character was Polish.

The only other Anton I've ever encountered is the very white Anton Newcombe from Brian Jonestown Massacre.

I think people should name their kids whatever they want. I don't care. Just spell the name in a way that relates decently to how it is pronounced. Or may be pronounced. I have run into so many names with my students (white, black, hispanic, whatever) where they pronounce their name, and I look at it in my attendance list and there are entire consonants or vowels missing. An example:

Quinesh- pronounced Kwaneesha. There should at least be one A in the spelling of that name, preferably two. It drives me nuts because in cases like that I don't have a shot in hell of pronouncing it right on the first try.

And then the kids and, sometimes the parents, get upset because teachers make a mistake trying to pronounce the name or inadvertently spell it wrong. I get kids scowling and snapping at me for not knowing how to say their names all the time as a sub, even when I take the easy way of asking them to clarify for me before I try to say it. As a full time teacher, I had a section with three Michaela's once. All spelled differently. It was a communications class and I would post the order of presentations regularly and heaven help me if I confused those spellings when writing it on the fly as the kids drew the order from a jar. And one set of parents went so far as to complain about it--as if I were doing it on purpose.

I don't really like stereotypical "black" names because they don't really have a meaning. I believe that every name should have a meaning, and I think that it would be more meaningful for an African-American to be named with an African name than a made-up name. I don't like creatively-spelled names, even though people could consider my name as creatively spelled.

I like the meaning of names as much or if not more than how they sound.

I don't really like stereotypical "black" names because they don't really have a meaning. I believe that every name should have a meaning, and I think that it would be more meaningful for an African-American to be named with an African name than a made-up name. I don't like creatively-spelled names, even though people could consider my name as creatively spelled.

I like the meaning of names as much or if not more than how they sound.

But making up meaningless names is not exclusive to African-American parents. The darling little Jolivia I taught yesterday was a blue eyed fair skinned blond. And most teachers can tell you they have encountered many a white kid with a made up or otherwise odd name.

I think a lot of name meanings are kind of made up or overstated, and who says made-up names can't have meanings anyway? Every name had to be made up at some point.

Yeah, you never know with wikipedia. Just thought it was a somewhat interesting detail if true, though there's the whole causation/correlation thing.

Were the Smith babies a big deal like celebrity babies are now? I don't think I knew about them until a few years ago, but then I was pretty unaware of pop culture back then.

I'm sure Jayden Smith did contribute to the popularity of the name, but then it's also a sound that's been popular in the past 20 years or so. 395 in 1998 is a big jump from 522 in 1997 (still a big jump from not even being in the top 1000 a few years earlier), and it would probably be 1999 when the statistics really reflect the influence there. I've known a few pre-Jayden Smith Jaydens/Jadens/Jaiden (I suppose the amount of spellings makes it even more popular than the statistics make it seem), and it seems like every other little boy these days has an Aidan/Braedan/Caden type name.

I was curious about Willow as a name now. It didn't jump much after Willow Smith was born, but it's definitely gotten more popular in the past couple years, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's because of her becoming a lot more famous lately.

The social security name index is fun to search, but I like behindthename a lot better for general name stuff. You can easily get all the non popularity related stuff like etymology and related names.

Speaking of celebrity inspired names, I didn't realize that Khloe is in the top 100 now. I wonder if we're going to start seeing a lot more baby Norths now.

Tell me about it. My son's name is Aidan...he was born in 2001 when the name was not hugely popular, and I had no idea that it would take off just a short while later. And since many people are spelling it Aiden now, I'm constantly correcting school and doctor forms. :lol:

But making up meaningless names is not exclusive to African-American parents. The darling little Jolivia I taught yesterday was a blue eyed fair skinned blond. And most teachers can tell you they have encountered many a white kid with a made up or otherwise odd name.

I'm sorry, I didn't clarify. I just pointed out black names since it was the title of the thread. I'm against made-up names, period. True, all names are made up sometime, but most names have a meaning. Shaniqua has no meaning, Pilot Inspektor has no meaning, Fifi Trixibelle has no meaning, Audio Science has no meaning. African Americans are not the only ones whose names don't mean anything.

"Amadi" is a name of African descent, and it means "rejoice," it's an unusual, African name, but there is a meaning to it. Olivia means "peace." Sophia means "wisdom." Alexander means "defender of man." I, personally, love older names that aren't very popular nowadays. It's unique, but there is meaning to it.

I'm sorry, I didn't clarify. I just pointed out black names since it was the title of the thread. I'm against made-up names, period. True, all names are made up sometime, but most names have a meaning. Shaniqua has no meaning, Pilot Inspektor has no meaning, Fifi Trixibelle has no meaning, Audio Science has no meaning. African Americans are not the only ones whose names don't mean anything.

"Amadi" is a name of African descent, and it means "rejoice," it's an unusual, African name, but there is a meaning to it. Olivia means "peace." Sophia means "wisdom." Alexander means "defender of man." I, personally, love older names that aren't very popular nowadays. It's unique, but there is meaning to it.

Well, Pilot does have a meaning -- it means a person who steers a ship, more or less. Inspecktor, despicably spelled though it is, also has a meaning, and so do Audio and Silence. You might think I'm being flippant, but a hell of a lot of "meaningful names" are just words from whatever language they've been derived from that happen to sound nice. Is Rose acceptable to you? What about Gwyn, which literally just means "white" in Welsh (IIRC)? Is Gwyn more acceptable than Glas or Melyn (also Welsh colour words as far as Google translate tells me)?

As for the others: Fifi is a diminuitive of Josephine, and thus has a meaning ("he will add", apparently); likewise with Trixie and Belle ("Voyager" and "Beautiful, respectively). Shaniqua is actually the only one you've listed that doesn't "mean" anything literally -- but it probably "means" something to her parents, and it likely "means" something to all of them that it fits in with a cultural naming trend. Different people value different kinds of "meaning".

Besides, as others have pointed out, baby name meanings are often wrong anyway -- either prettied up, or elaborated, or just plain invented by the book writers. This is a pretty good article on the subject: http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/advice/namebook.html

Olivia probably just comes from the word olive and wasn't used in that form until Shakespeare made it up for a play. It seems like a lot of names are like this in that the name came before the meaning. Take "Katherine": it could have come from a couple of different sources, but it also sounded kind of like the word for pure and so that's the meaning that came to be associated with it. To me, "Audio Science" has a more direct meaning than "Olivia." And I really wouldn't assume that newer names have no meaning. For instance, maybe Shaniqua was named after someone important. It's still no [link=http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault/2013/09/13/puritan_names_lists_of_bizarre_religious_nomenclature_used_by_puritans.html]If-Christ-had-not-died-for-thee-thou-hadst-been-damned[/link], but isn't that still meaning, more so than an Olivia whose parents just found the name in a baby book and liked what the book said about it (to be clear, nothing wrong with that either!)?

IMO, what people usually mean is that they prefer names that were made up and assigned meanings at least a few hundred years ago as opposed to a few years ago. Which is fine and I'm right there with them, but I also see no reason to be snobby about it.

Oh, please tell me she didn't. It is spelled "Declan" and it is a name originating County Cork. It's my son's name and he is an Irish citizen with an Irish surname, residing in the US!

Jock only means that in the US in Scotland it is used for John.

A bit like Jesus and Mercedes, we have to look outside our own cultures before assuming.

Oops on my phone meant to add a lol not meant so seriously!

I had no idea, and now I feel like the typical American, LOL. Guess I learned something today!

Archived