IGNORED

Black people give their kids crazy names

SpeakNow

There's a (white) blogger who has four children: Archer (boy), Fable (girl) and the twin girls Bohéme and Reverie. Yeah. Silly names are not limited to black people.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a white kid named Precious in my daughter's class one year. She also wasn't precious.

Hahaha! That just cheered my shitty work day up. For shitty read norovirus :(

One of my friends has a granddaughter named Yoni. White. I can only assume someone heard it and thought it sounded pretty -- and it does. But still ...

My kids all have traditional family names. I won't even deny that I am drawn to the more fanciful names -- Archer and Reverie, love 'em! -- but I wanted to name my kids something that would resonate with them rather than me and that they could look back on as a family history, tradition.

Although naming a child a "black" name does lead to problems in life, according to Malcolm Gladwell. Although Barack Obama may have killed that theory.

Studies have shown that this naming tradition does make it more difficult for adults to get jobs. Barack Obama has a Nigerian/Arabic name and was brought up in white culture.I don't think that is really proof of anything. A friend of mine told me (very well educated lawyer) that the worse thing she could do for her son was give him a non traditional name as he already carried the burden of being a black male.

Here is info on the actual study on the effects of naming traditions:

http://www.chicagobooth.edu/capideas/sp ... lbias.html

I have several friends who use their middle names or changed their names so that they could work without fear of bias. My friend Shanika goes by S. Dawn XYZ for her high power finance job, for example.

Oh, yeah, if you really want a naming treat, check out this article on the Mormons:

freerepublic.com/focus/religion/829124/posts

and this

rumandmonkey.com/widgets/toys/mormon/#.UjWrmz8SxLM

I am Sancie D'Wan AIreta in Mormon

.blohtmlbellofthesouthgspot.comnames/2004/12/ghetto-baby-.

This... cracked me up. Baby sites also shamelessly call these sh- and q-loaded names ghetto names... I wonder where these names come from. Some are just a bastardized version of decent names (DaJarvis). Some, like... Shantaniqua?! The heck does it mean? The hell it comes from? Bonquisha?! Lord... LaQuenda? Is this supposed to be a mix of French and Hispanic?

Another thing, people in Mexico name their sons Jesus like it was a name like David or Daniel. Their name their kids Jesus.

You know Free Jinger is not a group of white racists sitting around making fun of the "other" right? Jesus is name and it is used in Latin American Christian culture traditionally as a honorific as are a ton of other biblical names. It is often abbreviated "Chuy".

French and Hispanic? That doesn't even make sense. Ghetto names? That is funny and cracking you up?

You know Free Jinger is not a group of white racists sitting around making fun of the "other" right? Jesus is name and it is used in Latin American Christian culture traditionally as a honorific as are a ton of other biblical names. It is often abbreviated "Chuy".

French and Hispanic? That doesn't even make sense. Ghetto names? That is funny and cracking you up?

THANK YOU.

My son had a black classmate named Precious in his Kindergarten class.

The poor girl was so misnamed...she was anything but precious.She got her desk moved to the corner on the first day of class.

Precious is not uncommon in post colonial africa.

bellofthesouth.blogspot.com/2004/12/ghetto-baby-names.html

Another thing, people in Mexico name their sons Jesus like it was a name like David or Daniel. Their name their kids Jesus.

Well, in Mexico, it IS a name just like David or Daniel. And it's not pronounced the way we pronounce Jesus but rather more "Hay-zeus."

<--- Dated a Jesus for a while in college.

A lot of people are dumb about names; there is a lot of ignorant snobbery. THough the perpetrators think they think they are smart. I had a friend from chile named Mercedes and a lot of silly women were saying it was trashy to name someone after a car! That name is as old as can be. And this is from people with flash in the pan names from the 70s like Cheryl, Leeanne and leigh. (No offence to people of those names generally) Talk about uneducated. I still feel annoyed about it.

There's a (white) blogger who has four children: Archer (boy), Fable (girl) and the twin girls Bohéme and Reverie. Yeah. Silly names are not limited to black people.

She is exactly who I was thinking of when I saw the title of this.

Know some "crazy" white names. Kashler (girl), Jadalyn, Jazlyn, Kreighton (also girl), Jeseka (Jessica), Azuh (Asia), Indea (India?), Kolten, Karper (girl), Jailin (girl), Tray, Sawyear, Klowie (Chloe), Seven, Ryder, Rogue, and probably more.

Dear Mormons,

Luxury cars are stripper names : ))) Also, Cristal that represents purity... is a liquor name... : ) and a stripper name.

Please stop making fun of people's names. It's really not okay.

Dear Mormons,

Luxury cars are stripper names : ))) Also, Cristal that represents purity... is a liquor name... : ) and a stripper name.

Are you trying to be funny? I find your posts in this thread offensive. You are being racist and make yourself sound uneducated.

I think what most people are doing is throwing up examples of how it isn't just American blacks, yet "culture" looks down on and punishes them. Mormons, wealthy whites, white hipsters.... we aren't picking on people.

In school a couple years ago, I was taking a linguistics class, and about 60% of the students were foreign (mostly Korean). They adored American culture, and had picked out new American names in order to make it easier for all of us to relate to them.

One was Sky, one was Optimus Prime, and another was Bomb. I had the most trouble with Bomb, though. Our conversation went mostly like this,

Guy: "Hi. I'm Bommmg."

Me: "Hi. Uh, Bong you said?"

Guy: "Yes! Wait. No? No. Bommmm."

Me: "Bong. Hi, Bong."

Guy: "Bomm.

Me: "Bong?"

Guy: "No. Like explosive."

Me: "OHHHHH. Hi, Bomb." (completely embarrassed)

They were a lot of fun :)

I think what most people are doing is throwing up examples of how it isn't just American blacks, yet "culture" looks down on and punishes them. Mormons, wealthy whites, white hipsters.... we aren't picking on people.

My comment was directed at Walnut. Walnut has been saying some pretty derogatory things on this thread. My comment was calling her out, not directed at everyone else. I guess I didn't make that clear enough. (I was specifically commenting on her statements below)

""This... cracked me up. Baby sites also shamelessly call these sh- and q-loaded names ghetto names... I wonder where these names come from. Some are just a bastardized version of decent names (DaJarvis). Some, like... Shantaniqua?! The heck does it mean? The hell it comes from? Bonquisha?! Lord... LaQuenda? Is this supposed to be a mix of French and Hispanic?

Another thing, people in Mexico name their sons Jesus like it was a name like David or Daniel. Their name their kids Jesus."

"Dear Mormons,

Luxury cars are stripper names : ))) Also, Cristal that represents purity... is a liquor name... : ) and a stripper name.""

My comment was directed at Walnut. Walnut has been saying some pretty derogatory things on this thread. My comment was calling her out, not directed at everyone else. I guess I didn't make that clear enough. (I was specifically commenting on her statements below)

""This... cracked me up. Baby sites also shamelessly call these sh- and q-loaded names ghetto names... I wonder where these names come from. Some are just a bastardized version of decent names (DaJarvis). Some, like... Shantaniqua?! The heck does it mean? The hell it comes from? Bonquisha?! Lord... LaQuenda? Is this supposed to be a mix of French and Hispanic?

Another thing, people in Mexico name their sons Jesus like it was a name like David or Daniel. Their name their kids Jesus."

Sorrym SpeakNow. So was mine. I wasn't clear. Trying to back you up :)

"Dear Mormons,

Luxury cars are stripper names : ))) Also, Cristal that represents purity... is a liquor name... : ) and a stripper name.""

Sorry, SpeakNow. So was mine. I was unclear. Offering you back up!!!

Well along with her recent sparkling opinion that people with 'mental illness' should 'off' themselves I think adding racist to plain ignorant is not a stretch.

Mercedes is a beautiful name which if memory serves far pre-dates the awesome German car in the Spanish language.

Whoops! I guess we just had a little miscommunication there. Glad we're on the same page!

Thank you. And naming your son Jesus is no different than naming your son Joshua. Jesus (or Yeshua as he would have been called) was just a name, not a title.

One of the worst thing about this is that it's a phenomenon that is basically forgiven in the white world.

"OH JAYDEN IS SUCH A COOL UNIQUE NAME!!!!" 5 years later every other white kid is named Jayden, and while the parents may be angry about it, it's actually incredibly helpful for the child later in life.

While those ~crazy black people names~ experience the same phenomenon, in that many of them become popular across black culture around the same time, it doesn't have the same normalizing effect because "black culture" is considered separate from "white culture", which is essentially "culture". Because our country is racist. Incredibly, deeply, totally fucked racist.

Ummm...Jayden became popular because of Jaden Smith, the son of Will Smith, who is most definitely NOT white.

I think this is it exactly. Do black people give their kids "crazy" names? Sure, some do. But so do Mormons, teenagers, hipsters, fill in the blank- yet, at most, Krynlyyn will get "your parents are weird" while L'Quanteishia will get "low class, hoodrat, uneducated", etc. This seems like more of a symptom of a racist society than anything else. Being black in our society is already a strike against you, and then to add a name like La Vonte or Quantesha to the mix... It's almost like, well, if you're black, well, just don't be "too black". You'll be accepted as a Kimberly, but Kimineshia is "too ghetto". Will people look at Krynlyyn and smirk? Probably. But she's already at least a few steps ahead because she's white.

Archived