IGNORED

Black people give their kids crazy names

SpeakNow

Anton seems to be a pop black name around here.I only know one white person with it.

I know a Czech guy named Anton. He goes by "Tony" though.

When I was younger I knew twins named Indica and Sativa. I actually think they're beautiful names, but I couldn't bring myself to use them.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first time I remember hearing the name Anton was in West Side Story because it was Tony's real name. And his character was Polish.

The only other Anton I've ever encountered is the very white Anton Newcombe from Brian Jonestown Massacre.

Totally OT but saw BJM live last summer and Anton was everything I expected in person. So awesome.

I had no idea, and now I feel like the typical American, LOL. Guess I learned something today!

Another useless fact, Jesse is probably the rarest name here due to the fact that a 'big Jessie' is a cowardly male for want of a better description. Example, man runs away from a spider, his mates will say 'Oh you big Jessie.' Also known as a big girls blouse for some reason. Seriously I despair of my culture at times :lol:

BUT Lyndsey is fine for a bloke!

I'm sorry, I didn't clarify. I just pointed out black names since it was the title of the thread. I'm against made-up names, period. True, all names are made up sometime, but most names have a meaning. Shaniqua has no meaning, Pilot Inspektor has no meaning, Fifi Trixibelle has no meaning, Audio Science has no meaning. African Americans are not the only ones whose names don't mean anything.

"Amadi" is a name of African descent, and it means "rejoice," it's an unusual, African name, but there is a meaning to it. Olivia means "peace." Sophia means "wisdom." Alexander means "defender of man." I, personally, love older names that aren't very popular nowadays. It's unique, but there is meaning to it.

But that is just your personal preference.

I personally think obsessing over meanings is weird. Name your kid what you want, but a name isn't intrinsically less good without a "meaning".

Oh, please tell me she didn't. It is spelled "Declan" and it is a name originating County Cork. It's my son's name and he is an Irish citizen with an Irish surname, residing in the US!

No, that did not end up being my nephew's name in the end. He got one of those old-school stands-the-test-of-time crosses-multiple-ethnicities names when all was said and done.

I apologize for my phonetic spelling above; I'd never seen the name written out before. Hopefully, had she used it, she would have spelled it correctly.

what about Lisa Presley's twin girls,Harper and Finley? OT a bit,I know.I've just never heard of those.And Finley reminds me a of a shark.

oh,and sarah palin's kids' odd names.

and of course demi's and bruce's scout,rumor and talulah.

what about Lisa Presley's twin girls,Harper and Finley? OT a bit,I know.I've just never heard of those.And Finley reminds me a of a shark.

Well, at least in the case of the Willis kids, they're actually named after other people. Scout for To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout Finch (real name: Jean Louise), Rumer for author Rumer Godden and Tallulah for (I believe) the awesome actress Tallulah Bankhead (checkout Lifeboat).

As for the Palin spawn, there's no excuse. Especially for Sarah.

Well, at least in the case of the Willis kids, they're actually named after other people. Scout for To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout Finch (real name: Jean Louise), Rumer for author Rumer Godden and Tallulah for (I believe) the awesome actress Tallulah Bankhead (checkout Lifeboat).

As for the Palin spawn, there's no excuse. Especially for Sarah.[/quote]

thx,I didn't know that about the Willis kids.

ITA on Sarah.

I had always heard for years that Demi Moore named her youngest child Tallulah Belle at the suggestion of her friend, actress Meg Ryan. Was this not the case?

I have a friend who refers to the Palin children as "Tarp," "Drip," "Grub" and "Brisbane." Haha.

I assumed Harper was probably for Harper Lee (author of To Kill a Mockingbird)?

Harper's actually pretty popular now. It was in the top 25 last year.

I think Ashley is fine for a boy.I think it's an old southern name.recall Gone with the Wind?

If I had another girl,I might name her Ashleigh.

Or maybe Shawn.

I assumed Harper was probably for Harper Lee (author of To Kill a Mockingbird)?

Harper's actually pretty popular now. It was in the top 25 last year.

Yep, the Beckhams have a Harper and so do Neil Patrick Harris and his husband.

well, a lot of black people DO give their kids crazy names. Not sure why people are so hesitant to admit that. People from all races give their kids crazy names.

I think Ashley is fine for a boy.I think it's an old southern name.recall Gone with the Wind?

If I had another girl,I might name her Ashleigh.

Or maybe Shawn.

I had a male professor whose first name was Ashley... he told us his mom was obsessed with Gone With the Wind :D

There are at least a few high profile English soccer/football players named Ashley, and some US football players, too. I think it's a great name for boys, but their penes might fall off because of the girl-name contamination. :roll:

A student in one of my classes earnestly mentioned that it's hard to teach phonics to students who have [paraphrased] African American names. So, I redirected her to rest of the English language that also defies phonetic logic and hopefully had an excellent teaching moment.

I had a male professor whose first name was Ashley... he told us his mom was obsessed with Gone With the Wind :D

LOL.reminds me of Carol Burnett doing a spoof of GWTW and his name was changed to 'Brashley".she was hollering "Brashley,Oh BRASHLEY!" throughout the skit.LOL

Speaking of actor's/character's names...I have always fancied the name Ashley for a boy. Even though I know it's just not feasible in this day and age.

I've known guys named Kelly, Shannon, Kerry, Jan. I can imagine other kids being cruel about it, though. Sad

Guilty :)

I would have no problem naming a boy that, but my current bf (and I think a lot of American men) would fight me to the death over it :lol: It's not worth the battle.

I have a gf named Shawn, but she advised me not to name a girl that.She said she got too much flack over it.She suggested Shawna instead.

I ended up choosing something altogether different anyway.

I can't believe I'm about to "defend" anything Palin related, but...

Track - Running is very popular in Alaska. I can't really defend this choice, other than Alaskans (and to some extent, the Pacific Northwest) like unusual names.

Bristol - Is named after Bristol Bay, a region in Alaska. I don't think this is unusual, as plenty of people have named their children after places like "Paris," "Madison," or "Brooklyn." Most people go to Bristol Bay to fish, some go there to propose open pit mines that will destroy the fishing industry. I'm not sure where the Palin's fall on that scale, probably both, like everyone else.

Willow - town in Alaska, tons of meth there.

Piper - Type of plane (super cub) , popular in Alaska

Trig - I have no idea where this came from.

The Palin daughter names don't bother me, and while not my taste are pretty inoffensive on all counts. Trig and Track are just weird, like naming a baby Slurpee or Cheet-oh, or Espn. I read somewhere that Trig was named after a Norse god, but that seems kind of beyond the Palin family's sphere of influence. I like cycling, and the only name I would possibly choose related to that is Orbea (but to make it cre8tiv, I would spell it Yrbeagh, tee tee tee eyeroll). Track and Trig are aesthetically unpleasant to my ear and seem badly thought out, but whatever.

Archived