IGNORED

Babies are assholes!?

FJismyheadship

When my niece was a newborn/infant, my sister would call her "the friendly little dictator." Most nights, the "friendly" got dropped. :lol:

We call my son, "His Highness". :lol:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had that same problem. I just couldn't produce enough milk. It got so bad in the hospital, that the medical staff put my son on formula supplement. I still tried to breastfeed for a month after we got home, but it devolved into a battle between him and me. Neither of us were happy and I felt it was starting to affect our ability to bond, so I stopped and went to formula. Both of us were much happier, my son wasn't constantly hungry, and life was much calmer. Sometimes, breastfeeding isn't the best solution for a family. My little one is three now and smart as a whip (to smart for his own good sometimes). Being formula fed hasn't seemed to affect him much, other than the fact that he didn't starve to death as an infant. When some holier than thou mommy tries to give me grief about it, I simply ignore her. I know I did what was best for my child at the time and I don't really care what anyone else has to say about it.

FYI for any new moms out there: My son had latching issues as an infant (which didn't help the situation at all). I never knew why until he turned two and at his two year well baby appointment the doctor mentioned the fact that he had a labial frenulum that may need to be surgically removed in the future if it didn't correct itself. I sure wish someone would have thought to check for that when he was a newborn. It might have helped in our breastfeeding fiasco. We ended up getting it removed about a month after that appointment because it was causing other eating issues for him. Just wanted to relay my experience in case other mothers have babies with latching issues. That could be the problem. It's really easy to fix when they're newborns, but not so easy when they're toddlers.

I have a similar situation, except my son has a high palate, which makes it very hard for him to get enough milk from my boob. He lost a full pound in his first 2 weeks because he was latching, just not getting enough. I was lucky to find a great lactation consultant who decided to shelve the judgement and instead showed me how to nurse with a nipple shield and supplement with formula and pumped milk. He is gaining weight and not frantic....we are all much happier. According to the true believers, Im doing everything wrong, but my son is growing and we are still nursing, so oh well.

That's my understanding as well. I don't think she meant all moms, just the helicopter-type crazy moms obsessed with their children. I know the type she's talking about and I get it. I want children, want to be mother, but I never thought she was speaking to all mothers as being generally stupid.

Why, then, did she specify that she meant mothers in general, rather then leaving it out so the interpretation could have been that it was only people who offended her specifically.

I had that same problem. I just couldn't produce enough milk. It got so bad in the hospital, that the medical staff put my son on formula supplement. I still tried to breastfeed for a month after we got home, but it devolved into a battle between him and me. Neither of us were happy and I felt it was starting to affect our ability to bond, so I stopped and went to formula. Both of us were much happier, my son wasn't constantly hungry, and life was much calmer. Sometimes, breastfeeding isn't the best solution for a family. My little one is three now and smart as a whip (to smart for his own good sometimes). Being formula fed hasn't seemed to affect him much, other than the fact that he didn't starve to death as an infant. When some holier than thou mommy tries to give me grief about it, I simply ignore her. I know I did what was best for my child at the time and I don't really care what anyone else has to say about it.

FYI for any new moms out there: My son had latching issues as an infant (which didn't help the situation at all). I never knew why until he turned two and at his two year well baby appointment the doctor mentioned the fact that he had a labial frenulum that may need to be surgically removed in the future if it didn't correct itself. I sure wish someone would have thought to check for that when he was a newborn. It might have helped in our breastfeeding fiasco. We ended up getting it removed about a month after that appointment because it was causing other eating issues for him. Just wanted to relay my experience in case other mothers have babies with latching issues. That could be the problem. It's really easy to fix when they're newborns, but not so easy when they're toddlers.

Adding to this, readers, don't confuse labial with lingual. These days they're more on the ball about tongue tie, but most won't consider/look at the lip membranes, which can really hinder a good latch.

Great link, with pics

http://thefunnyshapedwoman.blogspot.com ... nulum.html

Why, then, did she specify that she meant mothers in general, rather then leaving it out so the interpretation could have been that it was only people who offended her specifically.

The kind of mothers is specified. The mothers, though, I can't handle the mothers who think that they only live to serve their stupid, idiotic, asshole child. That is a very specific type of mother. Or does it need to be spelled out every. single. time. that this type of mother is being discussed - in the same paragraph as it was already defined?

The kind of mothers is specified. The mothers, though, I can't handle the mothers who think that they only live to serve their stupid, idiotic, asshole child. That is a very specific type of mother. Or does it need to be spelled out every. single. time. that this type of mother is being discussed - in the same paragraph as it was already defined?

Hehe! It's a better response than go eff yourself I suppose :)

Maybe some folks just like to take all things personally and be offended or maybe they are offended because they ARE that type of specified mother :p

Who knows ....Mommy wars happen anyway :lol:

Meda that sounds like a great solution, chuffed to hear he is doing well!

I had an almost identical experience with my son. I had built myself up during my pregnancy to be the perfect nursing mom by reading The Very Best Breastfeeding Book. The author of that one actually insists that you throw away the hospital formula samples. She didn't write a word about the complications that you can experience during nursing. I felt like such a failure for the first two months of his life. Couldn't get him to latch on, I couldn't produce enough milk, and then we later discovered that he was throwing up so much because of an allergy to dairy. We eventually switched to soy formula, and everyone was happy.

My nephew was known as "Little Lord Fauntleroy" as a baby, and we affectionately called my son "Drama King." :P

Go fuck yourself.

Do you realize that she was not singling anyone out? She was making an observation about a small portion of mothers.

But right now, while they're all teenagers and it's like living with four really cool adults who share most of my likes and dislikes and do things like cook dinner 3 nights a week and clean the house for me while I'm out? It ROCKS.

I'm in that stage, too. Turns out you don't have to hit them with plumbing line to get there.

Somebody needs to buy fucking Dora a GPS. I break out if I hear that song now.

I used to think I hated Dora after watching a 4 year old most afternoons for a year. Now I work with kids a lot and Child Life has an ipad with ONE Dora episode (Dora goes to the doctor). We use it a minimum of 6 times a shift, often more. If it wasn't so effective at distracting scared kids, I would have "accidentally" deleted it a week into my job.

Oh, dear.

I'm sorry for anyone I offended, and I can see why my comments were offensive.

I chose my words poorly. I was only referring to a very small subset of mothers who forget that they had friends and interests before they had children.

Archived