IGNORED

Another Creation museum

RandomTrivia

The Smithsonian magazine sponsors Museum Day every year, and you can get a free ticket to various museums. I was checking to see which ones were nearby and found the Orion Center CreationXpo (CreationXpo.com) - way too close to "home" for my comfort.

"We’re not just an anti-evolution science center. We are proponents of examining the world like a scientist with the thought in mind that it is the product of design instead of simply material processes. Once you are freed from a materialistic bias, it’s easy to see the hand of a Creator in the stuff of nature."

They're also on Facebook as CreationXpo, where you can learn that homeschooled students outperform 87% of all students, and that somehow these guys own a Mercury capsule.

Public school classes are taking field trips to this place. :shock: Do we have a "Speechless because my brain just exploded" smiley, because I think mine did. How the hell is this not violating church/state separation? Yeah, I know, it's the middle of nowhere, to get to a decent science museum means driving to St Louis or KC, 3-4 hours on a school bus, but still.

Found a review of the Creationist Zoo. Think it was written by a FJ-er.

vice.com/en_uk/read/the-creationist-zoo-in-bristol?Contentpage=1

One of my favourite things about deeply religious people is how unbelievably naive they are when it comes to double entendres. True wild asses come from Africa, eh? Imagine the joy of being a teacher leading a class of twelve-year-old boys past that one.

Apparently business isn't so good at CreationXpo - they're trying to sell their building after only two years and relocate (and begging for donations, of course). Seem to be selling their Mercury capsule to the Swiss Space Museum, and sold their Starlab planetarium to an "educator" in Oklahoma, who's planning a "Gospel in the Stars" program (so at least their loss will still promote spreading the Gospel, hallelujah!!11!!). Their TripAdvisor blurb claims that they have "space exhibits from the St. Louis Science Center" - which makes me wonder, wouldn't the SLSC be more discriminating about who they loaned things too, or do they figure any exposure is better than none?

I can understand home-school and church groups visiting, but I've seen at least 3 public schools mentioned as taking field trips to this place - which spreads the "Dinosaurs = Dragons" malarkey. Dragons were really pterosaurs, you know. And the "Creation Ammo" section of their site is equally laughable. But I would still throw such a fit if my kid's school even considered a trip to this place.

I don't see how these "creation museums" can last long term. They're all essentially one trick ponies and probably don't engage in collection development or traveling exhibits, because their primary goal is apologetics, not research or education. The only people who seem to visit "creation museums" are fundamentalist Christians, which isn't enough of an audience to pay for those ridiculous animatronics. People from all over the world aren't lining up to visit these places like they are to, say, the Metropolitian Museum of Art or the Museum of Natural History.

Archived