IGNORED

Anti Vaxx Megachurch Responsible for TX Measles Outbreak

rward

Also I'm old enough to have a relative that suffered from post polio syndrome. Yes, my grandfather survived but he was damaged forever by what happened when he was 9. It is very easy to forget how horrible people suffered if you didn't see it yourself.

My mom is starting to have problems with post-polio. She had a very very mild case of polio when she was 5.. so mild that she had no lingering effects for years but now over the past couple of years she's had pain issues that they finally have figured out are due to that mild case of polio.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anti Vaxx bullshit makes me seriously ragey. My SIL is having a baby, so I got the TDaP booster on Friday. My arm still hurts and for about 12 hours, starting an hour after I got the vaccine, I felt icky- a little feverish and achy and tired. My coworker was going on and on about how vaccines make you sick and she wouldn't take a vaccine and I finally slammed my hand down on my desk and shouted, "I'd rather feel a little icky than KILL A NEWBORN BABY by giving it Whooping Cough! I guess you don't agree!"

Nobody's talking to me today.

Agreed. I made sure to get my booster well before my niece was born even with her being induced a month early due to my sister's pre-eclampsia. I ended up with bronchitis that lasted 6 weeks and required 3 doctors visits and at least 2 different RXs not including an inhaler to finally shake - and I don't think the timing was a coincidence. I would do it again a thousand times over just to be sure my niece was safe and healthy and would remain that way.

IIRC, the chicken pox vaccine became available in 1995. I was born in the 80's so growing up, there was no vaccine.

I was born in 1979. Even though I spent the 2nd-to-last day of 7th grade with my best friend and she broke out later that night, I never got the chicken pox. So when the vaccine came out, my mom called to schedule an appointment for myself and my sister (blood titers showed we had never had it). We had to wait 3 weeks - our doctor had come down with it! For the first time, and he saw plenty of kids in his practice and was a father of four! That's slightly ironic. LOL

I am extremely grateful that they developed the vax because having it as an adult would be hell. I'm also planning on getting the shingles vaccine - my mom had the shingles recently and it was in her eye. She was extremely lucky to not have her sight be affected.

Lemon balm enemas? That doesn't sound pleasant.

Yeah, I didn't ask for details, but I think an eye dropper was mentioned. :ew: When my son had issues, we just spiked his food or bottle with white grape juice, or prune juice in rare cases, and that took care of it. I had to remember to stay home for a few hours after, though, because the aftermath could be pretty messy. Less traumatic than trying to stick an eye dropper of lemon balm liquid up his bum, though.

Well the Duggars vaccinate, right? I know Josie was getting RSV shots. Does Gothard say anything about vaccinations? I'm under the impression a lot of fundies don't vax their kids.

I think the duggars are selective about the vaccinations the children get. They are strong anti choice. I know a few anti choice people who wont give their children specific vaccinations because they are grown on tissue that was once from an aborted fetus. Chicken pox, MMR, polio, flu are a few of the vaccinations on that list.

http://www.cogforlife.org/vaccineListOrigFormat.pdf

My mom would give me suppositories. In her defense, I had stomach aches often and it sucked. As an adult, I'm better but I take a magnesium supplement because it helps :)

Interesting, Pulmozyne is on the list. Creon (digestive enzymes) for people with CF is made from pig intestines.

My mom would give me suppositories. In her defense, I had stomach aches often and it sucked. As an adult, I'm better but I take a magnesium supplement because it helps :)

Interesting, Pulmozyne is on the list. Creon (digestive enzymes) for people with CF is made from pig intestines.

I use naturally calm. It helps to keep things moving down there. It also tastes ok, way better then miralax.

Edit to add: I dont think the people who make the list know what they are talking about. They had pepsi on the list FFS. I think the list is for the most part made of internet rumors.

Also, what makes them think that the pharma companies in the US will start to make a "ethical'" version of a vaccinate if ask them? There is a lot going on behind each new product in the market. You cant wave a magical wand and make all the bureaucracy go away simply because some parents asked you to.

So now I know who to thank for making us fit 8 kids under 6 into an exam room meant for one after they were all exposed to a cousin with measles. That was fun, especially when we had to draw titers on all of the kids.

I think any antivaxxer should be forced to see epiglottitis, chickenpox pneumonia and measles encephalopathy cases. Antivaxxers are one of the very few types of parents that I've seen ER docs lose it over.

IIRC, the chicken pox vaccine became available in 1995. I was born in the 80's so growing up, there was no vaccine. My niece got it as part of the MMR (now called MMRV). She did have febrile seizures shortly after the vaccination but she is fine now and continues to get all the vaccines she's supposed to have.

Like I said, since it comes bundled with MMR, I would let my child have it. It's quite possible I have just been lucky all these years and I HOPE I never get shingles.

As a medical resident, my mom did research/work with immunocompromised patients, in whom encephalitis (brain inflammation) is a not-uncommon chickenpox complication. And it's one of the most contagious diseases out there (even compared with other "childhood" diseases), it's one where very high levels of herd immunity are necessary for it to work. So by letting your kid have it you're not only protecting him/her from shingles, you're protecting the weakest members of your community from brain damage. :)

And while I understand worries with giving your child a very new vaccine, like Gardasil, it only contains viral proteins (no actual virus), the antigen loads in modern vaccines are miniscule compared to what you or I got as children, and it protects against some really nasty cancers, so don't dismiss it lightly.

Man, reading this thread makes me super glad I got the chicken pox vaccine when it was first required for schools.

Also I remember some girl in my elementary school coming to school when she had chicken pox all over her face. It was terrifying. In retrospect, it was probably dumb to have her in school and was probably the reason for all the kids in my kindergarten class that got chicken pox.

Anyway, I have all of my vaccines (including Gardasil) and I'm super proud to be part of the herd immunity that protects babies, old people, and the immunocompromised. Yay vaccines!

Just read an article the other day about a new flu vaxx that uses genetically modified insect cells instead of egg in it, created to help those with egg allergies. I have elderly parents and young children so we all get the shot every year. I am sure there will be a ton of controversy about the GM insect shot, but the flu is not a laughing matter. Just read any book about the great pandemics and even recent articles about unusual strain outbreaks and it gets scary.

I just wanted to jump in quickly regarding MMRV vaccine vs. the separate MMR and varicella vaccines. I've seen it mentioned several times in this discussion that they're combined these days.

That is partially true. I work in a pediatric clinic and give vaccines all day, every day. When MMRV first came out, it caused an increase in febrile seizures after administration. It was taken off the market. Studies were done that determined that the risk for febrile seizures after having MMRV was mostly associated with the first dose given at age one and/or in those who have a family history of seizure disorder.

It's back on the market now but given only to children getting the second dose at age four or five and only then if neither they nor anyone in their immediate family has a seizure disorder.

The clinic where I work keeps the MMRV and the separated vaccines on hand to meet all the dosing needs.

Just read an article the other day about a new flu vaxx that uses genetically modified insect cells instead of egg in it, created to help those with egg allergies. I have elderly parents and young children so we all get the shot every year. I am sure there will be a ton of controversy about the GM insect shot, but the flu is not a laughing matter. Just read any book about the great pandemics and even recent articles about unusual strain outbreaks and it gets scary.

This. A friend of mine died of H1N1 complications almost 4 years ago, and this person was in their mid 20's and in otherwise good health. Also, while I did have all the doses of MMR, I had some bad batch and ended up getting mumps anyway. One thing I will say about the vaccine is that the case of mumps I had was so mild, I almost went to school with the swollen glands until my mom insisted I stay home. On the plus side, I could say that I started my summer vacation almost a week early, but I had to stay inside until the disease ran its course. There have been other cases like mine where someone got all doses of MMR and still came down with mumps.

I'm still planning to get the shingles vaccine as soon as I turn 60, as several relatives of mine had it, as we all had chickenpox at some point. There was no vaccine in my childhood, so I had it when I was a toddler, and my brother later got it in elementary school. My niece has gotten all her vaccines, and she's a typical kindergartener now.

I just wanted to jump in quickly regarding MMRV vaccine vs. the separate MMR and varicella vaccines. I've seen it mentioned several times in this discussion that they're combined these days.

That is partially true. I work in a pediatric clinic and give vaccines all day, every day. When MMRV first came out, it caused an increase in febrile seizures after administration. It was taken off the market. Studies were done that determined that the risk for febrile seizures after having MMRV was mostly associated with the first dose given at age one and/or in those who have a family history of seizure disorder.

It's back on the market now but given only to children getting the second dose at age four or five and only then if neither they nor anyone in their immediate family has a seizure disorder.

The clinic where I work keeps the MMRV and the separated vaccines on hand to meet all the dosing needs.

This is good to know. Can you say if I've read correctly, that you can no longer receive MMR in separate boosters? I was told by my doctor that I should space that one out for my theoretical kids; my twin had a really bad reaction. Very high fever, seizure, and afterwards he had a setback on his milestones. (he had been crawling and starting to stand, and regressed to pre crawling for a couple of months. I had a probably typical fever/bad day.) No, not autism, and whether connected or not, he does have some emotional/mental delays a an adult. Related, who knows? But because the reaction, I was told to be cautious.

I tripped over some sort of antivax newsletter on the internet, (talking about cancer causing virii being snuck into vaccines... yeah, okay.) But they mentioned that it was no longer an option to space them. Dubious news source, but I thought they were probably up on the latest thing we're "forced" to do, enough for me to ask. Is there an advantage to bundling them besides convenience, making sure everyone gets them in minimal visits? I'm all for vax, but my understanding of immune systems makes me think I'd rather have one every 8 weeks than 2-8 in a go.

This is good to know. Can you say if I've read correctly, that you can no longer receive MMR in separate boosters? I was told by my doctor that I should space that one out for my theoretical kids; my twin had a really bad reaction. Very high fever, seizure, and afterwards he had a setback on his milestones. (he had been crawling and starting to stand, and regressed to pre crawling for a couple of months. I had a probably typical fever/bad day.) No, not autism, and whether connected or not, he does have some emotional/mental delays a an adult. Related, who knows? But because the reaction, I was told to be cautious.

I tripped over some sort of antivax newsletter on the internet, (talking about cancer causing virii being snuck into vaccines... yeah, okay.) But they mentioned that it was no longer an option to space them. Dubious news source, but I thought they were probably up on the latest thing we're "forced" to do, enough for me to ask. Is there an advantage to bundling them besides convenience, making sure everyone gets them in minimal visits? I'm all for vax, but my understanding of immune systems makes me think I'd rather have one every 8 weeks than 2-8 in a go.

I think it's the case in Aus, at least. I recently tested not immune for rubella, and they didn't give me a rubella-only shot but the 3-in-1 MMR, I think because they just don't have them separate any more. /uninformed anecdote

MMR is not available in the U.S. as three separate shots.

That is sad about your twin's case. Vaccines are definitely not without risk. My ex-boyfriend's son became very ill the week after his second gardasil vaccine. He was hospitalized for 4 days with excruciating joint pain severe inflammation in his eyes, high fevers. His doctors think it was his immune system overreacting to the components of the vaccine. For about 6 months after, he stayed on anti-inflammatories and had regular follow ups to make sure the joint pain and eye problems were steadily improving. Because of all that, he's never getting the third dose if gardasil.

All that said up there, I'm still very much pro-vaccine. My kids have received all the required vaccines and the "optional" ones, too. We get flu vaccines every year. I firmly believe that the risks of not vaccinating far outweigh the risks of what can happen with unvaccinated people. It's downright scary.

One of the doctors I work with was discussing vaccines with an anti-vax parent recently. The parent said, "Yeah, but the chances of getting sick with this are like the chances of being struck by lightning." Doctor responded, "But if there's a lighting storm outside, you take your child inside and don't let her play in it, right?"

Edited because riffles.

Obvs, your egg allergy makes some vaxxes dangerous to you, but please don't act like chickenpox is a nothing disease. Everyone who had chickenpox is at risk for shingles. I have had shingles 4 times. (I'm 37.) I had it on my tongue. I cannot describe to you the pain of shingles. And I'm lucky. I did not end up with post herpetic neuralgia, a common complication of shingles. The pain becomes permanent with PHN, and treatments often don't work. Suicide is common for those with PHN.

As for guardisil, cervical cancer has become and entirely preventable disease. Why would you want to put anyone at risk of developing cancer when you can easily and safely prevent it?

The flu? The last time I had the flu, I was sick for 6 weeks and lost my job. 33,000 people die every year from the flu. Sure, you might just get sick for a week, but then you spread it to someone who is old, young or sick and they die.

You just reminded me to talk to my doctor about boosters / vaccines that I didn't get (Chickenpox specifically - can you get the vaccine if you've had the chickenpox?). My sister-in-law is preggers and I didn't even think about getting my shots updated before they're born! So thank you all for reminding me!

I agree with you flyawaystray, why not get the vaccines if they're available? They've been tested, and have been found to be more beneficial than harmful.

I shut down a vaccine debate pretty quickly once by saying "If an non-vaxxed kid comes near my dad it could KILL HIM" (He was fighting throat/mouth/tongue cancer at the time = suppressed immune system). That shut everyone up. People always seem to forget that REAL people die everyday from things we have vaccines for, and if our relatives who died of those things had access to vaccines I'm 100% sure they'd have gotten them.

Vaccination is a big issue for me, and I hate the "it could give my kid Autism" spiel - yeah maybe it could (although it hasn't been proven, so...) BUT not getting your kid vaccinated could KILL them - I'd rather have an Autistic kid than a dead one!

Update-The church is holding vaccination drives-

In the wake of the measles outbreak, however, Pearsons has urged followers to get vaccinated and the church has held several vaccination clinics, according to its website. Health officials said the church administration has been very cooperative in the outbreak investigation. Pearsons did not return an email from NBC News seeking comment.

“We continue to follow up on pending and confirmed cases to help in any way we can to keep the outbreak contained,†a church statement said. “We ask that others join us in prayers over this outbreak.â€

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/measles-o ... 8C11009315

According to the article the outbreak has only effected church goers, however they are concerned about the general population.

You just reminded me to talk to my doctor about boosters / vaccines that I didn't get (Chickenpox specifically - can you get the vaccine if you've had the chickenpox?). My sister-in-law is preggers and I didn't even think about getting my shots updated before they're born! So thank you all for reminding me!

I agree with you flyawaystray, why not get the vaccines if they're available? They've been tested, and have been found to be more beneficial than harmful.

I shut down a vaccine debate pretty quickly once by saying "If an non-vaxxed kid comes near my dad it could KILL HIM" (He was fighting throat/mouth/tongue cancer at the time = suppressed immune system). That shut everyone up. People always seem to forget that REAL people die everyday from things we have vaccines for, and if our relatives who died of those things had access to vaccines I'm 100% sure they'd have gotten them.

Vaccination is a big issue for me, and I hate the "it could give my kid Autism" spiel - yeah maybe it could (although it hasn't been proven, so...) BUT not getting your kid vaccinated could KILL them - I'd rather have an Autistic kid than a dead one!

I believe so. I had the chicken pox as a child but it wasn't a bad case at all, and I think that was an option my doctor gave me since I was concerned about if I was immune or not. The other was to get a blood test (titer) to show if I had the immunity or not, with getting the vaccine only if I didn't have immunity. Since I already needed bloodwork I had them run that and I was immune so no need for the vaccine for me.

I believe so. I had the chicken pox as a child but it wasn't a bad case at all, and I think that was an option my doctor gave me since I was concerned about if I was immune or not. The other was to get a blood test (titer) to show if I had the immunity or not, with getting the vaccine only if I didn't have immunity. Since I already needed bloodwork I had them run that and I was immune so no need for the vaccine for me.

Thanks! I'll add that to my list of "ask the doctor" questions! I'd hate to get these babies sick!

Interesting. I looked it up, it was approved by the FDA in January of this year. I'll ask my dr about it, but I think I am out of luck if he doesn't carry it, unless CVS or something would carry it.

My niece is turning 7, so she had to be 1-2 when she got the vaccine. There's no history of seizure disorders in the family. It just happened. And I know it's a one off thing but it was really scary. She's continues to get other vaccines and that was the only time she's ever had a reaction, thankfully.

On the other hand, I've had reactions because of allergies and my parents couldn't figure out it was eggs for the longest time, until I decided to make a egg mask facial when I was 12 and my face broke out in hives. Now I can't eat anything with eggs without the risk of anaphylaxis and it sucks because I'll ask if something has eggs in it, be told no, eat it, and have an allergic reaction anyway because yes, there's eggs and people don't realize it since it doesn't affect them.

I'm also allergic to some antibiotics like Cirpo and all sulfa drugs, which sucks. I know it's common but I went all these years on them and was fine and then boom, now I'm allergic.

Archived