IGNORED

Lori Wants Ladies to Shut Up in Church

Lori Paul is was full of bullshit about women, like the rest of the Bible and you.

When I visited Ephesus in Turkey, our tour guide pointed out the remains of a prison was where Paul was held for a year or so. I asked why they didn't keep him in there longer. :)

You mean the church (little c) of Christ. Because the church isn't important enough to be capitalized like Christ. I grew up in a church of Christ so conservative that we looked down on other churches of Christ as being backslidden for such offenses as women teaching bible studies, passing communion plates, allowing hand clapping, or using NIV bibles. I left when I was told that I had to run all my ideas for the youth program (which the ministers daughter and I basically did everything for) through an uninvolved man. Presumably because women shouldn't make decisions.

My fiancee was raised in that conservative church of Christ, but he left that church as soon as he was an adult because he had no problems with women in clergy and other leadership positions, and he thinks gays should be treated as human beings, not evil sinners.

Yes. also a Methodist but also went to a liberal Presbyterian church, and know American Baptists (vs southern) who also believe this. I think the quaker churches near our home when I was a kid also had women ministers. I would never attend a church that disallowed women ministers. As with the men, some are good, some aren't, but it has nothing to do with their being women.

One of my female ancestors was a Quaker minister back in the 1700s. The Society of Friends had women ministers from its beginnings in the 1600s.

I attend a Methodist Church now, which allows women ministers, readers, ushers, etc. When we were studying the passage in 1 Corinthians the pastor told us the verse was more about talking when you didn't know what you were talking about. The women in these churches had usually not become as educated about God as quickly as the men ( I don't remember why) and the reason that Paul wanted them to be silent in church is that they were being disruptive calling out in the service about things they knew nothing about. Has anyone else heard this interpretation.

I have. I believe it was in the book What Paul Really said About Women.

I've also heard that it was because men were undereducated and also women were ululating. So, IMHO, nobody knows for sure.

I attend a Methodist Church now, which allows women ministers, readers, ushers, etc. When we were studying the passage in 1 Corinthians the pastor told us the verse was more about talking when you didn't know what you were talking about. The women in these churches had usually not become as educated about God as quickly as the men ( I don't remember why) and the reason that Paul wanted them to be silent in church is that they were being disruptive calling out in the service about things they knew nothing about. Has anyone else heard this interpretation.

I have. I believe it was in the book What Paul Really said About Women.

I've also heard that it was because men were undereducated and also women were ululating. So, IMHO, nobody knows for sure.

I had heard (maybe on a different thread on fj?) that women were generally left out of religious things in other faiths, but men were not. So when the mass/ service was going on, women were bound to ask questions since they didn't know what was going on and here they were elevated to participants. The directive that women should be silent in church was originally supposed to be an order to the men to make sure that they taught women the things they, the men, had been taught so that women would not feel the need to ask questions during the service. Sources, citations, etc I do not have. This could also be entirely wrong. Just some version I heard. :)

Then she ends by spouting "separate but equal" bullshit.

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2013/08/women-silenced-in-church.html

Women cause chaos in the church? The church I attended as a child merged with another in the area due to declining membership in both. In order to preserve peace and fairness, they decided to build a new church rather than use one of the existing buildings. This was over 15 years ago. The "new church" is a big hole in the ground and has been for about 10 of those years (it took 5 years to find a building site). I've heard some of the phone calls regarding this issue and seen the men "in charge" discuss the topic after church. Talk about chaos!

I would love to see Lori debate the pastors at my church (husband and wife pair who share pastoral duties equally, and women are allowed leadership roles). The last disruption at my church was when the tornado sirens went off during Sunday evening services.

Archived