IGNORED

Fundie Organ Donation

docmom

It has always puzzled me that fundies, with their love of "life", don't do more to advance the cause of organ donation. I mean a group that insists that living women must give up their bodies so a fetus can live, would be expected to champion giving up organs after you're dead. Yet we hear very little on this from the fundies so imagine my surprise when driving in to work today I saw a huge billboard from a local mega-fundie-lite church saying "Be an organ donor". I was pleasantly surprised until I read further:

"Give your heart to Jesus" :pink-shock:

To me this is tasteless, demeaning and actually quite hurtful to people who really do need organs. You keep wondering how low they can stoop and they surprise each and every time!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blecchh.

In the fundy circle I grew up in, organ donation was frowned upon for a couple of different reasons: because it could be seen as enabling or excusing sinful behavior (e.g., you shouldn't donate your liver because it might go to an alcoholic), and also the idea that we should not mutilate our bodies, even after death, at risk of not being raptured whole from the grave.

I can't believe I just wrote that. My family and church was bat-shit :cray-cray:

I've never heard of any conservative or fundy church being against organ donation. The only group I've heard being against organ donation is the Jehovah's Witnesses

Blecchh.

In the fundy circle I grew up in, organ donation was frowned upon for a couple of different reasons: because it could be seen as enabling or excusing sinful behavior (e.g., you shouldn't donate your liver because it might go to an alcoholic), and also the idea that we should not mutilate our bodies, even after death, at risk of not being raptured whole from the grave.

I can't believe I just wrote that. My family and church was bat-shit :cray-cray:

They don't know what happens to a body once in it's grave?

A person's a person only in the womb!

That should be their new motto. Pro lifers don't give a rat's ass what happens to people on waiting lists for bone marrow transplants or organ donations.

It has always puzzled me that fundies, with their love of "life", don't do more to advance the cause of organ donation. I mean a group that insists that living women must give up their bodies so a fetus can live, would be expected to champion giving up organs after you're dead. Yet we hear very little on this from the fundies so imagine my surprise when driving in to work today I saw a huge billboard from a local mega-fundie-lite church saying "Be an organ donor". I was pleasantly surprised until I read further:

To me this is tasteless, demeaning and actually quite hurtful to people who really do need organs. You keep wondering how low they can stoop and they surprise each and every time!

I hope that someone from the community or their own congregation really raises a stink about how just incredibly inappropriate the billboard is. I will say a number of churches do allow the Red Cross to use their facilities for blood drives. I remember recently I was chatting with the lady drawing my blood and asked so how much is a pint of blood in terms of blood volume for the body. She said it's 10% and it's like you are tithing your body. I thought hmm interesting way to put it considering where we were.

Blecchh.

And yet I'm willing to bet that these same people would be more than willing to accept an organ donation if the shoe were on the other foot.

My personal belief is that if you are against donating an organ than you shouldn't be eligible to receive one as it's entirely hypocritical.

They don't know what happens to a body once in it's grave?

Well, sure, but...you know, I can't argue with that one. :lol: Probably something to do with, "natural decay vs. intentional mutiliation...blahbahblah"

And yet I'm willing to bet that these same people would be more than willing to accept an organ donation if the shoe were on the other foot.

My personal belief is that if you are against donating an organ than you shouldn't be eligible to receive one as it's entirely hypocritical.

Yes. I agree on both points.

FTR, I experienced a secret thrill of rebellion when I first got my drivers license and marked down YES to organ donation. And I would prefer to be cremated after they do all they can with my body. Because if there is a rapture, I know I won't be part of it :lol:

Yes. I agree on both points.

FTR, I experienced a secret thrill of rebellion when I first got my drivers license and marked down YES to organ donation. And I would prefer to be cremated after they do all they can with my body. Because if there is a rapture, I know I won't be part of it :lol:

good for you :clap:

I hope that someone from the community or their own congregation really raises a stink about how just incredibly inappropriate the billboard is.

Oh, I'll be writing to them. Might sic a couple of transplant awareness groups on them too.

I was told a lot of similar things at my Orthodox Hebrew school. That our organs might be given to someone who doesn't live a righteous life, that our bodies might not be whole when we are resurrected by the Messiah, that doctors won't fight as hard to save the life of an organ donor . . . I'm still trying to separate out the bullshit I was taught. At least now, there are more Jewish groups forming to promote the idea that organ donation is completely allowed according to Jewish law.

That is repugnant. My mother wanted to donate when she died, but she was too sick, and apparently none of her organs could be used -- according to my dad, anyway.

My aunt, who really lived and still lives a blameless life, was given a kidney by a selfless student who died in a car crash. Thank God no one judged her and her need without even knowing her.

I've seen a similar billboard before, but now I don't recall where or when. It is tacky message.

In my church accepting an organ was frowned upon as you'd be internalizing a part of a possibly bad person. Like that body part could be possessed or something. The heart was especially suspect since they had the notion that the soul was literally contained in the heart. :cray-cray:

I don't remember what the position on donating organs was, but I suspect it was similar to others who wouldn't donate in order to keep the body intact for the resurrection.

I'm glad I never needed an organ when I was growing up, and it was with a sense of glee I clicked yes for organ donation when I got my driver's license. Science can have my body and when they're done with it I'll have to put to the ground without a casket to make worm food.

Church I grew up in also was very anti-cremation and organ donation frowned upon as one was to keep their body intact (also no tattoos, ear/body piercing or other body modification). Oddly, donation of body to science for helping students learn anatomy via dissection was fine.

Isn't it strange to think that your God is so powerful that he can resurrect the dead but there's no way he could find your organs if your body weren't intact?

In my church accepting an organ was frowned upon as you'd be internalizing a part of a possibly bad person. Like that body part could be possessed or something. The heart was especially suspect since they had the notion that the soul was literally contained in the heart. :cray-cray:

Oh yes, I had forgotten about that point. It sounds like some of the superstitious Bill Gothard shit, like "no t-shirts with rock stars on them because you will allow SATAN into your life!!"

As a child, I was in 4-H and participated in the county public speaking competition. One year, a girl prefaced her persuasive speech with something along the lines of, "Before I begin, I know I am speaking about a controversial topic and that some of you in this room may not agree with me. You may even believe that what I am arguing for is completely immoral. I only ask that you would hear me out and listen to my speech with respect." I was expecting that she was going to speak about like, polygamy or legalizing heroin or something. But no, it was a speech in support of organ donation. No way did it need that level of disclaimer.

I have never, ever understood why there is any controversy over organ donation, either. You can't take it with you. For what it's worth, my parents were rather fundie when I was growing up (but have steadily liberalized in their views) and still strongly supported my becoming an organ donor when I got my driver's license. I do wish that more religious groups would encourage the practice more actively.

A fairly fundie-ish family I know of just lost two children in a car wreck. They chose to donate everything they could, and it seemed to bring them some comfort to know it was helping others. Very sad, but I was at least glad to see that.

I know the Maori people tend to be against organ donation for spiritual reasons, but a number of Maori people are starting to challenge this, saying that saving lives should trump spiritual belief.

The story of [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Green]Nicholas Green[/link] is pretty amazing. He was an American boy killed on a family vacation to Italy. His family chose to donate his organs. The story received quite a bit of attention and is credited with dramatically increasing the previously nearly non-existent organ donation rate in Italy.

Being against organ donation because of a belief that you would need your body to be whole in the afterlife, has always puzzled me. What about people who die in violent ways like car accidents, war, house fires? Should people refuse to have cataracts removed because God won't let you in to heaven without all your original parts? I just don't understand that mindset. :shrug:

It's also puzzling, because in this fundie mindset, any miscarriages become whole and perfect children in the afterlife.

Blecchh.

Please forgive me if someone else said this (I just started reading this thread), but alcoholics don't get transplanted livers often because they'll "ruin" the new one too - at least that's what I've heard.

Please forgive me if someone else said this (I just started reading this thread), but alcoholics don't get transplanted livers often because they'll "ruin" the new one too - at least that's what I've heard.

Unless you are rich and famous like Mickey Mantle. He got a liver transplant within days of being listed. He also had liver cancer and cirrhosis due to being an alcoholic. He died within the year.

Unless you are rich and famous like Mickey Mantle. He got a liver transplant within days of being listed. He also had liver cancer and cirrhosis due to being an alcoholic. He died within the year.

Add David Crosby and Larry Hagman to that list.

Yes, I was thinking there had been several famous people who received transplants who may not necessarily have been considered "ideal" candidates. And it's just these sort of examples that would fuel the righteous indignation of those who oppose organ donation, because obviously, once you're gone you can't mandate that your organs go only to independent fundamental KJV 1611 Bible-believing Christians :roll: (or whatever flavor of fundy they prefer).

Blecchh.

None of my fundy family members are registered as organ donors. I always just assumed it was paranoia that if they ended up in an emergency room they'd be declared dead and harvested.

Archived