IGNORED

Fundie Organ Donation

docmom

I've seen a similar billboard before, but now I don't recall where or when. It is tacky message.

In my church accepting an organ was frowned upon as you'd be internalizing a part of a possibly bad person. Like that body part could be possessed or something. The heart was especially suspect since they had the notion that the soul was literally contained in the heart. :cray-cray:

I don't remember what the position on donating organs was, but I suspect it was similar to others who wouldn't donate in order to keep the body intact for the resurrection.

I'm glad I never needed an organ when I was growing up, and it was with a sense of glee I clicked yes for organ donation when I got my driver's license. Science can have my body and when they're done with it I'll have to put to the ground without a casket to make worm food.

If you are in the US, this is actually illegal in some states. The casket itself is encased in a cement box underground, which has to be sealed according to some set of standards. It has something to do with drainage, decay, and keeping water supplies safe. It also makes exhumation easier.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are in the US, this is actually illegal in some states. The casket itself is encased in a cement box underground, which has to be sealed according to some set of standards. It has something to do with drainage, decay, and keeping water supplies safe. It also makes exhumation easier.

There are at least a few cemeteries that allow burial without caskets in the US, you just need to look around for them. If it's something you feel very strongly about you might want to look into and set things up ahead of time. Some places to check out are Ramsey Creek Preserve in South Carolina, Circle Sanctuary in Wisconsin (Wiccan), and Fernwood in California. Awhile back I saw a documentary about one of these green cemeteries, Fernwood I think, that was using some kind of locator device to track where burials were since they didn't have markers (maybe RFID chips? it was in a green ball that was buried with the person).

I have had a corneal transplant.

So at the rapture, who has my cornea? Is it still in my eye, or is it back in my donor's eye?

Ohhhboy. What about people who've had liposuction? Will they have to be reunited with their resurrected fat cells?

I am just finishing up a class called "THe Body in Western Christianity" and you might be surprised how much early church fathers argued and agonized over the idea of "not being raptured whole from the grave". So your family might not be that unusual. . .

Naaah. They're still batshit :lol: Believe me.

I have learned a lot from this thread, though. I appreciate everyone's contributions. I told DH this week about my wishes to donate, in case there is any question if/when that time comes. I like the changes in the law in NY and hope that serves as a precedent across the states.

Ohhhboy. What about people who've had liposuction? Will they have to be reunited with their resurrected fat cells?

Which will only be made more complicated if said fat cells are sentient.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjpnbyRvOtnzxvXw2hCwzHjC86Q6c5baaHHiQFUwyiQNaqfO6P

Which will only be made more complicated if said fat cells are sentient.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjpnbyRvOtnzxvXw2hCwzHjC86Q6c5baaHHiQFUwyiQNaqfO6P

The end of that episode kinda looked like a little Fat-Rapture, now that I think about it. Mind. Blown.

My brother died a few years ago from an unexpected accident. We, his family, choose to donate his organs and tissues. We weren't sure what he'd have wanted. He was brain dead with healthy organs and it seemed a waste to let them die with him. We got dealt a crappy set of cards and no amount of begging and praying was going to bring him back. They found matches for his heart, pancreas, both kidneys, and the liver was split between two people. They couldn't find a match for his lungs so they went to science. We did get to learn a few basic details about the recipients like their ages, gender, marital status, rather or not they had kids. We even got letters and sympathy cards from some of them sent through the organ donation center.

I wish more people would choose donation. I understand those that have strong religious views against it. although i wish they could see that maybe this is God's work in our modern times. after all there was no organ donation during the time of the bible.

Edited to add that that is one of the favorite episodes of Doctor Who.

My brother died a few years ago from an unexpected accident. We, his family, choose to donate his organs and tissues. We weren't sure what he'd have wanted. He was brain dead with healthy organs and it seemed a waste to let them die with him. We got dealt a crappy set of cards and no amount of begging and praying was going to bring him back. They found matches for his heart, pancreas, both kidneys, and the liver was split between two people. They couldn't find a match for his lungs so they went to science. We did get to learn a few basic details about the recipients like their ages, gender, marital status, rather or not they had kids. We even got letters and sympathy cards from some of them sent through the organ donation center.

I wish more people would choose donation. I understand those that have strong religious views against it. although i wish they could see that maybe this is God's work in our modern times. after all there was no organ donation during the time of the bible.

Edited to add that that is one of the favorite episodes of Doctor Who.

Sounds very pro life to me.

The fundie baptist side of my family is opposed to most organ donations due to the bible verse stating "Life is in the blood", or something like that. They would never consent to any organ donation that required a neurological, not cardiac death, as they don't believe a neurological death is biblically valid and probably just an attempt on the part of doctors to harvest organs under false pretenses. Unfortunately, that rules out everything except some bodily tissues and living kidney donation. I hope they're never in the position to need an organ themselves, because if they accept one, the hypocrisy of it all will make me see stars.

Fundies over here don't recognize brain death. Taking a person of life support is considered euthanasia by them. They think a brain dead person will wake up when you play their favorite music and pray! :pull-hair:

Tissue and kidney donation could be done, but if they do, they don't talk about it. They will do "living" kidney or liver donation within the family, I've heard about multiple cases...

Receiving a donor organ never seems a problem for them. Receiving blood isn't either, but I never encountered a fundie giving blood. Receiving vaccinations is a big issue, but that's an other topic :doh:

Fundies over here don't recognize brain death. Taking a person of life support is considered euthanasia by them. They think a brain dead person will wake up when you play their favorite music and pray! :pull-hair:

Tissue and kidney donation could be done, but if they do, they don't talk about it. They will do "living" kidney or liver donation within the family, I've heard about multiple cases...

Receiving a donor organ never seems a problem for them. Receiving blood isn't either, but I never encountered a fundie giving blood. Receiving vaccinations is a big issue, but that's an other topic :doh:

Maybe cause for fundies, brains arent important, especially for women. I suppose they dont think brains are necessary for survival?

Also, I dont think it is against fundie rules to give blood as Jimbob forced the Jslaves to in one episode of 19 Kids and Counting about 3 years ago (what a dick, shows how much he respects their bodies). I guess its maybe because most fundie adult women are always pregnant, and fundie men would never dream of doing something like that as they dont seem to care for other people.

Years ago, I remember reading about some country where organ donation was automatic unless you deliberately opted out. The theory was that most people have no issue with it, they just can't be bothered/don't want to think about it. I thought it was a good idea, but can't remember what country it was.

I know a little boy who was born with no kidneys and has had so many surgeries and issues in his short couple of years. He was finally big enough for a transplant and his mom was a match, but he's still had rejection issues. Really hoping they've finally got the right level of meds so the kidney isn't damaged further and he can avoid hospitals for awhile. His mom is amazing, really.

Sounds very pro life to me.

Honestly, this is why I loathe the term "pro-life" and refuse to concede that to them. I am a registered organ donor, and I also donate blood on a regular basis. I've saved more actual lives than most people who are against abortion. Yet I am pro-choice. It makes me seethe with rage whenever they have the gall to imply that they care about life more than I do. I don't use the term "pro-life" to describe myself though because they have warped it. Nobody is anti-life except murderers.

I recently treated a very sweet amish couple. The husband had kidney transplant several years ago, after being on a peritoneal dialysis cycler for four years. He came in with a rip-roaring UTI and anemia that necessitated receiving 2 units of PRBC's. I wish I hadn't been so busy that night. They were so open to conversation that I would have loved to have time to pick their brains regarding how they reconciled transplant tech with their religious beliefs. They also seemed very realistic with their modesty standards and allowed me to assess the body parts I needed to assess Super wonderful people though, always asking if they could do anything to help me or the other patients. They seemed to exhibit christianity at its best.

I recently treated a very sweet amish couple. The husband had kidney transplant several years ago, after being on a peritoneal dialysis cycler for four years. He came in with a rip-roaring UTI and anemia that necessitated receiving 2 units of PRBC's. I wish I hadn't been so busy that night. They were so open to conversation that I would have loved to have time to pick their brains regarding how they reconciled transplant tech with their religious beliefs. They also seemed very realistic with their modesty standards and allowed me to assess the body parts I needed to assess Super wonderful people though, always asking if they could do anything to help me or the other patients. They seemed to exhibit christianity at its best.

A lot of people misunderstand the Amish. They're anti-technology just for its own sake. They believe in community inter-dependence and feel that technology and education allow people to become prideful and feel like they don't need their community anymore. Medical technology is fine because they don't think that being healthy will make someone prideful, and they also don't believe that everyone else (such as doctors) should live the same life as them. I don't agree with their lifestyle at all, but when you understand their motivations it's easier to see how certain things can fit within their beliefs without them being hypocritical. As for the whole modesty thing, theirs is less about sexual impurity and more about, once again, not being prideful. Modesty has never been about looking un-sexual until the fundies became all obsessed with this purity nonsense. The Amish believe that dark, non-flashy colors are more important than covering skin.

I disagree with you though that they exhibit Christianity at it's best. First of all, Christians aren't better than everyone else, and it's quite insulting to me that you seem to think politeness and helpfulness are Christian things rather than just general human things. However, the Amish still have plenty of their own problems, especially when dealing with sexual abuse and spousal abuse. They still beat their kids too. For as much as they act like they care about everyone being on the same level without any classes, they are very slow to act when the underprivileged in their groups are being victimized, partly because they try so hard to believe that nobody within the group is less privileged than anyone else. It's also much easier to tell rape victims to shut up and move on than it is to actually deal with rapists, and they're even worse than general society in that regard.

Re: missing body parts coming back to you at The Rapture: umbilical cords and placentas, anyone? Poor fundie mothers dragging a dozen 'babies' behind them in heaven.

Blech!

Archived