IGNORED

modest or ridiculous (or both)

0 kids n not countin

I didn't even notice the t-shirt, I was too busy admiring how bangin her body looks in that figure-hugging dress. Which is the real reason she is wearing this outfit methinks. She looks hot in it but she can say its "modest" because you can't see her legs or shoulders.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At first I thought this was some insane new fundy bathing suit. The pattern and color look like a swimsuit.

I'm more confused by the neckline. Has it been raised by sewing a panel of the same/similar fabric across it? It just doesn't look quite right.

Maybe the neckline looks weird because she accidentally wore the dress backwards? That would certainly explain the funky-looking front seam.

Maybe the neckline looks weird because she accidentally wore the dress backwards? That would certainly explain the funky-looking front seam.

I would believe that. Especially from Olivia. She never struck me as the brightest...

I don't sew but that dress just looks off to me. Like it isn't fitted correctly and the weird seam down the middle and the weird neck line and the print and the shirt. All together it makes one awkward outfit.

Yeah - it looks like it's too tight! The seam is making me :pink-shock:. The brown shirt looks silly - I think a cardigan / bolero / shell would look a lot better.

PS: Are those fabric covered buttons on the front?

I'm also one who thought it looked more like a fundie swimsuit because of the pattern. To me, the t-shirt underneath is not just something fundamentalist Christians wear, but many non-polygamist Mormons do as well.

I would believe that. Especially from Olivia. She never struck me as the brightest...

I would go with the she's-wearing-it-backwards theory, if only she were more flat-chested. But Olivia is exceptionally well-endowed, and unless this is a stretch fabric, it's unlikely that it would fit at all backwards.

Yeah - it looks like it's too tight! The seam is making me :pink-shock:. The brown shirt looks silly - I think a cardigan / bolero / shell would look a lot better.

PS: Are those fabric covered buttons on the front?

Those are fabric covered buttons! This dress is getting stranger the longer I look at it.

Those are fabric covered buttons! This dress is getting stranger the longer I look at it.

Oh wow, I didn't even see the buttons! I think it's also got some sort of odd collar (well, not really a collar, but an extra panel at the neckline). I think the blinding combination of the color and pattern make it difficult to see all of the insane details...which might actually be the only good thing about the entire dress.

I would go with the she's-wearing-it-backwards theory, if only she were more flat-chested. But Olivia is exceptionally well-endowed, and unless this is a stretch fabric, it's unlikely that it would fit at all backwards.

Very true. I think it would help to know what type of fabric this is - if it's cotton, there's zero way she managed to wear it backwards. If it's a more stretchy material, or if it's the same type of synthetic fabric that sarongs tend to be made out of, then it's quite possible that it's backwards.

*shrug* Either way, the dress is odd.

Very true. I think it would help to know what type of fabric this is - if it's cotton, there's zero way she managed to wear it backwards. If it's a more stretchy material, or if it's the same type of synthetic fabric that sarongs tend to be made out of, then it's quite possible that it's backwards.

*shrug* Either way, the dress is odd.

On her site she also has a photo that shows the back of the dress, which also has the weird collar panel and an unmatched seam. So there is plenty odd about the dress but I don't think having it on backwards explains it.

She calls the fabric out for wrinkling easily, which leads me to think this isn't a knit-- they tend to drape nicely and any wrinkles hang out. One of the pics has the side seams all puckered... that points to home sewing without pressing the seam very well. I'm sad that someone went to the trouble to cover the buttons, but not the trouble to match the pattern at the front and back seams. It's time consuming, but it's not hard.

Rayon, maybe? It is just too long, too, too much of that freaking print. I can't tell you how pleasing it is, if one sews clothing, to correctly match a print. Whoever made this could have improved her self-esteem tenfold if she had just been a bit more careful with the seam.

who is this woman anyway? I haven't seen her before and am now itching to dig into her sewing ^^

freshmodesty.blogspot.com/

and

workingwitheagerhands.blogspot.com/

She's a talented at sewing. I like the navy lace dress she made to wear to a friend's wedding.

She's an interesting fundie. Most fundie girls wear a random shirt/frumper/flip flops combo, almost like a uniform. But this one's into nail polish, kitten heels, and belts.

She's an interesting fundie. Most fundie girls wear a random shirt/frumper/flip flops combo, almost like a uniform. But this one's into nail polish, kitten heels, and belts.

But remember her crazy swimwear? It was basically a purple striped dress with leggings. Totally clown and weird.

I think Olivia is cute and kind of dim. I think she would be adorable with John Maxwell, even cuter and probably a little less dim. She would also be a bright and shiny Christmas light in the crazy Maxwell kingdom. Hell, her dresses may be shorter than many but she still celebrates Resurrection Sunday and writes weird posts on Sunday sermons.

I may have a weird perception of modesty (thelarche hit me early and my continued development was ridiculous - so I've always been obsessive of not having anything snug or lowcut on my chest), but I think the dress isn't any more modest with the tshirt than without. Everything except the slightest bit of shoulder would still be covered. I think it really just serves as a symbol to remind everyone that she's "modester" than thou. That is is such a contradiction, actually. If she wore it with an undershirt that covered her clavicles and elbows, then I would buy the dress was originally that immodest in her eyes. This way it just looks like some awkward sleeves under a sleeveless dress. I know nothing about fashion, but I do agree that Olivia looks more put together than other young women on Modesty restrictions (Duggars/Maxwells/Bateses,etc). It's as though she wants to push for style within her constraints and she does make some interesting, fun choices.

If I didn't read through all the biblical quotes and Look at my Modesty™ posts, I'd think this was the blog of another pretty girl who likes to see herself/show herself off looking pretty in her creative wardrobe. But I have to wonder how clueless fundies really are. I don't know if double entendres go completely over their collective heads, or some of them are trying to see how far they can get. On one of her guest models' entry, there is a picture of said cute friend standing in front of a lovely mountain view. I kid you not, Olivia's caption says: "Hey y'all! Have an awesome outfit to share with you from the lovely Rachel! This is such a great outfit. And, check out those mountains! " A 13 year old boy must live inside of me because all I could think of was stupid boob jokes.

This thread is making me want to wear a particular maxi-dress today, ha! It is very low-cut and has spaghetti straps, and I usually wear a coordinating color tank top under it (still shows defrauding shoulders, but at least covers my cleavage higher than the nipple). And it's A-line and loose enough that my 37-weeks pregnant self can still wear it. There, I am purposed to wear it today.

Edited because of feline contribution to post.

I am encouraged and would love to fellowship with you,however,I am afraid that Jim Bob would yell 'NIKE!" if he happened to run across us.I would be greatly discouraged if I ever, knowingly or unknowingly, defrauded someone as vain as Jim Bob.

I will go back to talking in my baby voice now,and obeying my Patriarch.

::humbles self and walks off:: :D

Wait, so why are shoulders considered immodest? Is it because they're in the same geographical region as one's breasts? Or is it because if the shoulders are uncovered, that means that a greater overall percentage of skin is uncovered, thus giving the appearance of being more naked/less modest?

Archived