IGNORED

modest or ridiculous (or both)

0 kids n not countin

'The Hills are alive.........'

Still pretty sure that Maria did a better job of sewing the curtains into play-clothes, though. :lol:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you a fellow Bitter Kitten? I love Tom and Lorenzo!

::Raises hand!:: I am! I am! From the first year of Project Rungay, though I don't post much anymore. Same screen name, too!

I didn't notice the center seam right away (was looking for the shirt haha) but yeah. Not good...

And I agree about a shrug/sweater. I don't think the t-shirt is terrible with some styles of dresses - it at least makes more sense layered with something a lot more "skimpy" so you can see the t-shirt more* - but this one with the high neck and everything just made it look extra weird.

I tend to like Olivia's outfits in general even though sometimes they are overkill, but this one is pretty irredeemable to me haha.

*I totally pulled that today btw. Inspired by FJ. I was wearing a low-cut, spaghetti-strap dress and had to go to a meeting with my research preceptor. I didn't have time to go home and change after class (and it's a new dress and I just really wanted to wear it) so I brought a white t-shirt to pull on under it right before the meeting (shrug didn't work because it was still low-cut). My friend confirmed I looked like a Fundamentalist Christian and it was funny but ok for the situation at hand. lol

I did not notice the shirt as I was being blinded by the print. Okay to be fair the print is not horrible. Had the dress been a short "flouncy" dress with tank sleeves the print may not be bad. However, there is just SO MUCH bright print because it is so long. Just my opinion.

This is one of the reasons I have never been a fan of long skirts, and especially long dresses. No matter how fantastic a fabric it, 4 feet of it is just too much, unless it's neutral color like something you would wear for pants. In this particular case, it seems like it wasn't matched up very well and the seam is down the front instead of along the sides. At first I thought it was a print of some cartoon character's head and it took me a minute to figure out what it is. The 1.5 inches of sleeves are pointless though.

If you google "modest clothing," you get a page of images ranging from hijab worn with a turtleneck maxi-dress to a reboot of the '50's New Look without visible collarbones. :shrug: If she wants to say this is modest, fine, but in some parts of the world she would be underdressed for going out in public. Look at those arms, and that neck! And you can actually see her breathe!

But AFAICT, taking a sundress that already covers a lot by North American standards and putting it over a T-shirt has become a cultural marker. 9 times out of 10, you see a young woman dressed like this, her family is fundamentalist.

It looks like a tight fitting moo moo with a shirt underneath. :lol:

ETA: spelling error

uh yeah ridiculous.it would actually be cute if it were shorter though,and had spaghetti straps.minus the headgear as well...she's so covered she looks to be Amish,but I'm probably wrong and it's just full fundie.

I did not notice the shirt as I was being blinded by the print. Okay to be fair the print is not horrible. Had the dress been a short "flouncy" dress with tank sleeves the print may not be bad. However, there is just SO MUCH bright print because it is so long. Just my opinion.

I think it's a bit long, too. I opened the page and could see to about hip/thigh length. "Hmm, that dress is kind of cute (without the brown t-shirt)". Scroll down a bit more. "OK, getting a bit long." Keep scrolling. "Does the dress ever end?!" Then I noticed the centre seam, and it just got worse.

Is that supposed to be a head covering or has she had recent surgery? My friend recently had a melanoma off the top of her head and looked just like that for a few days.

I sometimes wear t-shirts under spaghetti straps dresses for warmth and had no idea it was a fundie look (I live in Europe). What's weird here is that the shirt doesn't much and doesn't really add a lot of length. I agree a cardigan would make more sense, since the dress itself isn't low-cut, or even one of those long sleeved "shells" Jewish Orthodox women seem to favour. But I find the print too garish and the dress too long (or maybe it's the combination of the two that's glaring) and if she had to wear a covering something in blue would have made more sense, it looks weird like this.

Overall, however, I've seen way more ridiculous outfits (both modest and not).

OMG, I committed the mistake of reading the comments to Olivia's "how to wear pants modestly" entry...most are ok, but then there's someone saying "wouldn't you be embarassed if Jesus saw you in jeans"? Firstly, I assume a real Christian would have other thoughts than what she was wearing if coming face to face with her saviour, secondly Jesus as he is described in the gospels doesn't look like someone who would care particularly what people wore, on the other hand he did have a few bones to pick with people who obsess about this kind of little issue (not to mention, NO ONE male, or female, wore pants in his time)...

OMG, I committed the mistake of reading the comments to Olivia's "how to wear pants modestly" entry...most are ok, but then there's someone saying "wouldn't you be embarassed if Jesus saw you in jeans"? Firstly, I assume a real Christian would have other thoughts than what she was wearing if coming face to face with her saviour, secondly Jesus as he is described in the gospels doesn't look like someone who would care particularly what people wore, on the other hand he did have a few bones to pick with people who obsess about this kind of little issue (not to mention, NO ONE male, or female, wore pants in his time)...

Oh, :roll: . If you follow that logic, Jesus sees you in the bathroom. And he wasn't mentioned anywhere in Scripture as being particularly concerned about fashion. These people need to read the Bible, not some guy's commentary on how he wants people to act. And you're right.... the Bible was written in a pantsless society.

Also, you should never have sex. What if Jesus saw you having sex? :pink-shock:

I'm more confused by the neckline. Has it been raised by sewing a panel of the same/similar fabric across it? It just doesn't look quite right.

Jesus isn't allowed-he's not married. But praying together for the Spirit to watch over you while you have sex is a fairly common in fundydom. Talk about weird. I wish I was joking...

Jesus isn't allowed-he's not married. But praying together for the Spirit to watch over you while you have sex is a fairly common in fundydom. Talk about weird. I wish I was joking...

I wish you were too :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You're having sex. Onlookers are generally regarded as an issue, unless specifically invited. Specifically invited onlookers...well, there's a name for that. It's not one that is usually applied to the Holy Spirit.

:pink-shock:

I'm more confused by the neckline. Has it been raised by sewing a panel of the same/similar fabric across it? It just doesn't look quite right.

I don't sew,but that's what it looks like to me.I get the impression the neckline was too low to be considered appropriate for her,so it was altered a bit.

This thread is making me want to wear a particular maxi-dress today, ha! It is very low-cut and has spaghetti straps, and I usually wear a coordinating color tank top under it (still shows defrauding shoulders, but at least covers my cleavage higher than the nipple). And it's A-line and loose enough that my 37-weeks pregnant self can still wear it. There, I am purposed to wear it today.

Edited because of feline contribution to post.

I don't sew but that dress just looks off to me. Like it isn't fitted correctly and the weird seam down the middle and the weird neck line and the print and the shirt. All together it makes one awkward outfit.

Sorry, haven't read this whole thread yet so don't know if this has been brought up, but that dress is in no way modest. yes, it covers everything. Still, it it very tight and form fitted, showing off her 'assets'. Honestly, it may be a little small on her with the way it bunches.

PS, I'm wearing a spagetti strap maxi dress, no t-shirt underneath (this is South Florida, people go around in bathing suits). This is why maidenform invented the strapless bra.

I don't sew,but that's what it looks like to me.I get the impression the neckline was too low to be considered appropriate for her,so it was altered a bit.

I do sew, and the more I go back and look at this, the more I think this young woman has spent a dollar on someone else's discarded sewing mistake. I've donated a few problem pieces with the idea that maybe a quilter will buy it for the fabric.... not that someone else would try wearing it in public.

Maybe the t-shirt underneath is worn so when she bends down to pick up a child, you won't be able to see down the dress. IDK... the dress looks comfortable. :)

Is the headband used as her "head covering?"

Archived