IGNORED

modest or ridiculous (or both)

0 kids n not countin

Some of her modest outfits I actually find cute, but this is just stupid imo, how does wearing a short sleeve top under this "already modest dress (imo)" make it modest? It looks ridiculous to me, what's wrong with just the dress? :wtf:

DSC_0206-2.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like it eliminates the chance for the pervy pastor to get a glance at the side of her bra.

Other than that, the ugly shirt is there just to say "IM MORE MODEST THAN YOU,WHORE."

Which is redundant, because the weirdly styled not-really-a-headcovering (it shows way too much hair) already screams it.

I did not notice the shirt as I was being blinded by the print. Okay to be fair the print is not horrible. Had the dress been a short "flouncy" dress with tank sleeves the print may not be bad. However, there is just SO MUCH bright print because it is so long. Just my opinion.

It covers her entire shoulder, that's how.

Doesn't look ridiculous to me. It's not really my style, but it's cute.

wow, who puts a centre seam on the front of a dress they're making from such a loudly patterned dress without pattern matching? in fact, who puts a centre seam on the front of ANY dress?

Why not just add little sleeves to it if you must? Or at the very least, use a top that matched, like maybe in that dark blue color at the neckline. And I am not the best seamstress, but I can NOT with that center front seam. Ugh.

It looks like it eliminates the chance for the pervy pastor to get a glance at the side of her bra.

Other than that, the ugly shirt is there just to say "IM MORE MODEST THAN YOU,WHORE."

Which is redundant, because the weirdly styled not-really-a-headcovering (it shows way too much hair) already screams it.

It seems like for a lot of Christians headcoverings aren't really about modesty, but just about having something on your head. It's a symbol of authority, and the Bible just says it's necessary during prayer and prophesy (an aside--I think a lot of fundies miss the implication here that women were praying and prophesying in church). I think the logic is that since you should be praying continually, you should be covering continually as well.

Back to the original topic, that really isn't a great look. It seems weird to have the t-shirt underneath when it barely covers any more than the dress, but I guess it does cover her shoulder a bit more.

I'll admit to doing the t-shirt under a dress look as a teen. We weren't really supposed to show shoulders in church and the like, so if you wanted to wear a lot of dresses you had to have that shirt underneath. (My parents actually didn't care, but I personally was uncomfortable baring my shoulders.)

Hopefully this is one of her thrift shop finds?? Surely she wouldn't make herself a dress that needed more fabric to be modest. She's a pretty decent seamstress, actually; it's odd to me that she'd settle for clothing that's under her standards and then need to add stuff like this to it.

Editing to add: I did my own homework and see that she paid $1 for it at the charity shop. That's a lot of dress for a dollar, so why not? If I were her, I'd take a few inches off the bottom, use the fabric for mini-sleeves like this shirt is doing, and wear it 'til it falls apart.

The color is off, but I've done the little t under a dress thing. It keeps shoulders covered, and prevents any view of bra straps or unshaved pits or that weird bit of fat just in front of the pits.

Three years ago I thought skinny jeans were the most ridiculous thing on the planet, I swore they didn't look good on anyone, and I had no idea why anyone would ever think they were a good idea. I now own three pairs of skinny jeans. So yeah... I try not to judge other's fashion choices too harshly. :P

wow, who puts a centre seam on the front of a dress they're making from such a loudly patterned dress without pattern matching? in fact, who puts a centre seam on the front of ANY dress?

Exactly!! The print is bloody awful too!

The center seam is weird (is it backwards, maybe?), and I'm not into the cut of the dress at all. But I don't think the tee is too off -- I have a halter sundress that I wear a tee with because I'm a 36h and no strapless in the world can hold these things up. But the print? Oh heck yes. I'd wear the hell out of that print. It's delightfully loud and colorful.

I like the fabric and would wear it a heartbeat, even in a maxi-dress like she's got on. I am nothing if not tacky.

But I don't know why she chose to layer this dress with a t-shirt. Why not pair it with a short-sleeved jacket in either the same fabric or in a matching solid color? That way she's got the neckline covered and roaming eyes can't see her delicate lady under thingies.

The way she's wearing it here, it's as if she's announcing "I am layering this dress that many women would wear just as it is BECAUSE I AM MODEST," which isn't exactly, you know, modest. :shrug:

I find the center seem off-putting. I would suggest wearing a bolaro over the dress instead of a tee-shirt underneath. That would make it modest without screaming "Look at me, I'm modest!"

Is it a head covering or just a wide headband?

Where is this picture from?

Exactly this. I've made dresses like hers before, and when I saw the pic, modest or ridiculous didn't even register. It was the fact that if the center seam belonged anywhere, it should have been on the back if the print was going to be so bright, loud and irregular.

That's often my gut reaction with fundie sewing, though - a lot of the fundie fashions the pop up here on FJ are oddly crafted.

Hopefully this is one of her thrift shop finds?? Surely she wouldn't make herself a dress that needed more fabric to be modest. She's a pretty decent seamstress, actually; it's odd to me that she'd settle for clothing that's under her standards and then need to add stuff like this to it.

Editing to add: I did my own homework and see that she paid $1 for it at the charity shop. That's a lot of dress for a dollar, so why not? If I were her, I'd take a few inches off the bottom, use the fabric for mini-sleeves like this shirt is doing, and wear it 'til it falls apart.

Heck, Sustainable Unicorn AKA Timothy from this season of Project Runway could do better than that. He dumpster dives for some of his fabric. At most, he got the cast off remnants at the fabric shop. At Mood, he went were no contestant had ever gone before -into the back room where they kept the scraps of cloth. In the auditions, he brought some fabric that he had hand woven out of old cassette tape. It was gorgeous! Now if only a) he turned out some good garments during the competition and b) if he'd stop being such a Sustainable Prick.

edited for riffles

Heck Sustainable Unicorn AKA Timothy from this season Project Runway could do better than that. He dumpster dives for some of his fabric. At most he got the cast off remnants at the fabric shop. At Mood, he went were no contestant had ever gone before -into the back room where they kept the scraps of cloth. In the auditions, he brought some fabric that he hand wove out of old cassette tape. It was gorgeous! Now if only a) he turned out some good garments during the competition and b) if he'd stop being such a Sustainable Prick.

Are you a fellow Bitter Kitten? I love Tom and Lorenzo!

It looks like a modest swimsuit with an aquarium theme which mutated into a dress. The mismatched front seam just makes it worse.

Me, me! I'm one of the Precious Unborn Fawns, too! TLo are two of my favorite people on the planet. :greetings-clappingyellow:

Excuse me if this is a dumb question but why doesn't she just wear a short sweater or shawl over the dress instead of wearing the T-Shirt? It would still cover her shoulders and might look less tacky in my opinion.

YES!! I was so happy that they finally tied the knot last week. Not only that, they got married at Emmett McCarthy's shop. Emmett is one of my all-time favorites on PR.

YES!! I was so happy that they finally tied the knot last week. Not only that, they got married at Emmett McCarthy's shop. Emmett is one of my all-time favorites on PR.

I'm forever grateful that they finally had the legal go-ahead to tie the knot... WTG New York!!

Poor Olivia... she would pass out if she knew her muumuu was being discussed on a thread high-fiving equal marriage rights.

Archived