IGNORED

how much did "ruth" make?

Daisy4

Mckmama got caught. She owes the IRS hundreds of thousands of dollars by not reporting income from her blogs. I am not sure, however, if this was just blog income or if it included donations via the blog (she reportedly had a dying child and a "tip cup" as well).

I also don't know if Paypal reports income?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never donated but only bc I remember someone faking cancer when I first got online on an old days of our lives board and it forever hardened my heart. But I still feel fooled bc her story resonated with me and I even emailed her once expressing I understood where she was coming from. I was raised extreme fundie and some of her entries sent me back into my own. Ugh. Anyways, the timing on this whole thing coming to light is tripping me out. I'm home recovering from open heart and I have all the time in the world while I recover to get caught up on the threads and read the comments. The people that donated, I know it must feel awful, but you are good people and have nothing to be ashamed over. I wouldn't even say lesson learned because donating your hard earned money to someone online in order to help them speaks of your caliber as a person.

I didn't know anyone contributed money to Pennmommy. I never saw an address to mail a check and she had no donate buttons on her short-lived blog.

Mckmama got caught. She owes the IRS hundreds of thousands of dollars by not reporting income from her blogs. I am not sure, however, if this was just blog income or if it included donations via the blog (she reportedly had a dying child and a "tip cup" as well).

I have wondered if Paypal has any accountability for transaction reporting, especially since they do so many international exchanges.

I didn't know anyone contributed money to Pennmommy. I never saw an address to mail a check and she had no donate buttons on her short-lived blog.

I paypalled her. I don't believe she asked for money, in fact, I believe she specifically asked not to send money and to send prayers. But having gone through a similar situation, I understood that money is always helpful and sent it. She accepted it (with paypal, you can decline it). Although she was found out pretty quickly afterwards, I never requested the money back via paypal because it was such a small amount. I want to say $10.

I do believe after the PennMommy scandal all came down, there were people who said she had been scamming people for money for things like window darkening stickies because she had migraines or something? It was five or six years ago at this point.

I have wondered if Paypal has any accountability for transaction reporting, especially since they do so many international exchanges.

Occasionally my customers use PayPal for my business, and I have never gotten any sort of paperwork from them (PP), not even for international stuff. This year was the first year that I got anything from the credit card processor that I use (separate from PP). The rules recently changed for that, and it actually made it easier for me this year. Of course if you're trying to cheat it would be a problem.

Paypal does have to issue 1099s, but only if the account gets more than $20,000 or gets more than 200 separate payments sent in.

I believe that PayPal reports anything over $600/year, or a certain number of transactions. That's only in the last few years though. Still, it's an interesting angle. Would be most amusing if she got caught out for evading taxes!

I donated about $30 (in two donations a couple months apart) and no, never got a thank you for either one. Don't think I got a thank you when I sent gifts to scarlett75's son either, for that matter.

Maybe if she thanked you, she would be acknowledging the gift for IRS purposes?

Makes me wonder if LittleTait's parents thanked anyone, either.

Archived