IGNORED

how much did "ruth" make?

Daisy4

I never donated cash but did offer her an old laptop once with no reply from her. It was when she mentioned her sister was using her laptop to watch movies. We have a bunch laying around the house my husband scavenges them from work and plays with then usually ends up donating them to my friend's church.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, no sister, I just meant this is something that I never seem to be able to get, no matter how many times reality lays it down in front of me. I just keep stepping over it and pretending I don't see it, because people are good, right? And good people don't do that, right? I know, naive, and I'm not especially naive in the rest of life, but when it comes to recognizing when people don't deserve the benefit of the doubt, I'm not the best dog for that task...

I know; I have no sister either. :mrgreen: I just meant that I also have this gene.

Wow, RR scammed about $2000 just from the twenty people who acknowledged their donations on this thread. I am clearly in the wrong line of work. Oh wait, I have morals.

LOL!! Me, too.

I know; I have no sister either. :mrgreen: I just meant that I also have this gene.

Ah, gotcha. I'm also slow on the uptake sometimes... :embarrassed:

Allow me to have a do-over?

Sister?

"Sister, right on!" :romance-grouphug:

I'm looking for a headline in tomorrow morning's news: "California Woman's Pants Catch Fire." But, sadly they won't.

I'm looking for a headline in tomorrow morning's news: "California Woman's Pants Catch Fire." But, sadly they won't.

Very unfortunate, isn't it?

I have to wonder if it was the same person who scammed you before. She's been doing this for a long, loooong time.

But there are many, many Internet scammers out there. While many of them run multiple scams......there are still a multitude of individual scam artists.

I realized after reading through this thread that what I posted was confusing. I donated a total of $140 over the course of 2.5 years. The total number of times I donated money was 4. Sorry for the confusion. ;)

I realized after reading through this thread that what I posted was confusing. I donated a total of $140 over the course of 2.5 years. The total number of times I donated money was 4. Sorry for the confusion. ;)

I guessed that was the meaning you were going for. Or hoped, maybe. :) I added you in at $140

I donated $25.00. thankfully that was my only donation. I knew what it was to be a starving student (but that was before the blogs and such were so popular).

I wonder if her blog will get pulled from NLQ if Vyckie cares that its a scam.

Yeah I was wondering about that too. Obviously, she has had doubts for years. I hope so, even though it is actually a pretty decently written story.

Apparently Vycki is doing her best petulant teenager impression at the moment. Not only does she not want to know, FJ are just a bunch of bitches who are out to get her or something... I don't have the link at the moment but Google is your friend (or there's a link on the Chatter thread).

$20. I was pretty skint at the time, too.

I really hope that I don't ever find all of this information from all the lovely, generous people on here turned into an article on the internet somewhere. Or into a news story. Sad, to have to be so suspicious.

I've just spent a long time reading this thread. While I never donated to RR, I was intrigued by her blog. I always thought her writing skills were beyond what she claimed her age to be, but always dismissed it as that there are a few college-aged students that can write brilliantly and maybe she was just one of them.

I will say I always thought in the back of my mind that she was conducting some kind of social media experiment and that maybe she was in the process of writing a book and needed to substantiate her following in order to do so. I didn't realize how much money she was bringing in via the blog. And her timing was brilliant -- never posting daily, but posting just often enough to keep stringing people along. Well done, Ruth. Or Roger. Or whatever your name is.

But the idea that this person got away with what she/he did is awful. Sure, it's fun to make fun of fundies and I guess we can't question how Ruth would have so much knowledge of the fundie lifestyle (maybe it was real, maybe it was researched), but how scam artists sleep at night I will never know. RIP Ruth!

yep.....strangely I like the fictional character that Ruth is (mostly...not everything)...but I don't like that she turned out to be fictional....kwim?

So I looked through my receipts and I sent $20 for Rachel last year. *sigh* I should have kept the purse strings shut.

Two things came to my mind when I read his accordion story:

The promotional bumper stickers KFOG radio in San Francisco put out in the '80s that read, "Use an Accordion, Go to Jail."

The eventual, inevitable news headline, "American Missionary Murdered in Zambia, Accordion-playing Blamed."

Is this in reference to Esther's dh?

Cause that's the only person I can think of and one of the only families that I rarely bother to read their threads.

Yep. (well, not the murdered American missionary bit. If he bothers enough ppl with the unHeavenly accordion though...)

I've donated $400 give or take a bit. I'm pissed that she lied but i found FJ from her blog so I guess it worked out ok.

$50 from me I believe. Sigh. No acknowledgment either. That kept me from tossing anything else into the hat.

So... if this person preys on religiously vulnerable groups... what's next? Ex-Scientologists?

$50 from me I believe. Sigh. No acknowledgment either. That kept me from tossing anything else into the hat.

So... if this person preys on religiously vulnerable groups... what's next? Ex-Scientologists?

Like a lot of others have been saying, an ex-fundamentalist Mormon would fit the theme. Probably someone whose family knew the Browns. Lots of opportunities for drama there.

Archived