IGNORED

how much did "ruth" make?

Daisy4

If I were to banter a couple guesses in Mormon land, Warren Jeff's mess created alot of chaos and difficult to trace family relationships given the large families and cross family insular ties... or perhaps even swap genders and pretend to be a lost boy from Mormonism. If you think about it, the general story of a lost boy isn't all that different from Ruth's storyline.

Scientology has its own lingo which would have to be read up on, but some of the stories... especially involving sea.org are crazy. ooh.. or even Children of God (Family International)... they are still around though we don't hear about them much anymore.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon FLDS. Theres plenty of opportunities with drama-sister wives being mean to her, husband preferring the other wives, the usual cult escape stuff that she did as her most recent identity and pulled off rather well...and theres a TV show about polygamy, just like she did a character who apparently knew the Duggars, and one that was connected with the Gosselins.

I reckon FLDS. Theres plenty of opportunities with drama-sister wives being mean to her, husband preferring the other wives, the usual cult escape stuff that she did as her most recent identity and pulled off rather well...and theres a TV show about polygamy, just like she did a character who apparently knew the Duggars, and one that was connected with the Gosselins.

Does anyone remember a blog by a supposed teenage sisterwife? It was posted here, and a lot of people thought it was fake. I'm curious to look at it again now.

Edit: I found it: megans-polyblog.blogspot.com/ Almost certainly fake--http://freejinger.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8265&start=20#p281463--but she's still going all this time later. At least this person isn't asking for money, just doing it for fun, I guess.

Add another $10 to the total - I donated to help her with her cross-country "move." Thinking she was a real person, I really wanted to see her succeed, and $10 was no big risk for me - a few less Starbucks drinks that week. I'd been following her blog for almost the entire 4 years and although there were occasional moments that made me go, "hmmmm," to me there was always just enough plausibility to her tales that I never started really, really doubting. (For example, no internet access in the hospital - well, if you go in for a check-up and get admitted right away, you're probably not going to have your laptop on hand; I was someone who was up and about only a few days after having a c-section, so it's possible she had a quick recovery from her twisted ovary thing, too, etc.)

Why do I always miss the crazy stuff when it's going down?

This is nuts :( I don't think I ever donated but I was very much on her side for a long time when I was active here.

Only about halfway through the thread, but someone mentioned RR had another name on here to the tune of "PossumMama?" Verrrryyy interesting. There's a person who stalks adoption/adoptee forums, sites like Yahoo Answers, and has several blogs of the anti-adoption variety called "possum" with a similar saga (not religious specifically, but a long-term family drama full of heartache). I see "PossumMama" of a few years ago has already been discussed, but I figure such similar screen names and the presence of a longstanding saga/drama might be enough to warrant inspection of "possum." Anti-adoption sounds like a niche that RR would fit right into -- sad, desperate people seeking validation and who will buy into a sob story they feel they can relate to.

As far as I know, anti-adoption "possum" isn't soliciting money. But it's something to consider.

The only thing I can say when reading this thread is that next time we look at other non monetary ways of helping people we meet on the internet. I haven't done any research on names of organisations in America but it should be similar like Australia.

for background: My mum left my abusive father when I was 13 and we spent some time living in shelters and being provided with food parcels by local churches who we approached for help. The local women's group from our church even packed our house up and helped us leave.

You can google the town name to find local shelters and organisation that will be able to supply people with food, clothing or shelter.

Local churches can also provide help in the terms of food hampers and would be aware of any Domestic Violence or homeless shelters in their location.

With health issues many hospitals have a charity arm or a welfare worker that would be able to direct an individual to find assistant for any health/monetary related health problems.

For FLDS woman I have found the name of http://holdingouthelp.org/ which assist people escape in Utah and they should have links to other local organisations that could help a person in another state.

If there is issues with paying bills/mortgage tell the person to call the company and let them know about their situation and negotiate a payment plan. In todays current financial climate many companies would rather have a negotiation for payment instead of terminating the service

If you do refer someone to church organisations use some critical thinking and avoid the independent fundamental baptist/JW's/Vision Forums. We don't want them to leave the frying pan and jump straight into the fire.

So say someone posts a topic on your local sister wives forum:

"My husband is beating me and I desperately need to get out but I have no money"

"User X here is the name and contact # for domestic violence shelters/an organisation in your location if you contact them they will be able to help you"

or

"I'm a student and I have no money to eat for the next month because my parents just kicked me out and I lost my job"

"I'm sorry this has happened, if you contact your College and ask to speak to someone about student welfare they will be able to assist you or let you know where you can find local help"

"I have done a google of your location and there is a local soup kitchen at X location you can find food"

or

"My son has been in an accident and he's now disabled. I need X amount of dollars for a wheelchair"

"Ask your sons doctor/nurse to speak to a welfare office at the hospital and they will be able to help you:

This is just some ideas from someone who is not a women's study major/social worker or community worker so it's definitely not perfect or absolute advice but just next time we are approached with this situation we can look at other ways of help.

Why do I always miss the crazy stuff when it's going down?

This is nuts :( I don't think I ever donated but I was very much on her side for a long time when I was active here.

Only about halfway through the thread, but someone mentioned RR had another name on here to the tune of "PossumMama?" Verrrryyy interesting. There's a person who stalks adoption/adoptee forums, sites like Yahoo Answers, and has several blogs of the anti-adoption variety called "possum" with a similar saga (not religious specifically, but a long-term family drama full of heartache). I see "PossumMama" of a few years ago has already been discussed, but I figure such similar screen names and the presence of a longstanding saga/drama might be enough to warrant inspection of "possum." Anti-adoption sounds like a niche that RR would fit right into -- sad, desperate people seeking validation and who will buy into a sob story they feel they can relate to.

As far as I know, anti-adoption "possum" isn't soliciting money. But it's something to consider.

If she's not already, coerced relenquishment by a teenaged fundy then appealing for funds to escape her family would make a good story.

If she's not already, coerced relenquishment by a teenaged fundy then appealing for funds to escape her family would make a good story.

I'd bet money that whether RR has anything to do with "possum" or not, which going over the evidence fully now it doesn't seem like she does, if RR hadn't been caught, the baby involved and given to lesbians would have invariably developed into its own saga. Baby was being abused, mother had a change of heart, now they're on a crusade to get the baby back from its ebil lesmoms. Something like that.

I had recently moved to a new place – a very new place – when I encountered this old guy stumbling down a deep flight of concrete steps. Since I had no desire to see the contents of his skull, I took him by the arm and helped him down the stairs. Then I gave him my bus money and walked to work – a hotel/bar where my mom and I had the misfortune of living. I checked in at the desk, where I worked as an auditor, then went back through to the bar for some pop when I found that same old man drinking my bus money.

I stood directly behind him, close enough to be sure with my limited vision, and wondered what I should do. None of my ideas were in the least bit charitable.

Instead, I left the man to his drink and returned to the front desk, where a massive man – the bouncer – was watching the area for a known trouble-maker. He asked my problem, and I bitched: ‘I give man money for bus and he drinks it - asshole!’

It’s not that I was surprised at having been ripped off – but for the planets to align just as they did…I couldn’t help but to think if there were a God it was laughing at me.

The bouncer then asked why I’d want to step down to the guy’s level. After all, I was in the right. I told him I’d already started below that guy’s level and considered this a step up. He told me not to be a smartass.

It surprised me to hear a man of his appearance and reputation defend the virtues of charity, saying it was wrong to scam but right to give – and that it’s part of the price of being in any way good that sometimes I’d be ripped off.

So here I am about 17 years after I heard the advice – the building and the man are both long gone – and now I say one of the good things I’ve learned: I’m glad that man didn’t fall; I hope he enjoyed his drink. I had better than I deserved; why shouldn't they?

I hope Ruth also gets better than she deserves: A new start, someday, and honest work. But she can never hope to have those things unless she quits scamming money from people.

$50/month from me for almost a year.... I stopped immediately after I read the update about the lesbian moms.... I couldn't get my head around someone just out of fundyism (and possibly only out temporarily and not by choice because of an unplanned pregnancy) actually seeking out gay parents for her child. Too fishy for me.

$50/month from me for almost a year....

This thread is the kind of stuff that makes me the most mad at RR. While she's saying that the tip jar isn't bringing in hardly anything, not even $40 a month, we have a member that is giving her $50 a month. :liar:

I know the whole thing is a lie, but something about such out and out lies just makes me :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair:

I hope she gave her kids a great vacation on the donations, at least.

I wonder what she did with it. If there was stuff she genuinely needed or... bills.

Or if she just pissed it away on herself.

I kept wanting to really believe her story, but it just seemed off and I could never put my finger on what was off... it just didn't jive.

I never sent her any money because I'm cheap.... and again, the story just seemed off. I was a poor college student at a private college that gave me a lot of scholarship money because I was a first generation college student. I lived in the dorms because it was actually cheaper once you factored in food, utilities, gas money, etc. I had to share textbooks with two other friends one semester because we were all so poor. We didn't have food service on Sunday afternoon or evening-- and because I was poor, I ate popcorn and diet coke for dinner on many Sundays-- or whatever food I had been able to sneak out of the cafeteria during the day on Saturday and Sunday. There was one semester I couldn't buy books at all. I went to the business office and told them I couldn't afford books. They made a deal with me- They'd give me a voucher for my books and I would give my work study money back to the office until my books were paid off. My point is- there are so many options available for college students who are struggling. There is always someone in the business office who will work with you to make sure you can stay in school. There are crazy scholarships and different funds that are used for students experiencing hardships. I think this is why I just couldn't believe her story... I know there is money available if you ask the right people.

I think I must have one of those faces that people seem to think they should ask me for money. I had a guy come up to me at Jack In The Box a few months ago. He went into some crazy elaborate story about how he had to drive all the way back to Castleton and his car ran out of gas and the whole story was wrong. You could tell he'd obviously worked really hard to put in a crap ton of details. I wanted to ask him "Why didn't you ask the people at the Shell Station next door for gas money if your car is right around the corner from there? How are you going to get your car to the gas station? Do you have a gas can for the gas?" Probably because he didn't run out of gas and there was no car. He had walked by several men in the parking lot and made it a point to come inside to ask a women for money. I told him I didn't have any cash on me-- which was probably true-- I had just had my JITB taco fix. He didn't ask anyone else at JITB for money.... he took off walking and I saw him going to the strip mall area down the street-- probably looking for another women to give his sob story to. He was right next door to Lowes-- which is always full of people-- but mostly men. Again, he was targeting women. I also get hit up in the parking lot of my church, too. I tell the people to go in and ask the priest for money. They usually walk away quickly. They know the church will not give you cash. They will give you bus passes, gift cards for grocery stores, gas cards for cars. But not cash. They will help you with rent, but they pay it directly to the landlord/mgmt company.

There were just too many instances where these really bad things happened to "Ruth"... no one is that unlucky. Maybe that is what kept me from believing her story.

Just my two cents....

I really wanted to believe Ruth's story, too. I read her background story on NLQ and felt sorry for her. As her story progressed, I felt it was a bit "off" and she had too many accidents or strange jobs/situations. I think I started doubting her when whe was working as a nanny and had all the catastrophes happen to her in short order. People began donating more money to her then. I did not because I had never met her and I have never given money to someone with a blog; I usually give to certain charities. I did post an encouraging message or two, which I regret, since I appeared to be supporting Ruth and may have inadvertently encouraged others to contribute. The Darth Daddy storylines were off the top. You got to hand it to Ruth, she was good at writing fiction. I feel sorry for those who donated money to Ruth. For what it's worth, she was a convincing liar and storyteller.

My question would be... for how long has she been doing this and how much effort has she invested into all this? She has got four kids, right? How much could she make? My guess, 200 dollars per month in average, tops. And only in the past few years. That isn't very much. I would certainly not put on a show like that to be so underpaid.

It is frustrating to think people like "Ruth" can get away with this kind of deception. I, too, posted a supportive comment or two on her blog from time to time and I'm angry if anything I said would have falsely substantiated her story to prompt others to send her money.

I wish there were a way to expose her for what she's done, but I suppose it is the nature of the internet and we all have to be skeptical about fictional drama.

AND, since it is apparently known her true identity, I'd be surprised if she's not scared at this point. People don't take very kindly to being ripped off.

$3880 just from posts in this thread. I've seen posts in other threads that I don't think have been included here.

My question would be... for how long has she been doing this and how much effort has she invested into all this? She has got four kids, right? How much could she make? My guess, 200 dollars per month in average, tops. And only in the past few years. That isn't very much. I would certainly not put on a show like that to be so underpaid.

I think you are probably underestimating the amount she made and the time she spent on the project. Ruth was never a very active poster on her own blog, nor was she ever a very active participant on any of the forums. She popped in a few times a month on a "busy" month and posted a few short posts. She maybe answered a few comments on her blog and she posted 1 or 2 blog posts on a busy month. She also went, sometimes, months between posts on her blog.

All that time, she had people in comments asking where she was, was she ok, please post an update, etc and most importantly, the "tip jar" was still working as intended.

We know just from the small sample of people that told us here that for at least one year she was getting a minimum of $50 per month (and we know it was more than that) and at least one month she got a $500 donation. Now, add in all the people we don't know about and she was likely making pretty decent spending money each month.

For the small amount of effort it really took, even $200/month is a nice chunk of "mad money" every month. I could do a lot of stuff with an extra $200/month that I didn't have earmarked for other stuff and just wanted to have fun with it. I'm sure everyone could.

I sent her money when her fake son died, back when she was PennMom. I don't remember how much-not a lot-and I could afford it then (I never send money to charity or people if I can't afford to lose it) She was active on both a private board I was on and on the GWOP board. I haven't sent money to people on the internet since, not because I got burned by her, but just because I prefer to do it in person.

I was angry at the time, only because I was lied to about a CHILD DYING. Seemed to be tempting karma. I am not anymore.

My fiance is on the road a lot for his job, and he drives. He will almost always stop and help a stranded motorist in a remote location (it depends on if he is filming or not...if it is totally going to screw up the filming, then he can't). If the person he helps completely insists on paying him for the jump, gas, ride, whatever, he turns around and gives it to the first homeless guy he finds. It's his way of paying it forward, I guess? I just give them the money, and I don't care if they are scamming me. I figure if they are out there in the heat/cold holding a sign begging for money, they really can't work for whatever reason. It isn't my job to judge them.

ETA: I just remembered I did donate another time to a "tip jar" situation, oddtodd.com . He has some great cartoons about being unemployed. He actually got in trouble with the NY Department of Unemployment over money earned with his tip jar, and this was before kickstarter. He is now employed as a free lance cartoonist and does them for CBS. He recently married and moved to LA. I like to think I helped him out way back when. :)

And this money was all tax-free! Such a clever woman.

Well, ask Mckmama about how tax free money from blogs is.

Well, ask Mckmama about how tax free money from blogs is.

I honestly don't know but just assumed it was like, you know, babysitting money. Under the table, that you SHOULD report it but the IRS probably isn't going to know if you don't. Unless you get caught. I don't blog, so I'm intrigued by the tax aspects.

Archived