IGNORED

John Shrader Drama

He's playing the theology both ways. Salvation is granted regardless of "works" (living according to specific codes of behaviour), but God doesn't love those who are worldly? Which is exactly what Suze is saying, and he's being a smug jerk about it. Wonder what the specific subtext to this is? I've got a brother-in-law who used to get on Facebook and quote scripture every time he fought with another brother-in-law, and I'd get on and turn his words against him. As the terrible heathen of the family, it wasn't nice of me, but I shut him up- he doesn't do it anymore.

This is why it always cracks me up that Fundies are sometimes so anti-Catholic, most of them are creating their own dogma, their list of rules that you follow if you're "their" brand of Christian.

I'm not Christian, but if you believe that Jesus was the literal son of God who died for the sins of mankind and promises eternal salvation to all believers, you can't play the "you're disobedient to God," card as a reason to distance yourself or look down on others, because, according to your own belief system, Jesus has saved them anyway. The dude's totally into equal opportunities; if you're trying as best you can, that's cool by him. If you're not trying, or actively being a douche about it, that's where all the Jesus I've ever read says, "Hey now, that's not trying, let's make me and Dad proud here people."

Anna definitely has more spark than Priscilla, but I don't see how she could have been on the verge of going rogue when she married Josh. I remember her being completely Kool-Aid drunk in those episodes where he proposes and they plan the wedding, get married, etc. She was always clutching his hand, staring adoringly, and everything was "blessing this" and "blessing that". However, it seems she's come down to earth quite a bit since then...

He's playing the theology both ways. Salvation is granted regardless of "works" (living according to specific codes of behaviour), but God doesn't love those who are worldly? Which is exactly what Suze is saying, and he's being a smug jerk about it. Wonder what the specific subtext to this is?

That would be the Gothardism shining through. Gothard's definition of grace is as follows: " An active force within us giving us the desire and power to do things God’s way. (Phil. 2:13; Heb. 12:15).". It looks fairly different from the one accepted by orthodox Christianity.

Oh, no, I meant, "what family discussion/problem prompted this?" It's like they're both talking about some issue separate from the religious debate but refusing to acknowledge the source of the argument on Facebook.

"Jesus doesn't care how the toilet paper feeds!"

"Yes-huh! Only sinners hang the toilet paper from the back!"

"Yeah, well, what does He say about replacing the empty tube?"

"Men don't use toilet paper as much as women, therefore it's the woman's job to be grateful to be allowed to change the roll!"

I wonder what's the actual argument happening off screen that they're dragging religion into, as though it makes any difference?

I knew when he posted she had pancreatic cancer that her prognosis would not be good...so sad because she is a new mother and only 35. Just awful :(

Anna definitely has more spark than Priscilla, but I don't see how she could have been on the verge of going rogue when she married Josh. I remember her being completely Kool-Aid drunk in those episodes where he proposes and they plan the wedding, get married, etc. She was always clutching his hand, staring adoringly, and everything was "blessing this" and "blessing that". However, it seems she's come down to earth quite a bit since then...

I think there has to be some leeway for the fact she was a 19 year old sheltered girl at the time. Her behavior was actually pretty consistent with a lot of 15-16 year old girls with their first boyfriends (minus the references to everything as a "blessing"). Secular kids even dream of marrying the first person they date. The big difference is, if you are secular your parents roll their eyes and know it's a phase that will pass ("sure, you'll make a very cute couple once you both finish college"). When you are a Gothardite, your parents take that normal puppy love and use it to push you down the aisle into servitude.

I look back at one of my first serious crushes, and I can't say he was much of a step above Josh Duggar. :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Archived