IGNORED

Steve Maxwell's generosity equips Teri - wow!!

Rainbowcolor

An adult woman needs her husband to "EQUIP" her... hmmm.... puleez dh equip me to do my job of cooking, cleaning, and sewing, oh and add in the Maxwell's books so I can do it RIGHT!! and they can add to their bankroll.

quotes from Dad's Corner - May 2006 Mama Gets a Hard Hat

"....Teri's need for reliable clothes washing won out over my desire not to get rid of a significant financial investment that should have lasted many years longer. We vote by our decisions. If I say I value all my wife does and want to help her in keeping up, I must demonstrate that by spending money for tools to help her...."

"...Only recently when we began eating lots of vegetables did I give Teri a nicer set of knives for Mother's Day...."

"...Also as a side note, I have found, that Dad's understanding may be necessary because there can be wasted time and material since all sewing projects don't turn out as intended. Is that any different than for us dads in our projects? Over the years, I've made numerous trips to the lumber yard to replace materials that didn't quite measure up after they were cut. May we be loving and gentle with our wives' mistakes as we consider our own mistakes..."

"...Originally in the planning stages of this article, I had not even thought of mentioning these next two tools. However, because of the tremendous impact Managers of Their Homes (MOTH), has made in thousands of homes, as I was writing this Corner, I realized I had to recommend two tools..."

An adult woman needs her husband to "EQUIP" her... hmmm.... puleez dh equip me to do my job of cooking, cleaning, and sewing, oh and add in the Maxwell's books so I can do it RIGHT!! and they can add to their bankroll.

quotes from Dad's Corner - May 2006 Mama Gets a Hard Hat

"....Teri's need for reliable clothes washing won out over my desire not to get rid of a significant financial investment that should have lasted many years longer. We vote by our decisions. If I say I value all my wife does and want to help her in keeping up, I must demonstrate that by spending money for tools to help her...."

"...Only recently when we began eating lots of vegetables did I give Teri a nicer set of knives for Mother's Day...."

quote]

If that condescending asshole bought me a nice set of knives for Mother's Day, he would need to sleep with one eye open....

I'm weird in that I like kitcheny stuff as presents - a super high end kitchen item (like a le cruset cast iron pot, just sayin' ) would make me really happy as a birthday present. But that's because cooking is a hobby for me, as well as something I do because we need to eat.

I would be pissed as hell if I was told that a new washing machine was an "atta boy" for my "work." If you appreciate my work, take me out to dinner or say "thank you, sweetie!" or buy me the afore-mentioned pot; don't buy me something we need to replace anyway.

Maybe Stevie should do the laundry for 10 people for a week or two so he can experience the need for a new washer. Jerk!

If that condescending asshole bought me a nice set of knives for Mother's Day, he would need to sleep with one eye open....

My husband once offered to buy me a new iron for either a birthday or christmas. It was back when we were first married. I told him that if he did the first thing I would iron would be his face.

Household equipment is not a gift for me, it is something for the household. A gift is something that I would normally spend the money on myself - a luxury item perhaps. Might only be a small thing like some nice smelling soaps from Lush rather than the supermarket own brands I usually buy.

the books, the books, I gotta have THE BOOKS!!! I might make a mistake that will require gentleness on your part. NOOOOOO!!!!

...and he only bought her the knives because HE and the other family members had started eating things that required them!

I got my kitchen aid for a gift because I STRONGLY HINTED I wanted it.(More like"I want a kitchen aid for my b-day, do you understand? A kitchen aid mixer, a color that will match the kitchen,the color can be the surprise".) Mine is white. I also like high end kitchen things,but I don't always want them for presents. My husband likes to buy me electronic things which I HATE(I have finally said, "Thanks for yet another electronic thing,no more"). He is now on a diamond kick, I have NO PROBLEM with that one either.

I do have a feeling I will be getting a runners watch which tracks the mileage and time for you. I expressed an interest and he was all"Let's go look at them now!" .I will bet that is my next "surprise " present.(Yes, I do want one,but not for x-mas, it has to be for nothing :))

I usually get household gifts from my mom. She's willing to spend $120 on a cast iron dutch oven, I am not. It's a win-win. She gets to be a great gift giver and I get the things I want but am too cheap to buy.

When I was married my ex never even gave gifts. When something 'big' was purchased or done near a gift giving date he said it was the gift. One year we replaced our TV with our first plasma in October - he said that was 'our' Christmas gift. My birthday is in July and in March of the year I turned 40 we went to Mexico. That, he said, was my birthday gift. Never mind it was a trip he pushed for and made happen. He replaced the kitchen faucet in his mom's house (she bought the faucet, he just installed it) and said that was her birthday gift. Nice; can't do his mom a favor without finding a way to make it work for him. Exactly like Steve Maxwell with the same motives, I think.

I see my ex's way of doing things the same as I see Steve's. A lazy excuse; a way to avoid having to make any effort or pay any attention to your spouse as an individual with her own wants, needs and desires.

...and he only bought her the knives because HE and the other family members had started eating things that required them!

Indeedy.

I'm a bit glad I'm not the only person whose first thought seeing the OP was "...is it really a good idea for such an asshole to give his poor wife a nicer set of knives?" Guy must be fucking suicidal.

Steve, it is only "Teri's need" for reliable clothes washing if the only clothes Teri is washing are Teri's. If she is washing YOUR clothes (not to mention the kids'), probably to your extremely anal specifications, then both of you need a new washer. Things for the household are for EVERYONE, even if it is mostly one person who actually does the household work.

The more I read the Corners (or your synopses because I get really sad going over to their website - and BTW last time I checked their site is the first thing that comes up when you Google Titus 2 - talk about moneychangers in the temple), the more I think that Steve and Teri are unusually terrible people. I don't think most decent people find it a huge struggle to listen to each other, be forgiving and loving, refrain from frequent, harsh criticism, etc. - the fact that they think others need constant encouragement, isolation from the world, and fear of death and hell in order for a husband to replace the washing machine or for a mom to give her daughter a heartfelt thanks for watching the baby tells me way more about their own spectacular douchebaggery than any claims they make about their "holiness."

Last summer my husband let me get a Blendtec blender (we were at Costco and they were $40 cheaper than they normally cost plus the warranty was doubled). This year for my birthday he got me a cute little red ceramic baking dish with a chicken for the handle (I'm 1/4 Portuguese and according to my mom, having roosters in your chicken is good luck) and little ramekins. :) He hid some chocolate-covered almonds in the baking dish. ;)

My husband and I don't give each other gifts. We used to when we were both working and we didn't have the boy. But now that we're living on one income, paying for my husband's college classes, and have a baby to feed and diaper, we've decided gift giving is unnecessary. I'd much rather have a heartfelt thank you or a "You had a hard day, so let me take care of that chore for you" as appreciation than a material item.

Last summer my husband let me get a Blendtec blender (we were at Costco and they were $40 cheaper than they normally cost plus the warranty was doubled). This year for my birthday he got me a cute little red ceramic baking dish with a chicken for the handle (I'm 1/4 Portuguese and according to my mom, having roosters in your chicken is good luck) and little ramekins. :) He hid some chocolate-covered almonds in the baking dish. ;)

I think it is great that your husband knows what you like and what you want. There is nothing inherently 'wrong' with giving a gift you know someone wants and will enjoy and be happy with. If you like household items as gifts, and your husband gives them to you, he is giving you a gift with YOU in mind. That's fantastic and thoughtful and meaningful.

That is entirely different, with different intent and different motives, than Maxwell's knives and washing machine. He didn't buy Teri anything. He bought himself what he wanted when he deemed it necessary to him and his life.

So basically he's saying that if he pulls his head out of his rear end every once in a while and give Teri the bare minimum she needs to run the household (like a washer that doesn't die), then he's a prince. Words fail me.

Also, since when is a sewing snafu a sin that needs forgiveness? :?:

I see my ex's way of doing things the same as I see Steve's. A lazy excuse; a way to avoid having to make any effort or pay any attention to your spouse as an individual with her own wants, needs and desires.

Actually this seems to fit right in with their general attitude about life. Being "an individual with her own wants, needs, and desires" is not OK. Giving presents that are just for fun or luxury are also not OK. They probably give their kids socks and computer manuals for Christmas.

So basically he's saying that if he pulls his head out of his rear end every once in a while and give Teri the bare minimum she needs to run the household (like a washer that doesn't die), then he's a prince. Words fail me.

He really is an incredible douchebag. He let go of an investment he valued - he still bitches about that in the article even while yet managing to praise himself for the 'sacrifice' - so his wife could wash his clothes more easily.

Oh, and he even lets her get away with making mistakes on sewing projects. I mean sure, it took him awhile to realize his self-serving trips to the lumber yard were at least comperable in wastefulness to what sometimes happens to anyone sewing clothes for all her kids, but at least he eventually figured it out and so now he's more forgiving.

Wow - and I bet if he were to ever read this thread, he wouldn't even know what pisses everyone off about that.

All the boys have $400 iPhones but a $300 washing machine is a major sacrifice...

I'm sure they really, really need those phones for work...or whatever it is they do.

ETA: Although to be "fair," it's probably an industrial washer.

I love good kitchen appliances and gifts. I'd swoon if a Kitchen Aid mixer appeared on my counter. I've told the kids that is what I'd love for Christmas.

We buy each other things during the year as well as the holidays. I search high and low for good deals and 2 weeks ago told the errant spouse that I found a Toshiba laptop for $320 with all the bells and whistles he wanted. So we agreed and he now has a decent laptop.

I try to find little things that will make him smile. Last week I was cruising through a Lego store and found Dobby and Hagrid keychains. I bought them and surprised the kids with them. Just for the reason that I love my kids. (they are grown BTW).

Our anniversary is 12/21 and we've decided that we will try to go to Vegas every year to celebrate. So in April I start cruising the hotel sites for deals. We're going to stay in a 700 sqft suite at the Monte Carlo for $68 a night. That is our anniversary gift to each other.

The Maxwells make me shake my head in sadness. He is such an OCD control freak. I'd like to let a hoard of messy people through their perfect home and shake it up a little. Ah no, then Teri would have more to clean up. Sigh. :roll:

I'm sure they really, really need those phones for work...or whatever it is they do.

ETA: Although to be "fair," it's probably an industrial washer.

Do their iPhones have Internet blocking/policing on them? Do Sarah and/or Teri check their call history, text history and data usage and history? How can they control what is seen on the Internet with a cell phone? I am not saying it isn't possible; having never had a need I have no knowledge but am sure there are options for limited access, but...then...why have a phone like that in the first place? A basic phone would serve the same purpose. Why have the Cadillac when it won't be put to its fullest use? Why not get a Ford that does the job without the amenities?

Do their iPhones have Internet blocking/policing on them? Do Sarah and/or Teri check their call history, text history and data usage and history? How can they control what is seen on the Internet with a cell phone? I am not saying it isn't possible; having never had a need I have no knowledge but am sure there are options for limited access, but...then...why have a phone like that in the first place? A basic phone would serve the same purpose. Why have the Cadillac when it won't be put to its fullest use? Why not get a Ford that does the job without the amenities?

What the hell is the point of even having an iphone if you can't have internet access? Forget apps, their "too fun". why bother? just buy a cell that rings

The whole spiel about treating your wife kindly for a sewing snafu bothers me more than anything else. Why are these people so up each others asses? My husband isn't really all that invested in what I'm doing, other than the end product. It would never occur to him, the godless heathen, to be anything other than sympathetic if I was having issues with a project and messed up, and then he'd move on. He'd sure as hell never be caught blogging about it. Freaking weirdos.

I for one adore kitchen items as gifts, as long as it's not something vitally necessary, if that makes sense. There has to be thought behind it. I'd be pissed if my husband got me a toaster (I virtually never use the toaster for me) but I'd be over the moon if he got me some fancy new knives to replace my perfectly adequate ones, because he knows I want them. Other household things like washer/dryers, irons, etc would not make me too happy if they were presented as a gift for me. Thankfully, I'm not married to a condescending prick like Teri.

Archived