IGNORED

All things Razing Ruth

razingruth

Ruth, I am so sorry. Loss is never easy - no matter the relationship. Hope that you are able to find some comfort with the healthy relationships you still have.

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So sorry for your loss, Ruth/Mary. Thinking of you.

Maybe karma is finally catching up with me. I got a job offer! :dance: It's in another state. Actually, in the same state as Gothard's HQ, but it's a job in my field and I'm super excited. If I can make this happen, I'll be pumped.

That's all.

This must be telepathy or something... I was reading your blog yesterday and I wanted to offer some commiseration on your father's death, maybe more likely, to tell you how he never deserved to have a daughter like you and you never deserved to go through all that ****. Forgiveness is his god's job. My condolences but as someone who was raised in a patriarchal house... I wanted to tell you that if you won't shed too much tears... don't feel guilty. I know that this is not the usual commiseration text people receive on elder's deaths but this is how I feel and I'm on your side. I could not leav a comment because I do not own any of those accounts that you accept comments from, glad I could tell you how I feel about your situation.

Congratulations on your new job, I'm sure you're going to do more than fine and earn a stellar reputation soon. I'm so, so so happy for you. You and I are the same age and I spent some time reading in your blog and wow, I was flabbergasted by the strength and willpower that you have. You are a great woman and I wish you all the best. The nightmare's over for you.

I hope you have a sense of peace with your emotional responses to this, whatever that may be. I do hope that in time this may help you move towards more contact with the rest of your family and hopefully them accepting and maybe even embracing the life you're building for yourself.

Good luck with the job interview!

Congrats on the job!! :banana-dance:

May God bless you and I hope this is a start to a wonderful life for you; you deserve it. :romance-grouphug::music-rockon:

I'm glad your father is no longer a burden in your life, however it's hard to lose family even if they were cruel. You have my condolences.

Ruth/Mary, I'm up in Chicagoland. PM me if you need help with housing, transit or just someone to hang out with.

Peas...can I call you? If you pm me your number, maybe I can ask u some questions?

I am excited and terrified! I want this job and it's mine if I can get there by June 1. I have to let them know on Monday. I applied for this about three months ago at the nudging of someone who reads my blog. I never thought it would go anywhere. When you fill out 73 applications and resumes, you kind of lose hope. Hr called me this morning with the offer.

Congratulations on the job offer! It's about time you got a break. You've really worked for it.

I am also in the Chicagoland area. Do you feel comfortable saying whether the job is in Chicago proper or the burbs? You don't know me here, but we've had a little contact at your blog. You can PM me if you like.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree about gas credit cards. It eliminates the conundrum of taking that money right out of your bank account, if you use a debit card. Gas stations also put a "hold" for more than actual cost when using a debit or credit card, which keeps you from using that money for something right away.

If you are traveling, you might also look up the cheapest gas prices for the areas you are/will be driving through, on Gasbuddy.com.

To help save money while on the road, before you leave, go shopping.

Get a small cooler for perishables (if you stay in a hotel/motel, you can get ice from an ice machine). Get deli meat and cheese, rolls or pita bread, pickles or olives to make sandwiches each morning; snacks (those big bags of pretzels go a long way; bags of baby carrots, apples bananas), granola or cereal bars, etc. Get a case or a bunch of jugs of bottled water - you can get a 24-pack of bottles for $4.00.

Good luck, and I hope that the trip goes well.

Ruth: I just made a cross country trip and it can be more tiring than it sounds. Be careful not to try and tackle too big a drive each day since you will be by yourself. I would also make hotel or hostel reservations in advance so you don't exhaust yourself and don't have to be looking for lodging in a strange place while you are tired. Also, since you will be driving through the west, don't let your gas tank get below 1/4 tank because the availability of gas/exits is few and far between in some stretches. Good luck and safe travels.

I agree about gas credit cards. It eliminates the conundrum of taking that money right out of your bank account, if you use a debit card. Gas stations also put a "hold" for more than actual cost when using a debit or credit card, which keeps you from using that money for something right away.

If you are traveling, you might also look up the cheapest gas prices for the areas you are/will be driving through, on Gasbuddy.com.

To help save money while on the road, before you leave, go shopping.

Get a small cooler for perishables (if you stay in a hotel/motel, you can get ice from an ice machine). Get deli meat and cheese, rolls or pita bread, pickles or olives to make sandwiches each morning; snacks (those big bags of pretzels go a long way; bags of baby carrots, apples bananas), granola or cereal bars, etc. Get a case or a bunch of jugs of bottled water - you can get a 24-pack of bottles for $4.00.

Good luck, and I hope that the trip goes well.

Ruth, there's a website called "Gasbuddy" which will tell you the lowest prices in the area you're going to, as well as the ones you'll be driving through. Congratulations and good luck!

As someone who's driven long distances in the upper midwest and knows about these things, here's a few tips.

Sandwiches in a cooler are very helpful. Often, places to eat or even stores can be far away from each other. Driving from my hometown to the place my dad lives, for example, there are about 4 stops you can make in 4 hours. Sometimes, there's only 1 exit, so if you miss it, you're out of luck.

Do fill up when you are at 1/4 tank, like another commenter suggested.

If you can get some, put books on tape/CD in your car. Music gets monotonous (and I am a music teacher) and decent radio in the sticks is few and far between. Even NPR varies: in ND they play the Thomas Jefferson hour for about 4 hours on Saturday afternoons on NPR. Nobody cares about Thomas Jefferson that much. Books allow escape and following a story means you don't get so bored.

A good combination is diet Coke and craisins (or raisins). You get the caffeine, but the dried fruit soaks up the liquid so you don't have to stop and pee so often. (Gross, but true.)

Take the time to stop and do something enjoyable when you can. I have a few little things I like to do, such as stopping at this place that has great pie and sells Amish stuff (great baskets and good jam), and I love to stop for meatballs at a Norwegian resto in Wisconsin. Much more interesting than another Subway. A little mental break is really important to maintain sanity on a long drive. Even half an hour "off" can make the next 4 doable.

BTW, I'm the one that gave you the bucket for your feet in the hot weather tip. :) Good luck on your trip!

Ruth, I am so so happy for your new job! I hope it opens many doors for you in your field. Please be careful on your long journey- I can tell you are very smart, but don't let yourself get too tired on the road! We're all rooting for you and we'd love to hear how you're doing when your circumstances allow for updates!

Archived