IGNORED

Close Encounters of the Fundie Kind

happy atheist

Oh yea, may be they were not Amish. They ladys wore white small caps and farm dress style , the men white shirts with suspender straps, beard but not mostashe. I dont remember exactly, it was a couple of years ago.

Ok here is the edit:

So yes to the one who was a smartass or maybe dumbass to say they got to Israel by sailboat, they came by jet airplane.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/ ... Yguk0pfv4s

More likely to be Mennonites. Were the women in floral or plain dresses?

And to be fair, it isn't usual for the Amish to use public transport.

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/ ... Yguk0pfv4s

More likely to be Mennonites. Were the women in floral or plain dresses?

And to be fair, it isn't usual for the Amish to use public transport.

The article in the Israeli newspaper said they were Amish. From my research, it int usual for them to use public transport, but they do when they need to. They hire taxis all the time, use the telephones of others, get driven by neighbors, take Amtrak train and even Grayhound bus, and now we see they use airliners, too. The article explains it. They are just not allowed to own any transportation besides horses with the buggies wagons, but they are allowed to travel in other ways.

It isn't usual for them to use public transport because it isnt usual for them to leave out of their local community. But when they do, they use the modern transport.

Any way it was very interesting to see them and I wonder if they are considered fundamentalist. Does any one know?

The article in the Israeli newspaper said they were Amish. From my research, it int usual for them to use public transport, but they do when they need to. They hire taxis all the time, use the telephones of others, get driven by neighbors, take Amtrak train and even Grayhound bus, and now we see they use airliners, too. The article explains it. They are just not allowed to own any transportation besides horses with the buggies wagons, but they are allowed to travel in other ways.

It isn't usual for them to use public transport because it isnt usual for them to leave out of their local community. But when they do, they use the modern transport.

Any way it was very interesting to see them and I wonder if they are considered fundamentalist. Does any one know?

The definition of fundamentalist varies. I would consider them fundies though, but a different kind to most Christian fundies - they want to separate from everyone else, not take over.

I think I have just had the fundie sighting jackpot!!

I just got back from a historical reenactment and guess who was seated next to me? Beall Phillips and children!

Hot damn! GC, you post deserves to nominated for Post of the Week!

On our way to a local greenhouse, Mr. Babe and I drove past Planned Parenthood. There was a forlorn young woman walking aimlessly, looking extremely tired and uncomfortable, all alone, carrying what looked to be a professionally produced sign. The sign was made to look like white chalk on black chalkboard, supposedly as if it was written in a child's handwriting. It said something like "Abortion Kills...blah blah blah" I didn't catch all the verbiage because I was too excited, telling Mr. Babe, "Fundie sighting! Fundie sighting!" I don't know if she was truly a fundie, or just a pro-lifer, but I suspect she was because she was wearing a below-the-knee skirt in a not-very-fashionable style. I don't know the name of the fabric, but it's thick like denim, but it's beige colored. I had a skirt like that 35 years ago (in the 70s). She had a most pained expression on her face, and I almost felt sorry for her all alone, no one to keep her company in the most pleasant weather in a most futile protest march of one. Thinking back to the Anti-Scott Walker Wisconsin Capitol Protest days of 2011 which I took part in, there were thousands of people out there in the bitter spitting cold to keep one company. But in her protest, she was so alone, poor thing.

I had to make an emergency stop to use the bathroom and the closest place was Chick-Fil-A. (I know - don't judge me!) Raised by my mother to always buy something small if you use a bathroom at a place of business, I got some waffle fries.

The guy who waited on me, according to his nametag, goes by Jehoshaphat. :o

I had to make an emergency stop to use the bathroom and the closest place was Chick-Fil-A. (I know - don't judge me!) Raised by my mother to always buy something small if you use a bathroom at a place of business, I got some waffle fries.

Geez, that must be a case of blind Bible naming, RIGHT? (You know - randomly open the Bible, point to a spot on a page, and when you get a person's name, that's what you use for your kid.)

Reminds me of Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison - there is a character who came to be named Pilate by this method.

I confess that I had a wild moment of wondering whether supervisors at Chick-Fil-A have Old Testament code names or something, kind of like how I never gave my real name when working at a call center!

I've always thought that if you did blind Bible naming for your kids, the chances of winding up with outlandish names (especially for boys) must be pretty high. I mean, the begats alone provide so many unfortunate options.

I got back earlier today from my first ever visit to the USA. FJ-ers who predicted that I wouldn't be able to do any fundie-spotting in the San Francisco Bay area were right. :( Mr Triplet and I went as far afield as Monterey, Santa Clara and the Big Basin redwood forest, but still - no fundies. Oh well...

I got back earlier today from my first ever visit to the USA. FJ-ers who predicted that I wouldn't be able to do any fundie-spotting in the San Francisco Bay area were right. :( Mr Triplet and I went as far afield as Monterey, Santa Clara and the Big Basin redwood forest, but still - no fundies. Oh well...

I hope that you had a chance to taste some of California's great wines.

I confess that I had a wild moment of wondering whether supervisors at Chick-Fil-A have Old Testament code names or something, kind of like how I never gave my real name when working at a call center!

I've always thought that if you did blind Bible naming for your kids, the chances of winding up with outlandish names (especially for boys) must be pretty high. I mean, the begats alone provide so many unfortunate options.

This is true. One time when we were reading the bible together having worship, my friend insisted we read one of these chapters. I was like, really? We're here to worship the Lord and learn more about him and you want to read that Mushi begat Ahitub?

I told her she should name her first born son "Mushi" (pronounced mushy) and she refused. Can't imagine why.

Ugh...we had a family (yes, including small children) camped out on public land next to our Target holding massive signs of aborted fetuses. Thanks a lot for scaring my kids...

And they were protesting at Target because . . .?

Nevermind. There's no logic. There were anti-abortion protestors camped out at the state fair with "Truth Trucks" for absolutely no fucking reason.

I hope that you had a chance to taste some of California's great wines.

I didn't because I've never managed to acquire a taste for wine, but Mr Triplet tried a couple. They definitely got a thumbs up. :handgestures-thumbup:

When my son was a baby, we called him Dylan Jehoshaphat as a joke. It's no where near his name; we just thought it sounded silly. Now he's 3.5 and thinks that Dylan Jehoshaphat is really his name and refuses to believe us when we tell him it's not. Backfired. :D

I didn't because I've never managed to acquire a taste for wine, but Mr Triplet tried a couple. They definitely got a thumbs up. :handgestures-thumbup:

Next time you would need to try going east and north to possibly, maybe see some fundamentalists. You ventured into about the most non-fundie area possible :lol:

Several times when I was vacationing in Montrose, CO, I'd see a guy with a cross just like that walking down Townsend Ave (Hwy 550). Usually on a Saturday morning IIRC.

I mean, you wouldn't want to make it too authentic and hard to drag along, so the little wheel made it easier. I think the guy was an attention whore.

We saw a guy carrying a cross with a wheel on Easter. My husband, who is very much a 'to each their own' type of guy, was totally set off by the wheels. He said the same thing," if you are going to drag a cross around, then DRAG it! No wheels allowed!"

I pointed out that the cross was a pair of oversized twigs and if the guy was going to drag one that required wheels, then at least wheel something with some heft to it around!

That may not be his real name. Back in the day, I worked at fast food and several of the girls there disliked their names and simply put names they liked on their nametag.

One girl, extremely attractive, used a different name so that when she heard guys calling her by that name outside of work, she knew that they didn't really know her from school or somewhere, they just knew her from Burger King.

Now, one of my daughters works at a fast food place while she's completing college. She says that sometimes the employees trade badges or make up silly names just because the job is boring and they want to see if anyone noticed. One poor guy wasn't paying attention and wore an obviously girl's name all through his shift. (He laughed at the end, though, and said he wondered why he was getting so many funny looks from customers.)

I just saw my otherwise normal aunt, conseling a young friend of her's to use the cry-it-out method. The young mom told my aunt they made it an hour and a half and then her husband had to give the baby a bottle.

sigh :(

I just saw a girl who looked a lot like Jessa, which was kinda strange, was wondering where I had seen her before... It obviously wasnt her cause she was in the UK and wearing school uniform. Sad, cause that girl has so many good opportunities that the Duggars will never have.

I had a fundie encounter at Wal-mart. The mom was a larger woman and I saw a gaggle of kids but, didn't think anything of it until I turned a corner and saw how many of them there were, at least 7, if not more! All the girls were wearing long skirts. I was wayyy to excited. I never see any Duggar style families around here (Houston) but, I do see pentecostal girls every time I'm in Cato. Usually they're wearing their hair in some crazy updo with 1500 broaches and headbands on and I've never seen them with more than 2-3 kids so I don't think this family was UPC.

That may not be his real name. Back in the day, I worked at fast food and several of the girls there disliked their names and simply put names they liked on their nametag.

One girl, extremely attractive, used a different name so that when she heard guys calling her by that name outside of work, she knew that they didn't really know her from school or somewhere, they just knew her from Burger King.

Now, one of my daughters works at a fast food place while she's completing college. She says that sometimes the employees trade badges or make up silly names just because the job is boring and they want to see if anyone noticed. One poor guy wasn't paying attention and wore an obviously girl's name all through his shift. (He laughed at the end, though, and said he wondered why he was getting so many funny looks from customers.)

One time at work I signed up to volunteer for a catering event. The catering event was at the student center, and we usually worked at the dining hall. Thus we didn't have our own name tags. So our boss for the day handed us a box of spare name tags and told us to pick one. I was "Kristi" for a day, and a coleague of mine was "Victoria." One of the girls came up to her (it was a middle school event, apparently) and said, "my name's Victoria too!" My co worker then had to explain that her name wasn't Victoria. Awkward conversation, fun times.

When people called me Kristi, I totally forgot to respond. Or if I did it was way too late and they'd given up trying to get my attention.

Archived