IGNORED

What's For Dinner - Part 2

happy atheist

The other night when we tried the cherry almond Dutch baby, The Partner mused about what a savory version might be like. So tonight we're trying a Dutch baby in which we eliminate the sugar, almonds, and almond extract, substitute cherry tomatoes for cherries, increase the salt, and add some chives.

Cress salad alongside, because everything is better with cress.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had Jeanne Lemlin's Tortellini Green Bean Salad with Warm Tomato Pesto, a summertime staple around here.

^ Dr. Pusey, that sounds good.

The other night when we tried the cherry almond Dutch baby, The Partner mused about what a savory version might be like. So tonight we're trying a Dutch baby in which we eliminate the sugar, almonds, and almond extract, substitute cherry tomatoes for cherries, increase the salt, and add some chives.

Cress salad alongside, because everything is better with cress.

We roughly halved the butter, too.

Possibly unsurprisingly, I like the savory version better. We got less browning on the top but some caramelization on the bottom where the tomatoes split. Important thing: poke the cherry tomatoes with a knife or fork before adding them to the pan, or they will become tasty but scorching mouth bombs when you eat them.

I made the Smitten Kichen cherry galette for a BBQ yesterday. I did it, I really did it! :mrgreen: :dance: :mrgreen: I, destroyer of pie crust and pastry dough, bread baking drop out, made a beautiful galette of which not a crumb was left.

I currently have a new disk of pastry firming in the fridge and am making another this AM that I can enjoy with company later.

All thanks and credit go to smittenkitchen.com for the recipe and instructions and our very own RachelB for egging me on her encouragement. ;)

So pleased you tried it! I hope you have ALL THE FUN with your new skill.

We are making a Thai-inspired melon salad tonight. The recipe is from Deborah Madison's book Local Flavors, but the gist is, procure and chop melon; mix with a minced shallot, ample herbs (mint, cilantro, Thai basil), and lime. We'll have it with rice and baked tofu with a Thai-ish marinade.

And, because there is no choir rehearsal tonight, there will be coffee ice cream for dessert.

I smoked some baby backs and made an orzo with grilled veg mixed with a pesto vinaigrette. Thats about as complex as I get.

My company came bearing gifts. Eggplant parmigiana and homemade tortellini sent by their NJ Italian American matriarch so we could all have dinner before they finished the last leg of their trip home. We had the cherry-strawberry galette I made for dessert.

Eh, not very complicated again tonight. I had some good cheddar with Trader Joe's Some Enchanted Crackers. I'd noticed that I had wild local blackberries that needed using, so I made them into a milkshake. It was really the most beautiful color!

Having a friend over to make dinner together.

We are making Watson barbecue sauce (see here), which we will use as a marinade for eggplant slices, which we will then broil.

We'll also have boiled corn with dukkah, awesome tomato juice sipped through lovage straws, homemade dill pickles, and broiled peach halves filled with peach leaf-flavored pastry cream.

I may be a little excited.

Pappardelle with low sodium bacon and arugula (no prosciutto, too xpensive and sodium-y) . Making some desserts from a Syrian cookbook I took out of the library.

Om nom nom - the first batch of basil pesto of the summer, with whole wheat shells. Iced tea to drink and Rainier cherries for dessert.

Last night, spätzle with caramelized onions and gruyere for me; spätzle with walnut pesto for The Partner. And we split a Karamalz, which is basically an unfermented soda flavored with malt and hops. It tasted like a cross between stewed dried fruit, malt powder, and the smell of beer. I did not know this thing existed, but I kind of liked it.

Tonight, farmers' market dinner: sweet corn with dukkah; steamed green chickpeas; horiatiki; peaches.

What do you use in your dukkah?

I just finished making 3 bean vegetarian chili. This time I soaked the beans and the cooking came off without a hitch. To the recipe on Smitten Kitchen, I added a teaspoon of coriander to the ground spices, and a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder with the tomatoes. The dish is now a keeper. It's going to go with rice, avocado, sour cream, and shredded lettuce.

What do you use in your dukkah?

I just finished making 3 bean vegetarian chili. This time I soaked the beans and the cooking came off without a hitch. To the recipe on Smitten Kitchen, I added a teaspoon of coriander to the ground spices, and a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder with the tomatoes. The dish is now a keeper. It's going to go with rice, avocado, sour cream, and shredded lettuce.

The dukkah recipe I use:

1 cup hazelnuts, dry roasted (about 10 minutes) and skinned

3/4 cup sesame seeds, dry roasted (about 2 minutes)

1 1/2 Tbsp. cumin seed

1 Tbsp. coriander seed

1 Tbsp. black peppercorns

1 tsp. salt

Toast the cumin and coriander together, stirring frequently, until fragrant and just starting to smoke. Let cool, then grind it with the peppercorns. Grind the hazelnuts until sandy in texture. (I cheat, because I like to have some bigger pieces.) Grind the sesame seeds similarly if you like. (I leave them whole.) Mix together. It purports to keep for a month in a sealed container at room temperature, but I cannot imagine it lasting that long. The Partner sneaks spoonfuls of it.

----

Tonight we finally made the melon salad I'd planned to make a week ago. (TP requested grilled cheese and cherry tomato soup last week, so we made that instead.) And I really like it.

I am not usually enthusiastic about melon, but it turns out that if you toss it with oil, lime juice, lime zest, salt, ginger, shallot, a minced Thai chile, and a heap of basil, cilantro, and mint, I will happily nom it. We had it on rice with Thai baked tofu. Next time we'll probably crisp-fry some of the shallot before adding it, and toss in some toasted chopped peanuts.

I grilled burgers in the rain, came inside to find a severe thunderstorm warning on TV.

Going out for Bastille Day dinner with friends. The restaurant is somewhat meaty, so I will probably get a salad and appetizer, the better to save room for dessert.

Real food today: blackened tilapia and,spicy haricot verts washed drown with tempranillo.

That sounds delightful, Geechee Girl.

We went to a choir event this evening, so had a quick simple dinner: lemon ricotta ravioli with chopped tomatoes.

Dear Corn Pizza,

I like you so much. You are not quite up there with nectarines in my favorite summer things, but you are still pretty doggone tasty.

Thankfully,

RachelB

Firm tofu coated in oil and homemade barbecue sauce, baked, eaten on levain with romaine leaves. Corn with (what else?) dukkah. Coffee-cardamom ice cream.

Archived