IGNORED

Lori Alexander: I Order You To Get Sun

Why did I click? Why do I never learn?

I'm not putting anything anywhere on myself that can make my "nose slough off." just no!

:shock: Those images were hideous! What is this Black Salve stuff? Metaphorical question...I've never heard of it until now.

I have heard of black ointment before here in Australia, usually used for drawing out splinters etc. but it isn't that common anymore I don't think. I haven't really seen it since I grew up and left my old fashioned Mums place.

I've certainly never heard of it used on skin cancer, and we have one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world.

Usual practise here is to see a Doctor :roll:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fair with freckles. Our kid is very fair. My husband is "fortunate" enough to tan a bit before he burns, but the rest of us will burn very quickly if unprotected in the sun. We go through a lot of sunscreen. We can't use sprays on our daughter because she has mild asthma, so it's all cream plus I keep a mineral sunscreen stick in my purse.

We buy an "outdoor" swimsuit for our daughter that's a one piece rash guard/shorts style in UPF 50 fabric. It looks like a little shorty wet suit and the UPF fabric results in less skin area that we have to make sure to frequently coat thoroughly in sunscreen when we're at the beach or outdoor pool. It makes life a little easier on mama.

I'm in my early 30s and have found that over the years of using a moisturizer with SPF and now a BB cream with SPF 15, I have way fewer signs of aging than other women my age who would sunbathe or ski with no sunblock because they tan rather than burn. It's not just sunburns, using sunscreen can help to slow aging of the skin!

Re: chemicals in sunscreen. I go to the extent of looking up sunscreens that are better on the [link=http://www.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/]EWG list[/link] every year. The daycare staff slather the kids in sunblock and put sun hats on them before going outside to play, and in the summer many days they're outside twice a day so the sunblock use becomes pretty substantial. We were using crazy expensive California Baby sunblock for Little Bug to use at daycare until I discovered a Coppertone product that had the exact same EWG rating of 2 (indicating low hazard) for around 1/6 the unit price.

:shock: Those images were hideous! What is this Black Salve stuff? Metaphorical question...I've never heard of it until now.

I have heard of black ointment before here in Australia, usually used for drawing out splinters etc. but it isn't that common anymore I don't think. I haven't really seen it since I grew up and left my old fashioned Mums place.

I've certainly never heard of it used on skin cancer, and we have one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world.

Usual practise here is to see a Doctor :roll:

You're likely talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_bituminosulfonate which is what we called "black salve" growing up. The "black salve" that Lori is talking about is likely http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cansema

Two completely different things. One safe, one not.

So, I came back to this thread to share that one of my friends, as (bad) luck would have it, had a sore that didn't heal for a few years. She has a huge doctor phobia so instead of getting it checked out, she put whatever she could find on it for all this time to try and heal it. (Luckily nobody told her about black salve.)

She has finally had it checked out. It's cancer.

The doc said if they remove it immediately she's going to be fine. But seriously - if you have something that won't heal, don't take matters into your own hands, kids!!!!

PS. For moms of fair skinned babies who aren't fair skinned. The tops of the feet, the bottoms of the feet, and the ears are easily burnt on a fair skinned child. Sunburned feet hurt badly, trust me.

And the scalp where the hair parts. Stings like a thousand bees when taking a shower!

And the scalp where the hair parts. Stings like a thousand bees when taking a shower!

THIS.

Slightly off-topic, but I love your phraseology there. Can I steal the bee simile, please?

This so much. My mom is fair skinned, but she tans easily. My brother and I not so much, we freckle and burn. And we didn't outgrow our freckles. Also, sunscreen wasn't as big of a deal in the 70's and 80's as now.

• 2 weeks later...

You're likely talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_bituminosulfonate which is what we called "black salve" growing up. The "black salve" that Lori is talking about is likely http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cansema

Two completely different things. One safe, one not.

Thanks for that.

Just saw on the nightly news this minute that the Health Dept has put out a warning on Black Salve and are trying to have it banned. They said it causes burning and scarring, but the reporter went on to say that some people claim it has cured their skin cancers.

I wouldn't have taken any notice but for this discussion., funny that!

Please forgive me for taking this opportunity to say that the same applies to mosquito repellant. I knew a woman who went fishing and sprayed every part of her down, except for her scalp. She was left with closely spaced mosquito bites all in a line where she parted her hair.

THIS.

Slightly off-topic, but I love your phraseology there. Can I steal the bee simile, please?

Just saw this now - sure. I really can't take credit for it, I'm sure I've heard it or something similar before.

Just saw this now - sure. I really can't take credit for it, I'm sure I've heard it or something similar before.

Thanks!

Lori, as a fair skinned redhead, I'm willing to soak up some sun. Just as soon as you and Ken give me a promissory note agreeing to pay for my chemotherapy and my reconstructive surgery.

She talks about having a sore that doesn't heal like it's a normal thing...is it? I would be pretty scared if I had one of those.

Nope, that's one of the classic Seven Warnings Signs of Cancer.

Can't skin cancer metastesise (spelling?)?

Surely there comes a point when burning off the lesions isn't enough.

I've known several people who died of malignant melanoma that metastasized. One was a very dear friend that passed several years ago. I still miss him terribly.

This is the one and only time I will ever follow Lori's advice. I find my zen in the sunshine and a good sweat. Hell has frozen over :lol:

Yeah, I burn with SPF 80 and got possible skin cancer spots (one doctor said precancer, one said benign cancer) cut out of me at the ripe old age of 24. Fuck Lori with a sunbeam.

Um...she uses make up and soap, yes?

No doubt loaded with phthalates and sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate.

I'm very fair-skinned, so I have to get my sun very gradually. And I still can't be outside for more than about 10 minutes in the summer unless I have some SPF 50 sunscreen.

Also, sores that don't heal are NEVER something to shrug off. That's very serious, not necessarily cancer, but I'm pretty sure (IIRC) that it's a sign of diabetes as well, and other very serious, potentially deadly conditions.

Edit: Dr. Google confirms that it's a symptom of diabetes, as well as other types of cancer (not just skin cancer), circulatory diseases, and anemia. And some other diseases like AIDS that Lori probably wouldn't have.

Edited again for redundancy I didn't catch earlier.

Also, sores that don't heal are NEVER something to shrug off. That's very serious, not necessarily cancer, but I'm pretty sure (IIRC) that it's a sign of diabetes as well, and other very serious, potentially deadly conditions.

Yeah, I've had a rash that has been coming and going for several months now. Pretty sure it's something that I caught from my students, but as the last treatment from my regular doctor didn't work, I've been sent to a dermatologist to make sure of what it is and try more treatments.

And some other diseases like AIDS that Lori probably wouldn't have.

I don't know, Lori sounds like the kind of person who would get acupuncture in some random dude's basement because her sketchy-ass online CEO "doctor" told her to.

Archived