IGNORED

Lori Alexander: I Order You To Get Sun

Chemicals, ooooh, scary. Does she know about the risks of dihydrogen monoxide?

This stuff is scary, to much and it can kill you! :lol:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't she have a brain tumor or cancer at some point? I only ask because her writing seems incredibly juvenile, even by fundie standards.

The article she links to is from 2010, so it's not like it's recent news. Furthermore, those of us living at 49 degrees north, known about the benefits of vitamin D for much longer than three years.

Furthermore, part of the reason that colds and flu are so prevalent in winter is because in cold places, people have a tendency to stay inside during the cold months, which spreads germs.

Yep, she had a tumor. I don't know when it happened. Another FJer communicated with Lori through email and she said that Lori kind of admitted that writing isn't her best thing.

It's pretty hard to get sunshine at the moment in the UK. I am however incredibly glad that my mother made sure I was doused in highest-level sunblock before I went out into the sun, even on cloudy days. I am fair-skinned and burn easily.

True. I was just saying you do not need tons of sun exposure and increase your risk of skin cancer to produce enough vit D. I though the post was self explanatory.

It wasn't. Because even if you spent 12 hours a day naked in the sun in New York in December you wouldn't make any vit D. The safest course of action is to take a vit D suuplement year round and stay out of the sun when it's strong enough to produce vit D.

Can't skin cancer metastesise (spelling?)?

Surely there comes a point when burning off the lesions isn't enough.

I don't use sunscreen very often. But that's because I think it lulls you into a false sense of security about sun exposure, not because OMGZ chemicals.

Yes it can, that's what make melanoma so dangerous. It spreads so fast.

My mums friend has a great big chunk missing from the back of her leg because she had a skin cancer removed. The baby boomers who spent their summers coated in oil under the hot Australian sun are really paying for it now.

There are four kinds, melanoma, BCC, SCC, and solar keratosis. Melanoma is the baddie. Solar keratosis are pre-cancer, BCC and SCC are pretty benign, they can burn them off you for years without a problem.

Lori hawks being in the sunshine as a cure for many ailments. Luckily, she lives in San Diego where there are no pesky issues like winter to have to deal with.

Doesn't like chemicals, but uses Black Salve. Does not compute!

I understand that there's been a lot of research into the chemicals in sunscreen and how effective they are, but I will stand by it. My parents used to sunbathe with baby oil slathered on their skin. They now have had so many moles removed (some cancerous) that they have probably singlehandedly put their dermatologist's kids through college.

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2013/03/get-some-sunshine.html

If I had sores that didn't heal, I'd get myself to the dr. STAT! For one thing, I'd be worried I had diabetes, if I suddenly had sores that didn't heal properly.

My dad, as a hobby, was groundskeeper at a golf course, plus he worked outside a lot. No sunscreen of course. By the time he was in his 60s or so, he had so so so many spots removed from his nose and eventually had to have a big chunk of his lip removed due to skin cancer. Then suddenly he was all about sunscreen. He also had to have some removed from his arms.

I have a lot of moles, so see the dermatologist twice a year for tracking/removal of any that are changing. So far they have all been negative, thankfully. However, the dermatologist and I were talking about skin cancer the last appt I had and she was saying people really don't understand how fast skin cancer can kill you when it's left untreated.

There's a debate now among dermatologists over whether it's better (or even acceptable) to spend 10-15 minutes in the sunlight per day without sunscreen to get Vitamin D, or whether it is not worth the risk. In any case they would never argue that you should forgo sunscreen entirely.

I have had a lot of atypical moles removed. (That means something sketchy is going on there, but usually it's not quite at the pre-cancerous level yet.) I am basically a vampire (sadly I don't sparkle). I burn easily (I'm very fair) and I also get dehydrated and heatsick easily. So for me personally it makes the most sense to stay out of the sun as much as possible. If I do I wear sunscreen and bring a water bottle. I take Vitamin D and I have a Happy Light haha (sunlight without any of the side effects!). I think I was at extra risk for Vitamin D deficiency due to another medication I take though. I also take calcium.

Surely you can get vitamin D from sunlight without it being a sunny day? Especially if you're fair-skinned and so can absorb vitamin D more easily. It's like solar panels - it doesn't actually need to be a sunny day for them to work, there's still sunlight on cloudy days otherwise we'd be in darkness.

Surely you can get vitamin D from sunlight without it being a sunny day? Especially if you're fair-skinned and so can absorb vitamin D more easily. It's like solar panels - it doesn't actually need to be a sunny day for them to work, there's still sunlight on cloudy days otherwise we'd be in darkness.

As someone that is allergic to the sun (yes really), I can tell you that you get exposure to whatever it is that causes my allergy on even cloudy days (and yes even though clothes on very sunny days). I do have to be out longer to break out in hives, but it still happens even on cloudy days.

Oh man, the images that popped up on my google search for Black Salve were fucking terrible.

Why oh why didn't I just take your word for it? Why? :o

UV is not blocked by clouds. It's not even blocked by glass. And even in direct sunlight it's often not powerful enough for you to make vit D.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/vitamin-d/

If you live north of the line connecting San Francisco to Philadelphia and Athens to Beijing*, odds are that you don’t get enough vitamin D. The same holds true if you don’t get outside for at least a 15-minute daily walk in the sun. African-Americans and others with dark skin, as well as older individuals, tend to have much lower levels of vitamin D, as do people who are overweight or obese.

*Because the Southern hemisphere doesn't exist.

This one gives special mention to NZ's super sun

http://www.nrv.gov.au/nutrients/vitamin%20d.htm

Malignant melanoma can metastasize, and frequently does. You can also get it in places that you can't see, like in your mouth, nose, vagina, colon, or, as in my case, inside the eye ball. My grandfather had skin cancer, probably squamous cell, maybe melanoma, inside his ear canal. It spread by invading more and more local tissue until it was in his brain and he died. Squamous cell skin cancer can also spread to distant sites, but it's less likely to than melanoma. Basal cell can spread locally but almost never goes to distant sites. Precancerous lesions can be burned off but once they are cancer they need to be cut out, with clear margins, meaning an edge all the way around the removed lesion that is free of cancer cells.

I am a redhead with blue eyes and freckles. I grew up on a lake pre sun screen. I had several second degree sunburns. I have had innumerable precancerous skin lesions removed, one medium sized squamous cell on my back, and malignant melanoma in my eye. I wear sun screen now, and have for the past 30 years.

My friend's dad who's really into conspiracy theories seriously believes that sunscreen is the cause of skin cancer, not sunlight. He says it's because skin cancer increased with the use of sunscreen... This is why my friend will wear thin shawls in the summer, because ewwww chemicals.

My friend's dad who's really into conspiracy theories seriously believes that sunscreen is the cause of skin cancer, not sunlight. He says it's because skin cancer increased with the use of sunscreen... This is why my friend will wear thin shawls in the summer, because ewwww chemicals.

Because the generations that didn't use sunscreen totally aren't the ones getting skin cancer now (they are - both my parents keep having to have bits of their skin chopped off). And the increase in skin cancer totally hasn't been linked to ozone depletion.

Did he have that opinion after reading that stupid Natural Cures They Don't Want You To Know About? Kevin Trudeau advises against sunscreen.

I have very pale skin and am on long term medication that warns about sun exposure. I've had second degree burns 3 times in my life, twice with sunscreen on. I don't fool around with this stuff. There is a bottle of the spray SPF 50 waterproof in all my bags, in the car, etc. I would rather overuse it and skip skin cancer than to constantly have places removed like my grandma or have metastasized skin cancer that kills me. I joke with my hubby that if we move south hes gonna have to get me a booth like a spray tan booth but to spray me down with sunscreen instead.

PS. For moms of fair skinned babies who aren't fair skinned. The tops of the feet, the bottoms of the feet, and the ears are easily burnt on a fair skinned child. Sunburned feet hurt badly, trust me.

Did he have that opinion after reading that stupid Natural Cures They Don't Want You To Know About? Kevin Trudeau advises against sunscreen.

I have no idea where he got that. He has so many conspiracy theories and odd ball ideas I can't keep track. He also seriously believes that Disney land/world is used at night for torturing children so they can become mind slaves. Examples are Britney Spears and Justin Bieber.

Archived