IGNORED

Senate Committee Oks Assault Weapons Ban

dairyfreelife

Yeah, sure-guns are pretty much illegal here and we havent been taken over by the government, in fact, we havent had another school shooting since the one that got guns banned and gun violence is fairly rare.

Knives are dangerous in the wrong hands-but they have an important use other than stabbing people with. Knives can be used to chop up food for cooking and it would be hard to do it without them or something equally dangerous. Also its hard to commit a mass murder with a knife than a gun. You can shoot 20 people in less than 10 minutes, but it would take way longer to do it with a knife as theyre only dangerous up close.

Our bodies can also be used for dangerous things too, nothing we can do about that, but youre way less likely to kill someone with your bare hands, and it would be hard to kill multiple people without a weapon.

Banning guns wont completely stop murder. Its just making it harder for people to kill large groups of people in a short amount of time.

Banning guns would also require 300 million Americans to give up a very important freedom. Do you think that's fair? I sure don't. Most gun owners are responsible and would never harm an innocent person and the rest of us shouldn't have to suffer because of a few crazies. Stop focusing on the tools the nutjobs use and instead focus on what causes people to go over the edge.

Freedom survives another day.

No, the ability to mow down 20 six-year-olds with 153 bullets fired in five minutes "survives another day". It has nothing to do with "freedom". It has everything to do with the lobbying dollars and scare tactics of the NRA, and idiots who believe it will never happen to them or a loved one. The gun fetishists don't care how many other people's children have to die for them to play with their deadly toys. They're collateral damage, aren't they?

Let's also call it like it is: You and your ilk won't be "protecting yourselves from the government". It's all about an African-American in the White House.

Have you heard of the Virginia Tech shooting? The killer murdered more people with two handguns than Adam Lanza did with a rifle.

I care about every innocent person that dies. We all do. But unlike liberals, we understand that a nation full of people shouldn't have to give up their rights because of what a few crazy people do. I would never hurt an innocent person, why should I have to give up my right to own a gun? I didn't do anything. Neither did tens of millions of other decent law abiding gun owners.

Have you heard of the Virginia Tech shooting? The killer murdered more people with two handguns than Adam Lanza did with a rifle.

I care about every innocent person that dies. We all do. But unlike liberals, we understand that a nation full of people shouldn't have to give up their rights because of what a few crazy people do. I would never hurt an innocent person, why should I have to give up my right to own a gun? I didn't do anything. Neither did tens of millions of other decent law abiding gun owners.

Actually you would. You would force a woman to be pregnant against her will even if there is the chance it can kill her(that would be all pregnancies) and you will hurt her because denying her an abortion will most likely ruin her life. So you might not hurt innocent people with a gun, but you do support hurting innocent people. So don't go around acting like you wouldn't hurt people, when you support laws that do hurt people.

ITA: I only brought this up in this thread because 4th survivor likes to go on about how she values life soooooo much more than we do and then ignored all the questions that pointed out the damage done to women when they are forced to be pregnant. And some of that damage includes death.

Because it is far more important for you to have your rights than look what might be better for society? Of course that is just plain old silly liberals huh? Again I point you to other countries than your own which you continue to ignore.

If you mean by 'crazies' Mental illness then yes there needs to be far more intervention and understanding for those who suffer. Unfortunately 'crazies' don't have a flashing light above their heads, generally this comes to light AFTER they have committed mass murder. Of course removing their access to guns would not prevent this....OH wait.

She cares more about guns than people. That is the only way to see it.

Fourth Survivor, you do know what the board climate is like here, right? Are you deliberately trying to stir shit by taking this stand or are you that....obtuse?

I'm not crazy, I just get how important the 2nd Amendment is. You really should too. As far as the reason, well the beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that I don't need a reason. :) I don't have to justify it to any liberal gun grabbers either, but I will. The people of this country need to fight to keep their right to own their guns for a very important reason, and that is so they can defend themselves against criminals and tyranny. A disarmed populace is defenseless and very easily controlled.

Do we allow individuals to own nukes or air craft carriers? If you believe the government needs to be overthrown by force, I'm pretty certain that they have better weapons and more skilled fighters. There isn't much in the way of open warfare that one could do. The best way to defeat tyrants is through words and information. Guns aren't needed to tell the truth.

I'm not for a ban against guns but the 2nd Amendment is about a well regulated militia not the right for every individual to have military style weapons. Perhaps we should make a rule that everyone has to join the military before they can own a gun.

The Assault Weapons ban is not gone. It was removed from gun control reform, not for good. Same with the high capacity magazine. They are making the issues separate.

Oh, and in VT, it was a P22 pistol and 9mm handgun. They were semi-automatic weapons that contained high capacity magazines. The handgun could carry up to 24 rounds. Virginia has easy access gun laws and no mandatory waiting period unless that has recently changed.

Lots of people have been trying since the first shootings began to increase in the mid to late 90s. Nothing is done and more and more of these tragic shootings keep happening. It seemed to be the final straw when first graders became the target. That seems to be what has set people over the edge. Because now it's about safety. Who has more rights? Should a five year old be able to go to school without being shot or should collectors get to keep buying military style guns?

Fun to shoot?

I agree with YPestis that the "defend ourselves against the gubmint!" line is so much balls, though. I was informed by some twat (and have heard this line a few times) that when Obama becomes too tyrannical ("too tyrannical"? where's the cut off point?) the gun-owners of America will rise up en masse and put him in his place. Which is why they need all the guns they can get.

There are soooo many flaws in this argument it's unreal, but then I prefer to leave my enemies to their delusions. ;)

The definition of tyrant for some on the right is any elected leader with who they disagree. It amazes me that some of them haven't started a miniwar already. They imagine that a large part of the American population would support them. In actuality, most of us would consider them terrorists and support the military taking them down. Of course, the terrorists' actions would probably cause the deaths of a quite a few civilians which would lead to an even greater dislike for their group.

Perhaps you should explain exactly why you need to own an assault weapon. They're not made for hunting. They are not made for "target shooting". They are made to KILL HUMANS. That is their stated purpose. Anyone who says differently is lying.

Your insistence on "not surrendering your rights" is laughable on its face. There are 300 million firearms in the United States. In other words, there's plenty of other makes and models you could obtain. Those who want the assault weapons/unlimited ammo have Rambo fantasies or believe the gun makes up for other shortcomings.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/woman-hiding-kids-shoots-intruder/nTm7s/

What if she didn't have a gun Rainytown? What if that same thing happened to you and your family? You'd be defenseless and totally at his mercy.

:YAWN:

Please give me the current number of people who've been "saved" by having a gun in the house, as opposed to those who've been shot by their own gun, had the gun turned on them, or shot with someone else's gun.

I'll give you a hint: Those saved are a fraction (less than 1%) of those who die every day in the United States at the point of a gun.

Archived