IGNORED

Introduce Yourself - Part 2

happy atheist

I too have been lurking for a long time. I was a BIG Duggar fan (and a big defender of their lifestyle) when I stumbled upon FJ. It was actually shortly after Jessa's wedding when there were rumors of her getting it on in the church. I had googled something and there was FJ and I was hooked. 

I was thoroughly sickened when I learned about who they really are and what they believe. Reading about Quiverfull and the stories on Recovering Grace blew my mind. I had no idea all these things were happening and I had no idea...I just assumed that they were the best of people because they had no debt and had good kids and weren't taking government handouts - boy was I wrong. 

I spend my little free time lurking through different Fundy families learning more and more. It's fascinating and disgusting at the same time, but I can't look away! I feel I am much more critical now and have been trying to spread the word about this cult to defenders of the Duggars. It's funny actually, the first thing I did when Joshgate 1.0 happened was run over here and see all hell break loose! 

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone!  Found FJ a few years ago.  Was raised fundie but am an only child (my parents were unable to have more).   Skirts, culottes, church 24/7 was my life.   Moved away and married a Marine.    Found myself shopping next to Teri Maxwell when we were stationed in Kansas and found this page!! 

A warm welcome to the newcomers!  I look forward to reading your posts  :hi:

Hi y'all. I am a 24 year old single woman living debt free in the panhandle of Florida. I achieved this goal without the help of Steve Maxwell's book  BUYING A HOUSE DEBT-FREE: EQUIPPING YOUR SON. I work from home and affectionately call my house the "fairy fort". My hound mix Olive, grey tabby Agatha, and black & white Manx Beatrice are my three best friends. I enjoy thumbing up posts and dreaming of a very complete "Who's who". I lived on a hippie commune in my very early 20s and find the similarities between the hard left and right movements to be incredibly similar. I'd love to write a very detailed post on the similarities between the opposing groups however my writing skills are sub par and I only have second hand knowledge of the far right fanatics.

Any who... Thank you for reading a little about myself and I hope to get to know you all better! 

Hi everyone!  I am a 23 year old woman from London, England.  I'm really looking forward to getting involved with the community here!

I found FJ while reading the comments on a gossip site about the Duggars where many of the commenters recommended it.  I have been lurking a little while, mainly reading about Jill + Jessa Duggar and recently Erica Shupe *smile* ;) I'm well and truly down the rabbit hole.  I'm not sure why the whole fundie thing is so fascinating to me, but it is ... I think because I was raised in such a completely different world (only child, went to uni, got a full time job, etc) that I'm both fascinated and horrified by the lives these people lead.  I'm sure that's the case for many others too. 

I look forward to chatting with you all! :D 

Another newbie here.

I have to confess that I only started watching and reading stuff to do with the Duggars after the whole Josh thing kicked off. It fast became my favourite show to hate-watch. I stumbled on this site while looking up news articles and I really like the cut of your collective jib. I look forward to enjoying much snark with you.

A little about me...I live in Barnsley (Yorkshire, UK), I enjoy knitting, reading and talking to my cat (why, yes, I am in my 30s and live alone...why do you ask?). I'm currently on long term sick from work, for over 3 weeks now so expect to see me a lot...the boredom has well and truly set in!

I am a lurker who finally registered :) Found FJ through TWoP and then forgot about it for a few years.  Alecia Pennington's video immediately made me think of FJ again and I've been lurking steadily since.

I'm a woman currently living in NE Oregon, in my husband's home town.  I am about to be 33 ;)

I love hamsters!  I have never looked into what the Hamster Cage of Doom post count refers to, and I'm not sure I want to.  I also really love cats. We currently have two - so no hamsters atm.

I was raised in a fairly mainstream way, though moving around a lot as my father was in the Army.  Dad was raised Lutheran (even attended and later dropped out of Seminary school) and he later converted to Baptism.  My parents were never overly pushy on the subject of religion.  I did some Sunday school, but we were never regular church-goers.  Dad figured out with me early on that I found the beauty and awe in the world/universe through science first and foremost, and was very encouraging of that.  My father is very much a compatibilist as regards faith and science.

A few years ago my mother converted to Wicca.  I have no particular problem with Wicca, but her local coven is controlling, unhealthy, and full of drama that I won't get into here.  She's also a hoarder which is a whole other deal.  She's Native American and like so many was removed from her family and fostered.  She was eventually adopted at age 10.  This occurred a few years before the Indian Child Welfare Act was passed.  I get the impression that her issues with control and worth largely stem from those experiences.

I have 3 younger siblings, and 2 older half-brothers.

I am happily married to an agnostic, who was basically raised such.  He's completely awesome and my safe place :)

My best friend of 11 years now was raised JW.  They started pressuring her father for courtship when she was 12.  His refusal caused trouble for them, and eventually her parents had enough and left. Despite the harm the JW experience did, she says she'll be forever grateful to him for that refusal and for getting out.  She, too, is happily married to a great guy :)

My fascination with this stuff began as a teen when I lost a few friends to controlling, isolating churches.  It was all confusing and painful. Though I now know, in some ways, more so for them.

Learning more about it, and meeting more people who have broken free of similar situations, it's become a pretty big interest of mine.  When QF and other such folks make news, I make sure to take the opportunity, while people are discussing them, to provide as much information as I can.  I provide examples and links to those who are interested.  A lot of people aren't very aware, and that's a shame.  FJ has been a very good resource in that regard and I'm happy to have finally registered :)

...I can sometimes be long-winded :embarrassed:

I've been lurking for a year or so.  I lurked because of my strong disgust for what the Duggars represent, then I started reading your other topics which are also very interesting!  Many times I've wanted to comment, but could not so I finally decided to register.  I had a problem registering since Safari kept on reloading the page in an endless loop. 

Slightly older than most of you, from what I've surmise.  A lot older than the above newbies.   Longterm atheist (raised Catholic), love to garden, and liberal.

Ladies and gentlemen, after four years of ups, downs, heartbreaks and radical successes, several hits of lsd, a new job, and new amazing mind expanding friends, I introduce myself to you as a completely different person.

i don't know why I chose to do this, but you should all know that you were instrumental in breaking my closed, angry, repressed mind out of the deep deep pain I didn't even know I was in.

this is Raquel's blog interview that y'all roasted me for (rightly) four years ago, and I remembered all the things that had happened and wondered to myself, how would I now answer these same questions? I thought you guys might enjoy the results of what happens when a fundamentalist is thrown into reality.

Name: Josiah Woltersdorf 

A few favorite hobbies/pastimes: playing music, dancing, studying, camping, cross dressing

Favorite subject in school: science 

Favorite book: 1984, by George Orwell 

Favorite movie: The Brothers Bloom 

Something you look forward to every day: random adventures! 

1) What are your thoughts on modesty? Modesty is great. It shows that you know when to hold back, and when to let loose. Oh, clothes? Walk naked in public for all I care. There should be no shame associated with your body image, and one should be able to express themselves as fully, or get into an environment where you can do so safely.

2) Some of us feel that we either give too much effort, or not enough, in worrying about the way we dress. What is your suggestion to how you wish girls would dress? What do you like to see girls wearing? I wish all girls would wear whatever they want and not feel like they need to know my opinion on these things. This is a stupid question.

3) How do you feel about girls wearing makeup? I love to wear makeup myself! So go for it.

4) A lot of girls worry about looking chic around guys…but what do you consider pretty? I consider not worrying about chic to be pretty. Put something on, if you think it's pretty, there's bound to be someone else who thinks it's pretty as well!

5) Do guys ever notice changes in girls? Hair styles, clothes, etc.? I try to! But I've never been able to pay enough attention to the details of other people's clothes to notice. I notice hairstyle changes! But who doesn't?

6) What is something that you want/look for, the most, in your future wife? I'm not looking for a future wife right now. Relationships are intense, and I prefer the open relationship gig, anyways. 

7) Do you often feel peer pressure from your friends? In any way, but mostly in the standards that you have set for your life. Yes, And I give in. I'm hardly ever sorry I did. How else are you gonna open yourself to new experiences if someone doesn't show you the way? And as for what I stand for? I stand for not poking fun at the less fortunate. If something is going to harm someone, physically or verbally, I say something and tell them to knock it the fuck off.

8) What do you consider flirting and what do you think of a girl when she flirts with you? Since I was brainwashed since I was young, I don't know how to flirt. (Thanks fundamentalism) I'm kinda bitter about it.

9) How do you feel about dating? I have a blast with both tinder and OK Cupid, and I love going on dates with people I meet while dancing and in other social situations!

10) If you agree w/ courting, how much involvement from YOUR parents do you believe is appropriate in helping you make a final choice in your future wife?courting is bullshit. Not only is it bullshit, it's harmful, destructive bullshit designed to entrap young minds into a life of close minded evangelicalism forever. My parents have nothing to do with my relationship choices, or with anyone's relationship choices after they are 18.

11) When you’re interested in a girl, do you focus on her family too? Do you make it a point to get to know them as much as you want to get to know her? If she wants me to, but the main point of a relationship is the girl you are seeing. It all depends on what you want out of a relationship, and how involved with the family you really want/need to be

12) What is your view on college for girls? Everyone who feels compelled to go to college definitely should! Follow yo dreams, child!

13) What is your dream job? And why? I kinda want to be a carpenter. When I'm old, I want a couple of acres, a miniature jersey, and a little garden where I can grow my veggies and marijuana, and just relax :)

14) What do you think the man’s role is in the home – compared to the woman’s? It depends on the couple, and what works for them to both to be able to pursue their passions and be able to take care of their children to provide them with a home in which they can feel safe and cared for and nurtured

15) How many kids would you like to have? A couple. I think I'd love to be a dad.

16) A lot of guys like using sarcasm around girls…do you know why that is? Nope. 

17) Do guys like it when girls are tomboyish or more girlie? I kinda love the tomboyish girls! I want to go camping and adventuring!

18) Is there anything that you would appreciate girls doing differently in order to help you maintain your purity? I'm not maintaining my purity, so naturally, no. Also, that's not their fucking duty.

19) What do you think about guys and girls hugging? I dig it.

20) When do you plan to have your first kiss? Already had it. Great story, actually. I was drunk one night downtown where this water line had burst and a girl was playing in the water which was spraying some forty feet in the air. As I and my best friend walked by, she came over to me and asked me to play in the water with her. I didn't want to get wet, but then promised I would if she kissed me. She agreed and we went and stood under this fountain of water and she gave me a big ol kiss. Fun times.

21) How will you respond if God’s plan is out of sync with your own? Too bad for god, I guess. What does this even mean? (Disclaimer, I know what this means, and that this question was born out of a brainwashed and Ill-fitted-for-modern-society approach to life. This question makes me a little sad)

22) What do you think of girls posting pictures of guys on their blog? Why is this question being asked anyway? I gave you my pictures...

23) Do you guys sometimes get weirded out by being friends with girls? Some do, and I hope they grow out of it.  I rather enjoy both platonic and sexual relationships with women!

24) What is one thing that girls do that you hate? This question is blatantly sexist and I refuse to answer.

25) To what degree should a guy and girl just ‘be friends’? To what degree should they be betrothed? Betrothed?? To whatever degree they want! Whatever makes them comfortable and feel fulfilled.

Hi! I'm a 21 year old okie. 

I've been watching the Duggars for several years now, I guess out of a kind of gross curiosity? I follow a few tumblr blogs like wtffundiefamilies who reference FJ frequently and I finally decided to look you all up. Now I've been reading for DAYS. Can't stop myself, this community seems really great :)

Hi! I've been lurking off and on for years,  but lurked pretty intensely after Joshgate. Once JoshlyMadison hit: forget about it. :dramallama-nanner: (This was not the emoji I was thinking of, but I have no idea what emotion this one was designed to represent, which also kind of works, so I went with what felt good.)

I kept lurking to learn Board culture--stuff moves pretty fast around here! I'm still figuring out where everything is, but it's cool to be a part of this! Thanks!

51 minutes ago, ScreamingIzzy said:

:dramallama-nanner: (This was not the emoji I was thinking of, but I have no idea what emotion this one was designed to represent, which also kind of works, so I went with what felt good.)

This cute little duo is a banana riding a drama llama.  You chose wisely, grasshopper.  Welcome to posting on FJ!

5 hours ago, Whoosh said:

This cute little duo is a banana riding a drama llama.  You chose wisely, grasshopper.  Welcome to posting on FJ!

"Drama llama"? Of course it is.

Thanks for the welcome!

On 18 January 2016 at 1:53 PM, Front Hugging Fiend said:

Hey hi hello! 20 years old, female, sucker for hugging of the frontal-kind (heathen!!!) and Australian. Long time lurker on and off since the yuku days, though my initial lurkings were based on a fascination with the Duggars based on their show. 

Raised Catholic but never really 'got' it or believed it. Took Study of Religion at school and learned heaps about a bunch of religions and faiths, which led me to a deeper fascination with the dangerous cult-like fundamentalism.

I should clarify that my fascination is not at all positive. I just find some interest in picking apart the ridiculous/problematic elements of fundamentalism, particularly as it pertains to the indoctrination of children and homeschooling/education shortfalls. 

Wow. So much fun.

Can't believe I'm finally taking the plunge and posting as a member. I've been lurking for so long... Bear with me. Keen to get involved and get to know you guys.

Yay! Another Aussie! There's a few of us around. G'day, and welcome!!

Welcome to ALL the newbies! The more the better - we're generally pretty friendly, so don't be nervous about posting - we all started somewhere :) 

Hello, nice to be getting to know all of you. I have been interested in these topics long ago from when the Duggar home was finished on The Home Show, their first public grifting perhaps? 

I am a 53 yr old woman who is disabled, but fighting every day to come back. This forum pulled me through many a dark and painful day.  It got to the point where I could not keep quiet anymore. The little mouse roared, lol. I used to be a Vet Tech, and have been married for almost thirty years, with 2 adult sons.

I am looking forward to reading my way around here some more. Can't wait until Josh is going to be free! ish? or er! 

On 2/22/2016 at 6:25 PM, CryCheeble said:

I am a lurker who finally registered :) Found FJ through TWoP and then forgot about it for a few years.  Alecia Pennington's video immediately made me think of FJ again and I've been lurking steadily since.

I'm a woman currently living in NE Oregon, in my husband's home town.  I am about to be 33 ;)

I love hamsters!  I have never looked into what the Hamster Cage of Doom post count refers to, and I'm not sure I want to.  I also really love cats. We currently have two - so no hamsters atm.

I was raised in a fairly mainstream way, though moving around a lot as my father was in the Army.  Dad was raised Lutheran (even attended and later dropped out of Seminary school) and he later converted to Baptism.  My parents were never overly pushy on the subject of religion.  I did some Sunday school, but we were never regular church-goers.  Dad figured out with me early on that I found the beauty and awe in the world/universe through science first and foremost, and was very encouraging of that.  My father is very much a compatibilist as regards faith and science.

A few years ago my mother converted to Wicca.  I have no particular problem with Wicca, but her local coven is controlling, unhealthy, and full of drama that I won't get into here.  She's also a hoarder which is a whole other deal.  She's Native American and like so many was removed from her family and fostered.  She was eventually adopted at age 10.  This occurred a few years before the Indian Child Welfare Act was passed.  I get the impression that her issues with control and worth largely stem from those experiences.

I have 3 younger siblings, and 2 older half-brothers.

I am happily married to an agnostic, who was basically raised such.  He's completely awesome and my safe place :)

My best friend of 11 years now was raised JW.  They started pressuring her father for courtship when she was 12.  His refusal caused trouble for them, and eventually her parents had enough and left. Despite the harm the JW experience did, she says she'll be forever grateful to him for that refusal and for getting out.  She, too, is happily married to a great guy :)

My fascination with this stuff began as a teen when I lost a few friends to controlling, isolating churches.  It was all confusing and painful. Though I now know, in some ways, more so for them.

Learning more about it, and meeting more people who have broken free of similar situations, it's become a pretty big interest of mine.  When QF and other such folks make news, I make sure to take the opportunity, while people are discussing them, to provide as much information as I can.  I provide examples and links to those who are interested.  A lot of people aren't very aware, and that's a shame.  FJ has been a very good resource in that regard and I'm happy to have finally registered :)

...I can sometimes be long-winded :embarrassed:

Not long winded, you had a lot to cover! I'm new here, too.

I'd love a blog about the drama in the coven, Interesting as all such things can be, from a distance!

On 2/25/2016 at 0:17 PM, GardenerEm said:

I've been lurking for a year or so.  I lurked because of my strong disgust for what the Duggars represent, then I started reading your other topics which are also very interesting!  Many times I've wanted to comment, but could not so I finally decided to register.  I had a problem registering since Safari kept on reloading the page in an endless loop. 

Slightly older than most of you, from what I've surmise.  A lot older than the above newbies.   Longterm atheist (raised Catholic), love to garden, and liberal.

I'm quoting you b/c this way I can save us all time and just say-me too! Thanks.

Wow. FJ is like the freaking TARDIS. 

I had no idea all the stuff that went on here beyond the forums! 

Free Jinger: It's bigger on the inside.

Hey Guys,  I'm a long time ghost who started reading back when everyone was arguing about whether Razing Ruth was real or not.  I'm a former home school grad who danced at the fringes of the patriarchy moment, and have a couple friends who are still trapped deeper in.

Hi guys,

I've been lurking for years and have dropped into post every now and then and I thought I'd quickly introduce myself  properly. I'm a 20-something ex-Catholic left-wing atheist Australian who is currently living in the Deep South of the US, which makes for some interesting times to say the least. I'm chipping away at a PhD at the moment and that literally consumes my life so I'm likely to still mainly lurk and then go on sudden procrastination posting bursts! 

I do really like hanging out here though and I'm going to try and be a bit more interactive. Nice to meet y'all. 

Hey y'all! I'm FF. Nice to meet y'all. Feel free to reach out if you need anything!! Welcome to FJ!

Hello! I'm Molly from Kansas. I've been lurking on and off since the Dullard wedding. The Duggars were my gateway drug, then things spiraled out of control to the Bateseses, Rodrigueses, Nauglers, and most recently, Lori "God Herself" Alexander. I'm a Catholic-raised agnostic living in the only liberal paradise in this state, but I'm from a small town in southeastern Kansas where things are exactly as you'd expect. I find myself relating to the Duggar and Bates older daughters, since I'm a day younger than Erin, so sometimes I need to come here for a reality check. My husband likes to joke that fundies are my hobby, and now that I have an account, I guess that's true. I also enjoy biking, gardening, Jayhawk basketball, and being the cool aunt.

6 hours ago, CreationMuseumCurator said:

I'm from a small town in southeastern Kansas where things are exactly as you'd expect.

Welcome! We used to live in a small town in northeastern Kansas. We'd give people directions to our house using the anti-abortion billboards ("You'll want to turn left at the billboard that says, 'Choose Life'--but the font is weird so it KINDA looks like 'Cheese Lips'") and so I can totally understand your joy at finding the only blue dot in a very red state. :56247957a2c7b_32(17):

5 minutes ago, ScreamingIzzy said:

Welcome! We used to live in a small town in northeastern Kansas. We'd give people directions to our house using the anti-abortion billboards ("You'll want to turn left at the billboard that says, 'Choose Life'--but the font is weird so it KINDA looks like 'Cheese Lips'") and so I can totally understand your joy at finding the only blue dot in a very red state. :56247957a2c7b_32(17):

SO MANY anti-abortion signs. Most of the ones on the turnpike are in bad shape, which strikes me as appropriate and awkward at the same time. Did you ever see Wheat Jesus on I-70 while you lived here? He's out near Manhattan.

AJQcA.jpg

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Curious unpinned this topic

Archived