IGNORED

Introduce Yourself - Part 2

happy atheist

Hello! I found FreeJinger during the Duggar scandal, which reconfirmed my assumption that anyone who holds him or herself up as a example of family values must be a pervert :?

After lurking here and reading related blogs, I've gotten a whole new insight into how dangerous fundieism in general and Christian Patriarchy specifically are for women and children. I was raised Catholic, but born a skeptic so religion has never been a big thing for me. I grew up in a small town in Michigan and we had a few skirt wearing (even in the cold, cold winter!), long haired Baptists, but I did not think much about them. This was the '80s and '90s and the ideas might not have been so extreme then.

I look forward to learning more about these belief systems and the impact they may have on society.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been lurking on and off for a while - since TWOP called it quits. The Duggar scandal brought me back because FJ is the best for the latest info. I've felt oddly compelled to follow that scandal and while here I've fallen down a couple of rabbit holes - especially the Maxwells. It's like a train wreck, I can't look away - spent many fascinated and befuddled hours wandering the archives lately.

On a personal note I've seen people irl I love fall into the fundy thing and I just don't get it. There are a lot of things with which I disagree, but still can intellectually understand, but this? I've tried to understand it but it doesn't make any sense to me.

Hi everyone

I am new here, I found this site accidentally and have really enjoyed reading some of the comments on here in different threads.

I'm a Christian, but not a fundamentalist one, and I'm very much against fundamentalism in every form. I've had a couple of bad experiences with a couple of the women whose blogs are talked about on here so I'll be following those discussions with interest.

Greetings! I originally came here to learn more about ATI/IFB, particularly in the area of education after seeing something downright troubling elsewhere on the internet. I was lead here by a media source link during my rampant use of Google tactics. I'm sure you can guess what the media was on about, yeah?

Since then, I've been reading over the archives as I tend to do before I consider posting in most forums. Wine and pent-up snark doesn't always mix so well though. To repent and atone, I've put myself back into the archives where I'm almost finished reading about The Tool. I think I'm going to need a bigger bottle of wine. :character-jaws:

I was a Duggar fan when I first saw them on the Discovery Channel. However, over the years, their dubious choices started bothering me and they simply became an oddity to watch. Thanks to FreeJinger, I'm starting to look into other Fundie families. Despite the Duggar episodes featuring the Bates, the Kellers, and ATI, I didn't quite understand the breadth of this movement until I came here.

I'm from the Midwest (USA) and I'm 24 years old. I'm female; I don't have children, and I'm working towards becoming a teacher.

Hey everyone! I've been lurking on this site for a little while now and I finally decided to join. I'm generally fascinated with fundie/fundie-lite Christianity.

Hey y'all! I'm from Alberta, Canada, and I'm a 19-year-old student studying Public Policy!

It wasn't really the Duggars that brought me in at all. I obviously had heard about them but always thought that it was weird that people were obsessed with the show given that I thought it was just about a family with a lot of kids doing stuff- like what's so cool about that?

I come from a large (extended, not a megafamily) family myself and we're all pretty close together, so I've been a frequent babysitter since I was around 10/11 for kids that have ranged between babies to around 12/13 when I was older, and usually look on mommy blogs on the internet for ideas about what to do to occupy the kids, like DIY-type activities and "homeschooling" projects that you could adapt for that, recipes, or knitting projects I can do/cool presents for kids around the holidays, and tips on like "How to handle sibling fights" or "How to keep 5yo quiet" type things.

I'm pretty sure everyone on FJ has to know that when you look up mommy blogs, almost all are Christian ladies and while 90% of that number are just people who celebrate Christmas and Easter and have bible verse tattoos or whatever going on, eventually if you look around enough you find you know- the modesty fashion blogs, that faux-homechurch "homestead" people, the people who think public school is the root of all evil, the ones who think their child has 20,000 special needs and God has purposed them to make the world more accommodating...and then the fundies. I was immediately fascinated by these people mostly because okay, first, I laughed (of course!) but then I couldn't get enough of the pioneer outfits, swimwear with leggings, the whole courtship "doctrines", SAHDs...oh boy...and then I even watched a few episodes of the Duggars.

It's just such a different world that I guess it's easy to fall into the rabbit hole. I think my gateway fundy blog was a no-name, but I followed that one through links to the bigger fundies, and then found FJ, so I read through the public threads and decided to join!

As for faith background, I'm personally agnostic and went to Christian services and VBS/Sunday School/Youth Groups sporadically growing up, and went to Catholic HS. All the church I've been exposed to so far seems to be more liberal leaning or else just very relaxed interpretations of God/the Bible and more preaching material rather than trying to make people act a certain way.

Hi!

I'm 25. From the midwest in the U.S.

I have two small children, one of whom is autistic.

I am in my last year of my undergrad, getting certified to teach high school social studies. Then I'm going on to get my master's in library science.

I'm getting married next month.

I like music, coffee, and stuff.

I didn't know this was here!

I'm a 25 year old wife and mother. Our two daughters are 5 and 3. We are currently stationed in Mobile, Alabama unfortunately. We are in our first year of homeschooling. Other than that, I like to play video games, read, and work out. I used to think the Duggars and Bates were alright. Then this site was mentioned on another forum so I came here and had my eyes opened and suspicions confirmed!

Hi there, folks! Figured I should probably post here and introduce myself really quickly. I'm a 22 year old college student. Grew up in Canada, moved to Los Angeles, CA right at the start of highschool.

Been lurking for a while and always found the conversations amusing enough to decide to finally make an account, too.

I mainly follow the Kody Brown clan (That man is a beaut, isn't he? Those gorgeous golden locks...) and the train wreck that is the Duggars. A good 20 minutes into an episode, I tend to have accumulated enough cringe to fill up a small hippo...

So anyway, excited to start snarkin' with the rest of the bunch here! :)

Hello. I found FJ searching for info on the Duggars. I lurked daily for over a year before joining. I knew little about fundamentalism and nothing about the Quiverfull movement, ATI or Gothard. I am appreciative of the breadth and depth of knowledge of those on this site. I look forward to continuing to explore the forums. And the snark keeps me laughing.

Hi everyone, I am finally joining too. Have been lurking for a long time. I am from Europe, grew up in a slightly fundie environment myself. Left that behind long ago (as the only one of my family) and am now a liberal Christian. Have been fascinated by fundamentalism since 14 Kids...

I'm a chemist who is actively looking for a job, but the economy sucks so, yeah. :angry-banghead:

My journey here started right before Joshgate. I had recently finished graduate school, and was just starting to venture out into society again 8-) After all that work I needed something that required minimum brain power to watch so picked trashy reality tv - real housewives, shahs of sunset, southern charm, and of course, 19 K&C. I came across this site when I needed to commiserate on how crazy the Duggars are. It just so happened that I joined about a week before the police reports came out! :shit-fan:

Hi everyone. Figured it was about time to come out of a year long lurkdom, and it would have been sooner only the crazy that was Joshgate kept me busy enough reading I didn't manage to find time to post.

I'm 27 and a teacher in the UK, and like many I guess, it was the Duggar train wreck that brought me here. Since then I've fallen down quite a few rabbit holes (Jill Rodrigues - WTF?) and figured it was about time I posted something, not least because my husband is fed up of hearing about fundies!

Hi! I've been lurking for a while and then made an account around the time of Joshgate and continued lurking. I'm 24 from NY, I love reality TV across all channels. I enjoy the snark level of this forum, feels like home!

Hi all, like most newbies I've been lurking for a wee while before biting the bullet and registering on the site. I love reading the funny, intelligent posts on this forum - a pleasant change from most social media!

Hello! I've been lurking for at least a year and finally bit the bullet and made an account (albeit a silly, gimmicky one.) I cut my teeth on the Duggars (can you tell?) by watching their show in horror alongside my younger sister the past few years. Only recently have I begun to branch out into the wide world of fundie terror, thanks to this site!

As for personal bits, I graduated with a BA in English last year and I recently found work that wasn't soul-sucking. Hooray! I like certain tabletop roleplaying games, cooking, reading, poetry, metalsmithing, and mythology. I have a bunch of costumes and perfume oils. That about covers it, I think...

Hello! I've been lurking for at least a year and finally bit the bullet and made an account (albeit a silly, gimmicky one.) I cut my teeth on the Duggars (can you tell?) by watching their show in horror alongside my younger sister the past few years. Only recently have I begun to branch out into the wide world of fundie terror, thanks to this site!

As for personal bits, I graduated with a BA in English last year and I recently found work that wasn't soul-sucking. Hooray! I like certain tabletop roleplaying games, cooking, reading, poetry, metalsmithing, and mythology. I have a bunch of costumes and perfume oils. That about covers it, I think...

Aaaaaa! Your name is so great and I love your pic! (Fellow tabletop gamer here as well, though I haven't really had the opportunity to get into RPGs yet)

Aaaaaa! Your name is so great and I love your pic! (Fellow tabletop gamer here as well, though I haven't really had the opportunity to get into RPGs yet)

Aww sweet! And thank you. What have you played? (Also if this needs to be moved to PMs then tell me, because I don't know what is or is not allowed necessarily on a newbie welcome board as far as conversing goes outside of "Hi, I'm ___ and I like __") :P

Aww sweet! And thank you. What have you played? (Also if this needs to be moved to PMs then tell me, because I don't know what is or is not allowed necessarily on a newbie welcome board as far as conversing goes outside of "Hi, I'm ___ and I like __") :P

Honestly not sure, so moving to PMs now just to be safe :)

Honestly not sure, so moving to PMs now just to be safe :)

We can start a thread about it in Worldly Distractions and you might find more people to talk with.

Hi! Lurker for past year or so, blah blah. Finally made an account due to Joshley Madison-gate because SQUEEE! So yeah, I'm another basic Duggar bitch.

I'm an oversharing narcissist, so I'll spare y'all the details about me now because lord knows, if I keep posting I'll vomit it all over the place somewhere.

Hi all, I'm an old lurker from baby watching and Joshgate part 1.

I'm an aussie, but I find cults fascinating. My mother grew up in one. I was send to a fundamental christian school which meant I became a christian and led me a good holey life, which did not last long once I got into the real world and grew a brain.

Now I'm a sour agnostic who has issues with the mind control of religion.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Curious unpinned this topic

Archived