IGNORED

College Rape Survivor Faces Potential Expulsion

NotALoserLikeYou

I honestly don't think schools should have honor courts because it's cases like this where they have no real experience with how to treat victims it's a joke.

I think universities need to have some system in place for hearings on academic cheating, but it sounds like there needs to be more oversight here. I don't think university honor courts should handle criminal cases.

I was supposed to go in front of an honor court because I attempted suicide back in November. I ended up getting it settled before it came to that and I was allowed to go back to class, but I'm still on "conduct suspension." (Oh, and I can't use their counseling services anymore.)

This case is particularly horrible. A lot of universities are absolutely terrible with dealing with students; all they really care about is their image.

I'm sorry but WHAT?! You attempted suicide and you ended up in Honor Court, AND you can't use their counseling services? That is some bullshit right there. I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that at a time where you needed help, and trust not more stress! My goodness!

I'm sorry but WHAT?! You attempted suicide and you ended up in Honor Court, AND you can't use their counseling services? That is some bullshit right there. I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that at a time where you needed help, and trust not more stress! My goodness!

My college Eastern Illinois University a small university in central IL is famous for this. A rape survivor had a panic attack in class and was academically dismissed for that and other reasons they never stated. I also wasn't allowed to use my university's joke of a counseling center because my anxiety stemmed from sexual assault so they handed me over to the local rape crisis center. Rightfully so, but I don't know why they bill themselves as a counseling center when they aren't even properly trained to handle student's issues. If the rape crisis center wasn't on campus although they aren't affiliated with the university I don't know where I would have gone. We also recently made the huffington post for my school's lack of response to sexual assault issues on campus.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/julia-kac ... 63758.html

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2007/10/15/ptsd

Due to my college's lovely mistreatment of students who have mental illness when going to the hospital if you feel suicidal or have other mental health issues the hospital staff will advise students to not put it on the college's medical insurance because of that very reason. Sadly there are countless universities that abide by the same policies which will make students who really suffer not want to get help. I was hospitalized three times in my college career and the fear of being found out by the college was hurtful.

http://www.westernherald.com/news/stude ... rce=feedly

Wow, this just shocks me. I went to a small state university and never had any of these issues. I don't think we have an honor court, or I am unaware of it. My school was quite understanding about my anxiety and health issues in the past. I can't believe some schools just care so little and to expel people for admitting a crime or having a panic attack is insane.

We did not have an honor court either. If you were suspected of cheating, the prof took the case straight to a dean. Criminal matters were handled either by campus or township police. I never had a situation where I needed the police, so I don't remember how those forces worked together.

Edit for memory lapse. We did need the police when we were robbed, but we were in off campus housing so the first instinct was call 9-1-1, which sends township police.

Archived