IGNORED

FJ Pets Thread

crazyforkate

And no, I don't mean pet fundies ;)

My dog, Fera, is a 6-year-old female golden retriever we rescued a few years back. She is hyperactive and obsessed with light (my dad thinks she's a physicist in secret), and we actually had her on the veterinary brand of Prozac for a while because she was SO anxious it was wrecking her health. However, she is a total sweetie and loves us very much, especially my dad because he has a truck she likes to ride in. She is our third golden retriever - we pretty much have always had them since 1990, save for brief periods between one dog passing away and another joining us. She is also probably the smartest and the best hunter out of our dogs, though she hasn't managed to catch the airplanes she chases just yet! (But rodents and quail in our yard - beware.) Her name comes from the latin for iron, because my dad likes geology and she is rust-coloured.

Here's a picture of Fera, shortly after we got her - her fur has grown out since so she looks like the more "majestic" golden...

Fera-1.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fera is just beautiful!

We currently have three dogs: a 14 year old terrier, a Shih Tzu I inherited from my mom when she went into assisted living, and a chocolate dapple smooth dachshund.We also have two cats: a grey and white 12 year old cat and a Maine Coon I raised from infancy. He and his brother were orphaned and had to be hand-reared. My middle daughter and her husband have the brother. All our animals have been rescues of one sort or another. Our oldest cat and dog came from the shelter, the dachsie and the ShihTzu from rescue groups (my mom first rescued the Shih Tzu) and the youngest cat was also rescued. Most of my 8 granddogs and 8 grandcats have been rescued, too. Only the 3 German shepherds came from a breeder.

awww Fera is beautiful. I love Goldens :)

These are my Sister Dogs. They are full sisters from different litters and for some reason I get way too much amusement out of calling them Sister Dogs, which no one but people here, probably gets.

post-132-14451996067038_thumb.jpg

Cute doggies! I currently have 4 cats. At one point I had 10 cats, but I had to realise it wasn't my job to save EVERY cat I saw. Currently I have Tigger 9 years, Mr. Jingles 4 years, Zazzy 1 year and Monet almost 6 months. I will post pics when I'm not feeling so lazy :)

Yay pets!

I have 4.5 dogs. :) (Lizzie (mittelspitz, 7 years old this fall); Jack (Akita X rescue, ~5 years old), Rogue and Nita (Poms, 4 years old) and the half is Image, a 2 year old GSD who may ro may not be staying. (If she doesn't stay, there will be a GSD puppy joining the family.) I've also got a foster here right now, Zeke, a 10 month old BC.

We do dock diving, lure coursing, and dabble in a few other dog sports and I volunteer for a local rescue group as their social media geek and occasionally foster.

Aww Curious they're darling! What breeds are they?

They are long-haired chihuahuas. We have Papillons as well, but they are all my husbands dogs (freaking little traitors), hence we now have 2 long haired chihuahuas ;)

My avatar is Ginger, my yellow lab. We lost her to lung cancer this past September, she was 11 years, 3 months. :cry: My puppy obsessed about her Frisbees, if she didn't get to play with them at least 4-5 times a day she would throw temper tantrums and swear at you- these high pitched yips that you could just she was cussing you out.

November Rain, in that pic of Zazzy, he is doing what is called "Larry leg" after the late, great Larry who did that spectacularly.

November Rain, in that pic of Zazzy, he is doing what is called "Larry leg" after the late, great Larry who did that spectacularly.

Awww... I have always called it doing "ballerina toes" with my kitties. :lol:

I have two XL (big-boned, not fat, says the vet) 16 lb Tuxedo cats. They are littermates, so brother cats, which isn't quite as nifty as Curious' sister dogs. Their names are The Dude and Walter after The Big Lebowski. They're quite easy-going lap chaps who take my seven-year-old son's hijinks in stride :)

This is Spunky, she's about 7 years old and we adopted her 2 years ago. She was rescued in Tennessee and brought to NYC. When we adopted her they said that she might take awhile to adjust to city noises but she was completely fine.

t7ga9z.jpg

We have a chinchilla too but he won't stay still for pictures and doesn't really like people.

I just lost my dear Aussie pal, Bodhi. He was 8-1/2 years old; cancer got him. He was such a great guy, my sidekick and beloved by all who knew him. I probably will want a dog again someday; just not ready for it right now.

If I could figure out how to reduce the size of my pics I'd post one of him. ;)

I just lost my dear Aussie pal, Bodhi. He was 8-1/2 years old; cancer got him. He was such a great guy, my sidekick and beloved by all who knew him. I probably will want a dog again someday; just not ready for it right now.

I'm so sorry. He sounds like a sweetheart. You can reduce the size in a common editing program like Photoshop or Paint.net (free online). It would great to see pics of him :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just have the Beast. He's a medium-sized flopsy mutt. We live in different cities seeing as I'm a student at all, but he's still mine.

I have a big black cat named Katie who we call the devil, two tabbies named angel and rodeo, and the calico named cali.

We have a black cat 15 years old. Had him since he was weened. Born of Friday 13th do named him jinx. Real shy for a long time not very cuddly.

My avatar is Ginger, my yellow lab. We lost her to lung cancer this past September, she was 11 years, 3 months. :cry: My puppy obsessed about her Frisbees, if she didn't get to play with them at least 4-5 times a day she would throw temper tantrums and swear at you- these high pitched yips that you could just she was cussing you out.

Aw, my beloved brindle died two years ago this month and I still miss her :(

I always found it strange when people would say that pets are like their owners, but my dog was so much like me. I rescued her and only had her for three years, but it was so weird how she was so much like me. Maybe that's why I picked her? My dog was lazy (like me), a picky eater (like me) and liked to sleep all day (like me :D ). Her routine was to get up everyday when I got home from work so she could go for her walk. Even on days I had off, she would just ignore me, give me side-eye if I tried bothering her, and then get up at the time I would normally get home.

I have a 9 month old chiuahua named wylie. We got him when he was less than 2 weeks old because his mother rejected him. I hate little does but this one has my heart. I also have 3 horses some chickens and a pig. The pigs days are numbered. He is our Easter ham. Ignore the sexy man-titty Haha :)

post-3416-14451997167102_thumb.jpg

post-3416-14451997167638_thumb.jpg

I have a 9 month old chiuahua named wylie. We got him when he was less than 2 weeks old because his mother rejected him. I hate little does but this one has my heart. I also have 3 horses some chickens and a pig. The pigs days are numbered. He is our Easter ham. Ignore the sexy man-titty Haha :)

Aw...that is a happy chihuahua :)

We have Papillons, so were used to small dogs, but the Chihuahuas have totally won me over. I love the Papillons, but I can't imagine not have a chi in my life from this point on. They do not turn traitor like the Papillons always do, so that is a bonus, as well ;)

Aw...that is a happy chihuahua :)

We have Papillons, so were used to small dogs, but the Chihuahuas have totally won me over. I love the Papillons, but I can't imagine not have a chi in my life from this point on. They do not turn traitor like the Papillons always do, so that is a bonus, as well ;)

He is one spoiled dog thats for sure. We don't have children yet so wylie is our baby. I've always had big dogs so a little one is new to me.

He is one spoiled dog thats for sure. We don't have children yet so wylie is our baby. I've always had big dogs so a little one is new to me.

If he is like our chis and paps he doesn't know he's small and woe unto anyone who tells him that he is ;)

Getting my 7 month old kitten spayed tomorrow. I have had many cats, but i always worry when they have to be "put under". I had a cat that stopped breathing once and now just become a bundle of nerves. I'm sure everything will be fine, she' s very healthy.

• 3 weeks later...

Aww, I love seeing all the pets.

We've currently got 4--all rescues, 3 cool cats and one dog. One of the cats (Mel) is pure white with a little smudge on the top of this head and one blue and one yellow eye. The other two are brothers, a minky grey named Murray and a grey and white one named Petey. Our 2 YO pup Zelda is...anyone's guess. We think she may be a mix of basenji and chihuahua. She had been abused and abandoned at a resuce and she's definitely been a tough case but we've worked with her constantly and she's the sweetest dog and VERY attached to us. The highlight of my day is coming home and having her race to meet me at the door. She also loves sleeping under the covers right next to me. I adore her.

The past year and a half was a tough one for us, petwise. We lost our 13 YO greyhound and our two oldest cats and it was just brutal. My spring project is to put in an all white memorial garden for them.

I can't imagine life without our pets.

Archived