IGNORED

New One Ton on Ramp computer class!

Justme

Josie qualified for Medicaid because by definition all micro-preemies are disabled under the law. The entire time she was in the hospital before her first discharge she was "institutionalized" and thus her parents' assets and income were not considered in the calculation. Once she left the hospital and went home the first time, her parents' resources would come into play as she was in their home.

Hi! First post. I haven't been reading that long but I recently read through the entire Maxwell blog after coming across it accidentally. I am totally dumbfounded and somewhat fascinated by this bizarre fundy blog phenomenon that you you guys discovered long ago.

Anyway, my daughter was born at 26 weeks. She is fine now, but yes federal SSDI made her automatically eligible for $30/month and Meidcaid. We did have to apply. It is not automatic. I have great insurance and I only owed about $800 on $300,0000 in bills for her first 6 months. Medicaid picked up that $800. She is no longer on SSDI but she still gets Medicaid- either the state hasn't noticed or a mild hearing loss is keeping her eligible. I keep it as a just in case. We are way over income but that has never been taken into account (as it should be for social safety net programs).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! First post. I haven't been reading that long but I recently read through the entire Maxwell blog after coming across it accidentally. I am totally dumbfounded and somewhat fascinated by this bizarre fundy blog phenomenon that you you guys discovered long ago.

Anyway, my daughter was born at 26 weeks. She is fine now, but yes federal SSDI made her automatically eligible for $30/month and Meidcaid. We did have to apply. It is not automatic. I have great insurance and I only owed about $800 on $300,0000 in bills for her first 6 months. Medicaid picked up that $800. She is no longer on SSDI but she still gets Medicaid- either the state hasn't noticed or a mild hearing loss is keeping her eligible. I keep it as a just in case. We are way over income but that has never been taken into account (as it should be for social safety net programs).

I'm guessing your daughter is still eligible because of her hearing loss. I would be considered a handicap, I think.

People in the Fat Acceptance Movement see Nathan Maxwell's attitude all the time. "Diabetic" is code for fat people. The only diabetics in his worldview are fat people who gorge themselves on fast food and guzzle sweet tea by the gallon. All from the comfort of their taxpayer-provided Hoverounds. If fat people would just get off their lazy butts, exercise, and eat a couple of carrots instead of a bucket of fried chicken every night, they would be cured of their diabeetus, wouldn't be straining our healthcare systems and wouldn't be costing godly taxpayers trillions of dollar every year!!!!1!!!!1!!!

There aren't enough eyerolls in the world for his attitude.

Yep Jinger Jar, see it all the time (I'm in the Fat Acceptance movement) - especially as there have been stories in the UK about a tax on soda, and lots of radio and tv pundits talking about how it'd be worth it to stop the fatties with diabeetus.

Guest Anonymous

I suspect that Nathan is one of the 'children' that Steve Maxwell has described in his corners as having an excessive appetite. One that needed the 'two animal cracker rule' to be imposed at the birthday tea. And now he has an excess of weight training/sport pages 'liked' on his FB page, and a loathing for anyone who 'doesn't manage their diabetes properly'. Ah the results of a sweet, sweet relationship with your dad. The joy having your heart kept by your parents.

Hypocrites. Like others have pointed out, one could just as easily say that they are being irresponsible by insisting on getting pregnant over and over again despite Melanie being high-risk. (I don't believe this because I think reproductive freedom needs to go both ways, but it's the logical outcome of Nathan's logic.) But of course it's all good since Jeebus wants more babies, but he totes hates fatties. :roll:

I think that he has to have a regular job to support them. Even with no house payment (I don't have one either), they probably need ot bring in at least $27,000 a year.....at least $30,000 if the have a car payment of $250 a month ( I don't know if they have a car payment). I sat down and figured it out once, but to be honest my husband and I have no debt, besides his car payment, no house payment, no cable, we live very frugally, and we are struggling bringing in around those figures (3 kids, also). Nathan has to have a job bringing in some real money, and they just aren't telling us because that shows that their crazy ways don't work.

He actually probably DOES NOT have a regular job. It's kind of hard to explain if you've never been in a cultish society like these, but there really is a sense of "support your own" and, therefore, you can fleece the flock at higher prices than you could charge in normal society.

My father has supported my mother and siblings on something that, in normal circles, would be seen as a MLM scam or a flat-out joke. But, if you sell it as a "ministry", suddenly, people aren't just buying a product,...they're buying a label. For example: anyone could take online classes for these same subjects and spend way less doing it. There are hundreds of diploma mills out there - just ready to take your money and give you a worthless degree. But, the Maxwells are doing what all of these ATI/QF/Fundy families do: they brand it as a ministry. Now, as a customer, you're "supporting a ministry" and you feel good about yourself. And, occasionally, as in my father's business, you get to write it off as a charitable expense in part- so...you don't mind paying more than you normally would (or so it seems). These people get off on supporting each other because it's more than just business to them --- it's supporting their faith. It's like tithing to make sure your faith can exists.

Families like the Duggars, the Maxwells, and the Jeubs have name recognition and just slapping their name on something in fundy circles means you can charge 10% more for it. The Maxwells sell their wares at INSANE mark-ups (really, it's a crappy book, some post its, and a mass-produced chart)....I'm not even sure if you get the post-its anymore. The sheeple don't need to pay $35 for this crap that they could make with just a little common sense and $4 at Office Depot. But, they'll happily pay for it because its faith promoting and they see it as supporting the Maxwell's personally in their mission. So, what do the Maxwell's make? At one point, Steve bragged about making six figures from their family businesses. He spoke once about setting a point for which your sons could support their own family and, if I recall correctly, that number was enough to cover paying off a house entirely and then having $30,000 a year in excess of the house number.

They do have premiums of a sort, in addition to the money you pay to other members. There is an annual fee for the service, but it does not get higher because of additional children, which makes it attractive to some QFers. You can also get the annual fee knocked down for every additional family you refer to the service. I think the most vocal proponents of SM, like the Maxwells, Philipses, and Coghlans @ LiaS, don't pay any fee because they have huge networks by which they can refer new members.

IIRC, they cap the payout at $250,000 per incident, but I'm not sure if that rule applies to everyone in every situation. They also will not pay out for any cost under $300, so preventative care is almost never covered. Preexisting conditions are excluded from being published, just like with most insurance companies. Plus, as GVC mentioned, the staff at SM decides whether or not your need is worthy of being paid for. Obviously things like abortion, birth control, STDs, cancers and chronic conditions related to poor habits like smoking, drinking, or obesity would be right out. I remember Chris Jeub writing on his blog that after his son cut his hand on a table saw and Chris was admitted to the hospital with myocarditits shortly after, they were in a scary place with their medical bills while they waited for the members of SM to send them money.

Interestingly, Samaritan Ministries never takes responsibility for any of your "love offerings" being written on bounced checks and I'm not sure if there's a safeguard for, say, a pandemic wherein their paying members are fewer than their receiving members. They make a big deal about the payments coming directly from SM member families and not being clearinghoused in any way. The only involvement Samaritan has is telling you which family to make a check out to every month. That would be scary indeed.

Selfish, and very judgemental. Sometimes people get ill over and over because, of virus's, etc., not because they are not taking "personal responsibity." :snooty:

And of course it isn't irresponsible or costly to keep having babies when you have had lots of NICU stays in the past. The hypocrisy of these people is staggering!

One of the biggest dangers in the Scamaritan mindset is the idea that everyone has way more control over their health than they actually do. They think that if they live a "godly" lifestyle, stay away from drugs, alcohol, and tobacco, eat right, work out, and leave the rest up to their god, they will be healthy. Unfortunately, that's not how health works. This is striking a particularly raw nerve with me right now because one of my best friends has a younger brother - 24 - who is dying of an extremely rare form of cancer that he could have done nothing to prevent - one with an overwhelmingly high mortality rate. Six months ago, after he had a limb amputated, he was recovering - only to find out two weeks ago that the cells had spread to his lungs. Tell me more about personal responsibility, Nathan?

The point of insurance is to be prepared for life's unexpected tragedies. Trusting god and the generosity of other broke-ass fundie families is NOT insurance.

One of the biggest dangers in the Scamaritan mindset is the idea that everyone has way more control over their health than they actually do. They think that if they live a "godly" lifestyle, stay away from drugs, alcohol, and tobacco, eat right, work out, and leave the rest up to their god, they will be healthy. Unfortunately, that's not how health works.

This. A lot of Seventh Day Adventists believe this, especially the conservative ones. I grew up believing, though not from my parents (my parents were comparatively liberal), that if one got cancer, it was their own fault, because they had done something bad like smoking, drinking alcohol, drinking caffeine, drinking excess soda, eating a high sugar diet, or eating meat.

When a classmate in high school who was a healthy vegetarian (and didn't drink/smoke) got cancer, I was shocked. Learned a lesson when she died. Sometimes, there are things in life you just can't control.

While I get nervous around regular insurance not covering something, at least there is a big focus on prevention. I got several calls from my insurance co asking me to enroll in a prenatal programs & asking if I was going to my prenatal appts. This Erika gal seems so cavalier about not taking her blessings to the doctor. While your kids are growing & developing, why wouldn't you want to take them or get coverage to help you afford the visits?

I did like this from the comments-

3. As a matter of principle, we have been very turned off by their policy of not covering health-related costs arising from "sinful" behaviors - i.e. out-of-wedlock pregnancy, drug rehab, etc. I just can't imagine Christ turning his back on helping someone in need because of their sin, and I have a hard time coming to terms with this.

Um yeah wasn't he all about not judging others & just helping? Like the original Good Samaritan did? I don't recall a point in the story about the Samaritan quizzing the person about their lifestyle before administering help.

$175 just to reformat your hard dive and reinstall Windows? Are you kidding me? I can do it in my sleep. Hell, I tell people how to do it all the time for free (I'm a tech support rep). Just last week I did this very thing for my SO when he was having problems with his laptop. I'm not trying to brag here, just pointing out that you can find free help.

If there's anybody here who needs a little computer help just PM or email me. I'll be glad to help. Again, not bragging, just offering help.

My husband is a Systems Analyst and has been doing computer stuff for a couple of decades. I can back up data, reformat the hard drive, and reinstall Windows myself and my tech skills are, um, less than advanced.

Or better yet, why not just run a good virus scan, dump all the unnecessary stuff you've accumulated over the years, and defragment the drive?

If Rosy's schedule is filled up with request, PM me and I'll send an e-mail to my husband: He can explain this shit from his hospital bed and he can't even speak right now!

$175? I guess blessed are the rip-off artists.

KB0PHL MAXWELL, CHRISTOPHER L LEAVENWORTH KS United States,Amateur Radio Callsign Search Results for Zip / Postal Code: 66048

radioreference.com/apps/ham/callsign/KB0PHL

Call Sign: KB0PDQ, Licensee ID: L00893581

Grant Date: 07/20/2004, Expiration Date: 10/04/2014

Registrant: Nathan J Maxwell, 2409 S 15th St, Leavenworth, KS 66048

Read more: city-data.com/aradio/lic-Leavenworth-Kansas.html#ixzz2LrMdtfyk.

I found this stuff when I googled "nathan maxwell leavenworth ks"

radioreference.com/apps/ham/callsign/KB0PHL

Read more: city-data.com/aradio/lic-Leavenworth-Kansas.html#ixzz2LrMdtfyk.

I found this stuff when I googled "nathan maxwell leavenworth ks"

I recall this being posted awhile back on FJ. Since the Maxwells don't do anything without a practical purpose, what do you suppose the reason each of them is a ham radio operator. Disaster prep?

This. A lot of Seventh Day Adventists believe this, especially the conservative ones. I grew up believing, though not from my parents (my parents were comparatively liberal), that if one got cancer, it was their own fault, because they had done something bad like smoking, drinking alcohol, drinking caffeine, drinking excess soda, eating a high sugar diet, or eating meat.

When a classmate in high school who was a healthy vegetarian (and didn't drink/smoke) got cancer, I was shocked. Learned a lesson when she died. Sometimes, there are things in life you just can't control.

I remember that particular Seventh Day Adventist message well. I watched a friend die from untreated, metastisized cervical cancer. She believed, until she died, that her cancer was her fault and that she hadn't followed "The Ministry of Healing" and the Uchee pines regimen as closely as she should have. Other "faithful" church members said the same thing. That was the beginning of the end in my fling with Christianity.

Archived