IGNORED

Shoshana Pearl's Wedding

debrand

Yeah, they are up a creek without a paddle. Their marriage is not legal in TN, therefore they are not each other's next of kin. That can be problematic to say the least in certain circumstances. Since they don't believe in "legal" marriages, I'm willing to bet they don't believe in wills and other legal documents.

Let's say that one of these "spouses" becomes gravely injured or critically ill, and cannot make medical or legal decisions for him/herself. They're not legally married, so the other "spouse" should have no legal right to make such decisions. Do you think that the states they live in would be heterocentrist enough to assume that, hey, they're a hetero couple who's been together for awhile--let the "spouse" make the decisions?

Just throwing it out there; I'm neither a doctor nor a lawyer.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the marriage is not legal, it doesn't matter if the "couple" are heterosexual or homosexual. A partner isn't considered next of kin by law. In the case of trauma or life-threatening medical need, the hospital doesn't need permission if the patient cannot speak for him or herself and their is no living will or medical alert bracelet/necklace. This is per my SO who works in the healthcare industry (not a doctor). Of course this could vary from state to state. Maybe some of our legal eagle can chime in on this one.

My SO's sister and her partner have wills and living wills, and a power of attorney document allowing one to make medical decisions for the other if they are not able to do so. This is how Shoshanna and James could avoid situations like that. Since they're not so keen on legal marriage, I seriously doubt they are for such legal documents.

Also unless James works for a company that offers medical benefits for domestic partners, he will not be able to add Shoshana to his policy and vice versa.

That's not an issue, I'm pretty sure the Pearls aren't insurance-believing fundies. James probably doesn't work anywhere that offers insurance either. I sure hope they never have to bring their kids to the ER or have to make an emergency next of kin decision of any kind because if they're home birthing and anti-government you can bet your sweet ass they do not believe in birth certificates.

RE health insurance. they may use something like this

http://www.chministries.org/participationlevels.aspx OR, something like my Brother in law used to have that x number of christian articipants were involved and each month, anyone who had a coverable amount due (what was coverable was defined up front) submitted their expenses and each participating family was billed for their share of the amount owing each month... sort of an insurance cooperative for Christians. Not sure how well or poorly it worked, if it was a ponzi scheme or if it worked beautifully--nor do I kow what was covered.

That's not an issue, I'm pretty sure the Pearls aren't insurance-believing fundies. James probably doesn't work anywhere that offers insurance either. I sure hope they never have to bring their kids to the ER or have to make an emergency next of kin decision of any kind because if they're home birthing and anti-government you can bet your sweet ass they do not believe in birth certificates.

James and Shoshanna own their own business, The Bulk Herb Store

bulkherbstore.com

So the probably don't have any insurance, if they're self-employed and attached to the Pearls. I bet they're into Samaritan Ministries and those other health 'insurance' scams.

• 3 weeks later...

Its actually really motherfucking cool.

Its about three quarters recipes, not chickenetti "recipes" but easy, delicious, and all FRESH healthy foods. She is not big on meat- mostly fish and some chicken- also teas, treats like rhubarb crisp, homemade crackerjack, etc. The food really does look delicious and easy to make.

The second part of the book is herbs for body care. The facials and herb tinctures look tempting. Peppered throughout are exercise and mental care tips- yes, she is even photographed in a heathen meditation pose with capri and low cut billowy blouse! Her hubby must not be big into disciplining her...

She also has only two babies in seven years of marriage...

The photography is outstanding. Shoshanna is a naturally beautiful woman, she could be a model. She is photographed in sleeveless dresses that are knee length, the defrauder! Even worse, capris and jeans! Her babies make my ovaries ache- and she looks gorgeous and happy at nine months pregnant. She doesn't glow, she radiates.

If I did not know she was a Pearl and advocate of whipping babies I would love this book- but knowing she whips those cute kids casts a sinister shadow over the book. Oh yeah, there are plenty of hubby and mommy kissing photos.

It is also the only book that touts natural herbal remedies, home birth, etc that advocates circumcision. I am NOT wanting to start a circ war here, just noting I was surprised on her stance.

I'm torn on it- I would recommend it for the healthy recipes and the photography, but not for health advice. It doesn't have any guidelines for contacting a doctor or warning signs. Its a very cheerful book- pregnancy and babymaking is fun! ( the other 18 years are not hinted at) just keep makin babies!!

Archived