IGNORED

This Is More Disturbing Than Inspiring

debrand

Add me to the list of people that cannot stand such posts. I clearly do not love God, the troops, or abused children. I am pro-cancer, autism, and a myriad of other diseases. I cannot seem to care about the animated .gif that is "walking" around the world for any number of causes. I will not play games about the color of my bra, the location of my purse, or what kind of vacation I'll be "taking" and I am at a loss to explain how people think these games will "raise awareness" about breast cancer. Who the hell is not aware of breast cancer? If someone is not aware, how does a "sooper secrit status" help spread the word?

But, that said, I have not noticed many of the guilt status being politically right, unless you want to ascribe Christianity to the right (which I don't, since I was raised around liberal Catholics.) Mostly, these status revolve around diseases, abuse, etc., or at least the ones that pop up in my FB newsfeed focus on those areas.

Of course, 98% of FreeJinger members won't like my post, but those who really care about the message of annoying status...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it terribly optimistic to think that 34% of facebook users who see that shit will repost it.

Good luck with that.

Exactly! Most of these posts claim that 90-99% won't re-post; what makes this one so special?

(Incidentally, I did a Google search for "people won't repost this" to verify that 90-99% estimate. I clearly would make for an awful fundie.)

I don't think the guy on the cross is an actual representation of Jesus anyway. They have Anglicized him. If I'm not mistaken the bible describes him as having darker skin and hair like wool. He probably looked more like Horshack from Welcome Back Kotter.

I do not re-post these ridiculous messages. I will not go to hell for not re-posting them. I don't think god gives a shit what you post on facebook. And I'm smart enough not to fall prey to guilt trips.

edited to fix riffle

Sounds like a great example of what snopes calls "glurge", sappy stories that are meant to be inspiring but often end up looking sinister instead.

Dinorah, that pretty much sums up religion: meant to be inspiring, ends up sinister.

Exactly! Most of these posts claim that 90-99% won't re-post; what makes this one so special?

The Bell curve.

Add me to the list of people that cannot stand such posts. I clearly do not love God, the troops, or abused children. I am pro-cancer, autism, and a myriad of other diseases. I cannot seem to care about the animated .gif that is "walking" around the world for any number of causes. I will not play games about the color of my bra, the location of my purse, or what kind of vacation I'll be "taking" and I am at a loss to explain how people think these games will "raise awareness" about breast cancer. Who the hell is not aware of breast cancer? If someone is not aware, how does a "sooper secrit status" help spread the word?

But, that said, I have not noticed many of the guilt status being politically right, unless you want to ascribe Christianity to the right (which I don't, since I was raised around liberal Catholics.) Mostly, these status revolve around diseases, abuse, etc., or at least the ones that pop up in my FB newsfeed focus on those areas.

Of course, 98% of FreeJinger members won't like my post, but those who really care about the message of annoying status...

Really? I perceive the ones I get to be on the "right," because I happen to know the brand of Christianity many of the "I love Jesus and you don't unless you repost this" facebook friends is conservative, so I guess I attribute them as being conservative Christians.

That, and the fact that liberal Christians would rather do something concrete than to post foreboding Jesus statuses saying that you're denying Jesus for not reposting. Then the posts are coupled with various Tea Party statuses (and often the Jesus statuses come from some sort of fb Tea Party group).

And if someone doesn't immediately like or share your post that means that they hate puppies!

I don't like or share those posts that are "share if you love Jesus/hate bullying/whatever". I often find them quite obnoxious and guilt tripping.

I'm not on facebook, but I get those all the time in email forwards. "If you do not forward this on/send it back to me, I will know who is REALLY my friend!"

I just don't even read them, honestly. I tend to delete forwards without reading them. At least, I did that before I started training people not to send them to me.

I used to joke about making my own dumb story to see how many times it would be forwarded... now I'm regretting that I never did...

I used to joke about making my own dumb story to see how many times it would be forwarded... now I'm regretting that I never did...

I did (but with it as an image, not a status). It didnt catch on, some of my friends shared it (including the friend who helped me come up with it), and one or two friends of friends and died out after about a day or two.

I don't get how anyone could pass this story on and believe that it is inspiring. So, Jesus hides behind the couch with the girl but doesn't help the mother?

That's the flaw in EVERY ONE of these type of stories, and what's really getting to me about some of the rhetoric on the "save the children!!1!!1!" adoption blogs I've been binge-reading lately.

We're supposed to be so inspired that God (or Jesus, or the Lord, or the Almighty, or, or, or) helped one person move from an utterly terrible situation to one only slightly less terrible, but (1) doesn't do a damn thing to prevent the problem on a larger scale, or (2) help any other people in the background in the same situation.

So this story from the bad country song, yeah, what, God can't help the mother? God can't prevent the father from becoming a terrible alcoholic to start with so he would never shoot anyone? God can't make sure that kids (like the one we're supposed to sympathize with in this story) don't end UP living in terrible abusive homes like this one?

On so many of the adoption blogs they take it a step further - God supposedly was watching over the victim children the whole TIME! "Keeping their hearts" and make sure they don't quiiiiiite starve, so that they are still alive when the saviour Christian parents swoop in because they were just "MEANT!" to be together, "since before the world was formed" etc etc ETC.

In which case, why not just have the victim children BORN to the supposedly fated to be together mom, and dispense with all the starvation and the the institutional handicaps and all the rest of it? Oh but that doesn't give the saviour mothers their chance to get points for obeying God by "protecting the orphan"! Or something!

...makes me want to spit.

At the very least, why couldn't God, if he is so great and supposedly carefully protecting those kids' hearts in his hands waiting for the saviour mom to show up, make the orphanage have adequate funding and good food and actual resources to love those kids? But no, and yet we're supposed to be in awe of this supposed greatness.

I've seen this before too, and it makes me sick every time. What stood out to me as I read it and the song that apparently inspired it, is the overblown, holier-than-thou sense of "saving" that we get from a lot of fundies. Think about all the adoption blogs where the new parents see themselves as the child's savior. They don't understand why little Mary won't behave when she would be living in godless squalor if they hadn't come and saved her. They don't see anything wrong with erasing or stereotyping an adopted child's heritage because it wasn't a Christian or "right" one.

Jesus wouldn't save her parents since they were godless an unchristian...so he sent the girl to a new, better family...

I realize that none of this is explicitly stated in this horrifying tale, but it's just something that seems sort of implied in much of what we snark on.

Bingo. I'm glad it's not just me seeing this!!

11 Days Before Christmas

ARGH. Yeah. How about maybe, like, preventing the shooting??? Ah but then the rest of the town wouldn't get to Learn A Very Special Lesson, in God's own carefully orchestrated Very Special Episode.

Really? I perceive the ones I get to be on the "right," because I happen to know the brand of Christianity many of the "I love Jesus and you don't unless you repost this" facebook friends is conservative, so I guess I attribute them as being conservative Christians.

That, and the fact that liberal Christians would rather do something concrete than to post foreboding Jesus statuses saying that you're denying Jesus for not reposting. Then the posts are coupled with various Tea Party statuses (and often the Jesus statuses come from some sort of fb Tea Party group).

I don't get a lot of Jesus ones, but I get zillions of "If you support our troops, you'll repost; if you don't repost THAT MEANS YOU DON'T SUPPORT OUR TROOPS AND YOU HATE AMERICA !!!eleventy!!! As if my reposting does anything to help the troops At. All. I'm friends of a lot of active-duty Air Force, and they roll their eyes at such tripe. Anyhow, these are the ones I consider most rightwing, because they are so snippy about telling you what you have to do to be patriotic.

And don't even start me on Welcome to Holland. *vomit*. Somebody once sent me that years ago. I put her on ignore on messenger after that.

I can't stand that poem about pet loss, The Rainbow Bridge. I know it gives some people comfort but it makes me feel worse than I did before reading it.

I don't think the guy on the cross is an actual representation of Jesus anyway. They have Anglicized him. If I'm not mistaken the bible describes him as having darker skin and hair like wool. He probably looked more like Horshack from Welcome Back Kotter.

Actually there are no descriptions of Jesus' appearance in the Bible. But European depictions are probably too light.

Speaking of sappy, sanctimonious, country songs - Christmas Shoes. I loathe that song. because mom is dying, but rather than, you know, spending her last few moments with her, I think I'll go buy her shoes. Jesus really cares about footwear.

And yeah, gotta love the whole Facebook forward thing. Especially the ones that start off with the "I know 66% of you won't care enough to pass this on... Well gee - that's the way to make and keep friends. Lets just start off by calling most of them cold, heartless, godless heathens! :P

Speaking of sappy, sanctimonious, country songs - Christmas Shoes. I loathe that song. because mom is dying, but rather than, you know, spending her last few moments with her, I think I'll go buy her shoes. Jesus really cares about footwear.

And yeah, gotta love the whole Facebook forward thing. Especially the ones that start off with the "I know 66% of you won't care enough to pass this on... Well gee - that's the way to make and keep friends. Lets just start off by calling most of them cold, heartless, godless heathens! :P

I don't "do" Facebook but I have to say, if I got that I might be tempted to pass it on, only with snarky commentary about why it's so full of BS!

^^ I'm with you. I refuse to sign up for Facebook other than my dummy account used to keep an eye on my offspring. The absolute garbage that people carry on about and pass on is mind boggling.

I have a long term friend from junior high (we are in our 40's now) that posts ridiculous statuses on Facebook quite often. I confess that I truly enjoy blowing up her nonsense with the actual FACTS from various reliable sources, and adding that information on to her original post in my comment! :lol:

I admit that I am seriously considering unfriending her, but if I did, I would not be able to undo some of the damage she is doing by posting utter garbage.

I just got this on facebook from an older friend. I included my comment. Hopefully, she doesn't get pissed at me

Me: God, can I ask You a question?

God: Sure

Me: Promise You won't get mad

God: I promise

Me: Why did You let so much stuff happen to me today?

God: What do u mean?

Me: Well, I woke up late

God: Yes

Me: My car took forever to start

God: Okay

Me: at lunch they made my sandwich wrong & I had to wait

God: Huummm

Me: On the way home, my phone went DEAD, just as I picked up a call

God: All right

Me: And on top of it all off, when I got home ~I just want to soak my feet in my new foot massager & relax. BUT it wouldn't work!!! Nothing went right today! Why did You do that?

God: Let me see, the death angel was at your bed this morning & I had to send one of My Angels to battle him for your life. I let you sleep through that

Me (humbled): OH

GOD: I didn't let your car start because there was a drunk driver on your route that would have hit you if you were on the road.

Me: (ashamed)

God: The first person who made your sandwich today was sick & I didn't want you to catch what they have, I knew you couldn't afford to miss work.

Me (embarrassed):Okay

God: Your phone went dead because the person that was calling was going to give false witness about what you said on that call, I didn't even let you talk to them so you would be covered.

Me (softly): I see God

God: Oh and that foot massager, it had a shortage that was going to throw out all of the power in your house tonight. I didn't think you wanted to be in the dark.

Me: I'm Sorry God

God: Don't be sorry, just learn to Trust Me.... in All things , the Good & the bad.

Me: I will trust You.

God: And don't doubt that My plan for your day is Always Better than your plan.

Me: I won't God. And let me just tell you God, Thank You for Everything today.

God: You're welcome child. It was just another day being your God and I Love looking after My Children...

REPOST if you Believe in HIM ♥

Worth posting.

My Comment: If I was Jesus I would have told the boy that there are starving people in the world, little children who are being sexually abused by trusted family members and people who are lonely and scared. The kid needs to worry about helping others and realize how lucky he is to have a foot massager, a cell phone and lunch to eat.

a few seconds ago · Like

I despise the xxxx percent will re-post ! must re-post ! i know who will re-post and who won't !!! show me you are a good person by reposting !!!!!

99.99999% of the time I'm not going to re-post even if I like the stupid meme, just because I don't like these stupid fb bullies telling me what to do.

But remember - god saw you read this...... :roll:

Story-telling can be an effective way to impress a lesson - but if the story contains a major flaw, such as that God/Jesus/Vishnu only actively helps one person while others die/are raped/become ill, then the story suddenly shifts from teaching tool to battering ram. Most glurge reposters don't even see the sinister side of what they send out, and that's scary.

Oh, and I also hate "Welcome to Holland." (Welcome to, "My Ass Takes Smarter Craps than This Shite.")

I HATE that song and have the exact same thoughts about it. Every time it comes on the radio start yelling at the radio, "Your mother is dying! What are you doing buying her shoes! And who the hell let this little boy go to the store by himself in the first place???" My husband would think I was looney, except that he does the exact same thing.

Archived