IGNORED

This Is More Disturbing Than Inspiring

debrand

Hate, hate, hate, hate Christmas Shoes (or Dead Mommy Song, as I call it.)

I hate the idea that the Mommy needs to be "Pretty" when she sees Jesus; pretty much any message that values women more if/when they are attractive by Western standards makes me rage.

Also, God sends a boy with a dying mommy to remind a random Wal-Mart shopper (because they are always at Wal-Mart in my mind, I don't think it says it in the song) what Christmas is all about?

AAARGGGGGHHHHHH

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw one today about a Muslim girl who was raped and beaten and buried alive for 40 days before someone dug her up and she was fine, but then they took her to church and she saw a painting of Jesus and said that's who was feeding her bread and water in the grave for 40 days. I was part of the 98.9999% of people who did not repost it.

Of course she was Muslim... ::sigh::

Also, God sends a boy with a dying mommy to remind a random Wal-Mart shopper (because they are always at Wal-Mart in my mind, I don't think it says it in the song) what Christmas is all about?

AAARGGGGGHHHHHH

That's one of the major flaws in just about every "glurge" story out there (thanks to Burris for reminding me of the proper term for googling around this crap), not to mention many of the annoying regular posts on fundie sites where they talk about how they feel about what happened to them this week or whatever it is.

ALWAYS, someone has to suffer so that they, in their first-world privileged lives, can Learn An Important Lesson, and that's the whole reason for those poor sad people's existence, apparently, and yet isn't it a wonderful thing, their lives aren't meaningless! because they let us have a nice reflective moment here at Wal-Mart... and people don't just find this all insulting and creepy as hell?

AAARGGGGGHHHHHH indeed!!

I managed to get into a stupid discussion about Wal-mart on FB this morning. Some libertarian nutcase (seriously, he was CEO of a startup in my field and he lost 45 million dollars because he ran the business "the libertarian" way, but couldn't make a profit. No one would even buy his company for the computer hardware!) was talking about how "libruls" hate walmart because it was efficient and drove less efficient businesses bankrupt. I ... spent way to much time writing way to much about how most of walmart's efficiency comes from externalizing costs.

When I asked him to provide a citation for his point of view... he sent me to a George Will / WaPo op-ed piece. Uh. Really?

Funny bit is, when looking for evidence for my position I found some actual proof he might have a glimmer of a right idea. But if he can't find the supporting data all by himself, who am I to help? Besides, he won't listen anyway. About 2 years before he had to shut his doors he took me out to lunch to discuss some of the issues I'd written about why I didn't think his business would be successful. I pointed out, in great detail, all of the wrong assumptions and poor business practices of his company and why, in an industry where he is selling TRUST, his company is untrustable. He listened to none of it... well, OK, he did edit his webpage to stop claiming customers that ... weren't.

*grump* I'm clearly still pissed about this.

Archived