IGNORED

This Is More Disturbing Than Inspiring

debrand

Originally, this was from facebook

Dad comes home drunk and mad, he pulls out a gun and shoots his wife and turns to the gun himself and pulls the trigger. The little girl sits behind a couch crying. The police came and took the little girl to a new family, and she went to her first Sunday school at church. She walks past the building and sees a picture of Jesus on the cross. The little girl then ask’s the teacher “How did that man get off the cross?†the Teacher replied “He never did†then the little girl argued “Yes he did. Because the night that my mommy and daddy died he sat next to me behind the couch, telling me everything was going to be alrightâ€. 66% of you won’t post this, But remember what the bible say’s “Deny me in front of your friends and i shall Deny you in front of my fatherâ€. So re-post this, remember God saw you read this

I don't get how anyone could pass this story on and believe that it is inspiring. So, Jesus hides behind the couch with the girl but doesn't help the mother?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, it is from a pretty twisted country song

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/mont ... -7270.html

Her parents never took the young girl to church

Never spoke of His name

Never read her His word

Two non-believers walking lost in this world

Took their baby with them

What a sad little girl

Her daddy drank all day and mommy did drugs

Never wanted to play

Or give kisses and hugs

She'd watch the TV and sit there on the couch

While her mom fell asleep

And her daddy went out

And the drinking and the fighting

just got worse every night

Behind their couch she'd be hiding

Oh what a sad little life

And like it always does, the bad just got worse

With every slap and every curse

Until her daddy in a drunk rage one night

Used a gun on her mom and then took his life

And some people from the city took the girl far away

To a new mom and a new dad

kisses and hugs everyday

Her first day of Sunday school the teacher walked in

And a small little girl

Stared at a picture of Him

She said I know that man up there on that cross

I don't know His name

But I know He got off

Cause He was there in my old house

and held me close to His side

As I hid there behind our couch

The night that my parents died

66% won't post this? Why not just say 66.6% because you know that's what they really meant when they post an off the wall statistic like that. I really hate the pass it on posts that try to guilt you into posting something. Grr

I despise these type of posts with the fiery power of a thousand suns. My in-laws and sometimes my dad put this crap up on Facebook a regular basis. I love the random percentages of how many won't post this crap.

I've heard that story in a million variations ever since I started using the Internet (and I think we heard it in Sunday School before that). It's sick and sanctimonious and annoying, and even as a kid I found it weird.

I despise these type of posts with the fiery power of a thousand suns. My in-laws and sometimes my dad put this crap up on Facebook a regular basis. I love the random percentages of how many won't post this crap.

Haven't you head the old quote from Abraham Lincoln. "82.4% of statistics posted on the internet are made up!" :lol: And the sad thing is when I posted that once someone really did ask me if that was a real quote from Lincoln.

Although apparently he was also a vampire slayer so stranger things could happen :mrgreen:

Darn riffles!

And 92% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Onr thing I've noticed about these vomit inducing so called stories is they all seem to get posted on US blogs and FBs. Same with the sugary sweet poems and stories that you know are made up. You almost never see this sort of thing on Brit blogs. Perhaps we're more cynical.

And don't even start me on Welcome to Holland. *vomit*. Somebody once sent me that years ago. I put her on ignore on messenger after that.

God, I hate the 'if you lub jeebus, you will repost this' crap that is all over FB.

The whole 'you will burn in hell if you do not' is a nice touch.

This is just as bad as that story being passed around about the girl walking home who doesn't get raped. Some guy is hiding, sees her with a man and doesn't bother her. He goes on to rape someone else. It is an inspiring story because the guy she is 'with' is Jesus.

But that other slut? Ya, she deserved to be raped.

I've seen this before too, and it makes me sick every time. What stood out to me as I read it and the song that apparently inspired it, is the overblown, holier-than-thou sense of "saving" that we get from a lot of fundies. Think about all the adoption blogs where the new parents see themselves as the child's savior. They don't understand why little Mary won't behave when she would be living in godless squalor if they hadn't come and saved her. They don't see anything wrong with erasing or stereotyping an adopted child's heritage because it wasn't a Christian or "right" one.

Jesus wouldn't save her parents since they were godless an unchristian...so he sent the girl to a new, better family...

I realize that none of this is explicitly stated in this horrifying tale, but it's just something that seems sort of implied in much of what we snark on.

I've noticed that the vast majorities of the "##% of people won't bother to Like or Share this [*passive-aggressive sigh*]" posts I see (and delete) on Facebook are incredibly stupid and usually far-right.

Virtually never does an intelligent post demand that one Like or Share it.

Ugh. These posts drive me crazy. Not only are the stories made up, but they always try and shove some type of religious belief down your throat.

The other ones that bug me are the ones against either child abuse or animal abuse. They show a picture of an injured child or animal, and then tell you to share if you are against abuse, or ignore if you are for it.

Right. Just because I don't feel like posting a picture of an injured child or animal on my FB wall, I'm okay with child abuse. These posts accomplish nothing except passing around a grotesque picture that no one really wants to look at.

I find it terribly optimistic to think that 34% of facebook users who see that shit will repost it.

Good luck with that.

This is going to be obnoxiously long, but it's on-topic. I think! I have a family member (a sweet person, truly) who sends emails like this fairly often. I got this one forwarded last December (Do you think the Jewish victims crowded around Jesus? At least it doesn't end with a guilt trip goading one to forward it.):

11 Days Before Christmas

Twas' 11 days before Christmas, around 9:38

when 20 beautiful children stormed through heaven's gate.

their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air.

they could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.

they were filled with such joy, they didn't know what to say.

they remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day.

"where are we?" asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.

"this is heaven." declared a small boy. "we're spending Christmas at God's house."

when what to their wondering eyes did appear,

but Jesus, their savior, the children gathered near.

He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same.

then He opened His arms and He called them by name.

and in that moment was joy, that only heaven can bring

those children all flew into the arms of their King

and as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace,

one small girl turned and looked at Jesus' face.

and as if He could read all the questions she had

He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of mom and dad."

then He looked down on earth, the world far below

He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow, and woe

then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,

"Let My power and presence re-enter this land!"

"may this country be delivered from the hands of fools"

"I'm taking back my nation. I'm taking back my schools!"

then He and the children stood up without a sound.

"come now my children, let me show you around."

excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran.

all displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.

and i heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight,

"in the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT."

Written by Cameo Smith, Mt. Wolf, PA  

Originally, this was from facebook

I don't get how anyone could pass this story on and believe that it is inspiring. So, Jesus hides behind the couch with the girl but doesn't help the mother?

That's some shitty theology on the teacher's part, too. Surely the whole point is that Jesus DID get off the cross? Um, you know, the whole resurrection thing and that?

I saw one today about a Muslim girl who was raped and beaten and buried alive for 40 days before someone dug her up and she was fine, but then they took her to church and she saw a painting of Jesus and said that's who was feeding her bread and water in the grave for 40 days. I was part of the 98.9999% of people who did not repost it.

fundiemental, the poem you quoted is way too similar to the ones that we get in the annual xmas letter from childhood friend of my husband's sister. This woman apparently has no filter about what is appropriate to share. A couple of years ago, she mentioned that her daughter got her first period. I'll bet her daughter was thrilled with that news being shared. This family is from Pennsylvania, too

I despise the xxxx percent will re-post ! must re-post ! i know who will re-post and who won't !!! show me you are a good person by reposting !!!!!

99.99999% of the time I'm not going to re-post even if I like the stupid meme, just because I don't like these stupid fb bullies telling me what to do.

I hate abhor such messages, particularly the guilt tactic. Just ugh.

Pretty sure any omnipotent power doesn't care how many people reposted some message on facebook.

23% of people repost facebook messages and pictures to prove their Christianity instead of actually helping those in need. Repost if you are one of that 23%. ;)

Sorry, it is from a pretty twisted country song

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/mont ... -7270.html

If Snopes is right, the "legend" was around long before the song, so please don't blame country music for coming up with this junk. (Just for making a crap-tastic song out of it in 15 minutes or less, I guess.)

I remember when the song was popular, and it struck me as emotionally-manipulative crap even back then. I wonder how long it will be before it hits my Facebook page and/or email? I've got family and in-laws who love to send it around.

Archived