IGNORED

Child Collectors Extraordinaire

dianapavelovna

OH MY GOD. In this whole horrific thread, I think this is the most horrific thing I've read. Now I'm imagining trying to help my child if that happened to them. I have a thing about eyes. :o :shock: :pink-shock:

My eye is fine! Actually, my mom didn't believe me when I told her I'd cut it, and made me go to bed. It was only after I woke up in the middle of the night SCREAMING in pain that she realized something might be wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jean from There's No place like Home blog is in the middle of adoption 12 and 13. 13 :shock: Where on earth does she get her energy from?

Her newest wee adoptee boy has got to be the cutest wee kiddo!

They appear to have moved out of their previous home. I hope this helps their situation. That was pretty awful :(

I like Jean and her family for the most part. The timing of their adoptions concerns me. Like I said before, I hope they stop after these two adoptions. I'm not trying to be cruel about that, but Jean and her husband aren't spring chickens.

I also felt really bad for them after that incident with their neighbors.

My eye is fine! Actually, my mom didn't believe me when I told her I'd cut it, and made me go to bed. It was only after I woke up in the middle of the night SCREAMING in pain that she realized something might be wrong.

My 3yo sister stabbed my 2yo brother in the eye with sewing sheers. Same thing - right through the cornea.

(they were trying to burst balloons very early one morning, and got creative)

Jean from There's No place like Home blog is in the middle of adoption 12 and 13. 13 :shock: Where on earth does she get her energy from?

Her newest wee adoptee boy has got to be the cutest wee kiddo!

They appear to have moved out of their previous home. I hope this helps their situation. That was pretty awful :(

Shes added so many children to the home over the past few years. How does she cope?

Shes added so many children to the home over the past few years. How does she cope?

I wonder about that too. Some of the children are special needs and it doesn't seem that she has outside help.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading Jean's blog (There's no place like home) as her husband and son travel to China to pick up the 2 newest boys. Overall I really like this family... they seem to really have it together and have the financial resources to have a lot of kids. But I had to come snark about a couple of photos on today's post... tried to cut and paste the pic but couldn't figure out how to do it. One of the 2 new adopted boys is wearing a sweatshirt that says "Class of 2000 BC" with pictures of 4 dinosaurs on it. Crazy fundie shirt, or cheap Target number where they didn't realize how far off that really is??? This family is Catholic rather than Evangelical fundie BTW.

I've been reading Jean's blog (There's no place like home) as her husband and son travel to China to pick up the 2 newest boys. Overall I really like this family... they seem to really have it together and have the financial resources to have a lot of kids. But I had to come snark about a couple of photos on today's post... tried to cut and paste the pic but couldn't figure out how to do it. One of the 2 new adopted boys is wearing a sweatshirt that says "Class of 2000 BC" with pictures of 4 dinosaurs on it. Crazy fundie shirt, or cheap Target number where they didn't realize how far off that really is??? This family is Catholic rather than Evangelical fundie BTW.

I've been following Jean's blog over the past week and I didn't notice that shirt. I'm guessing it was a cheap shirt that they might have bought in China.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Jean's newest adopted boys have arrived in Minnesota. I find it a bit odd that she hasn't made more of an effort to learn Chinese more.

Well Jean's newest adopted boys have arrived in Minnesota. I find it a bit odd that she hasn't made more of an effort to learn Chinese more.

Where in MN does she live? St. Paul Public Schools has a Mandarin Chinese immersion school. If I had a Chinese child I'd be sending them to school there. Heck, if my kids were grade school age I'd send them there. Chinese is the language of the future, IMHO.

I'm still gobsmacked that Jean has already adopted two more kids. The last set of three girls has not even been home for a year! Ben & Joey are really cute little guys, though.

I also noticed the mention of a new kiddo on Smiles and Trials. Here's Christine's post about it:

So the cat is out of the bag. We are adopting again.

Over the summer we had made the commitment to adopt another child, Little Guy, when his family contacted us. We put every effort into loving and helping him. Just when we thought things were definitely moving forward with his placement, the family changed their mind and took him back. In the blink of an eye he was gone.

It didn't make sense, and we certainly felt an absence in our home like someone was missing, but we eventually came to terms that this decision was out of our control and probably for the best. He is still with his family from what I am told, and that is good since I know that he loves them.

That was four months ago. After taking some time for our family to adjust to how things were before he came, John and I began discussing adoption again. The need is just so great.

In November John and I took part in Orphan Sunday by setting up a booth at our church. Though it did not turn out quite how we envisioned, God was still at work. Through the booth we were connected with another adoptive family, and it made us think.

Adoption has blessed our family each and every time, and if we have open arms, why not?

We decided to adopt again.

But nothing was in the works quite yet. We wanted to reconnect while celebrating our 20th anniversary, and see where God was leading.

While there, I received two emails asking if we would be interested in adopting. One was a newborn with Prader-Willi Syndrome, and the other was through a disruption. In my heart, these emails confirmed that we are headed down the right path. After some correspondence, I was grateful to find that there were other interested families, two of which really wanted to commit to the these children. Yay!

Back home, we decided on a country, and a child, and began the process. With initial costs in hand, we began the paper chase with full steam ahead.

Without revealing too many details just yet, I will say that this is a completely new adventure for us. New country, new process, new timeframe....

For now, I am putting together our fundraisers. My hope and prayer is that we raise at least 1/3 of the adoption costs which is $10,000. Julia has offered to start off the efforts by crocheting these adorable head bands and flower beanies. Available in many colors, they make a perfect gift just in time for Christmas.

Headbands are $17 each including shipping. Beanies are $20. Please email me at thereed8 at yahoo.com to place your order. Let me know if you want an adult or child size and the color.

Let me say ahead of time, thank you so much. Every donation is a huge blessing. There is a Pitch In box on the side for Paypal donations.

I sympathize with her feelings ("the need is so great," "we can do more") but I just can't get behind people adopting so many kids. They have, I think, 17 kids right now. Adoption is not just about getting kids out of bad situations, and I can't help but think that parents who adopt in such great numbers are shortchanging their adopted kids a bit by making them split their parents' attention with 10+ kids.

How can any of these kids fit in to their new country and adapt to being part of the family when they start another adoption process as soon as they bring them home.

Where in MN does she live? St. Paul Public Schools has a Mandarin Chinese immersion school. If I had a Chinese child I'd be sending them to school there. Heck, if my kids were grade school age I'd send them there. Chinese is the language of the future, IMHO.

I believe they live in a suburb of Minneapolis.

• 1 month later...

I believe they live in a suburb of Minneapolis.

Jean has no desire to perserve any of their chinese idenity. She forces the kids to change their name. It doesn't suprise me that she can be bothered to lean chinese.

I hate, hate, HATE when people change an older child's name. I don't care if it's socially acceptable to do it. Their name is still their name, and often it's the only thing a child has that truly belongs to them by the time they get to the US.

I really wish Adeye would post more about her kids and not some religious ramblings about adoption. I'm really interested in how Hasya is progressing,

I think the worst case that I have read in the GOMI thread is this : http://nelliemcfall.blogspot.fr/2012/12/overwhelm.html .

No. Just no. I feel sick for her poor daughter. Molested, refused birth control, pregnant at 14 and forced to keep the baby and gived to her parents. Oh, and in the same time, her brother have (what seems to be) schizophrenia and killed himself. No. Just no.

And here's Adeye Salem trying to guilt people into adopting... again.

http://www.nogreaterjoymom.com/2014/01/ ... -busy.html

Why oh why does she feel that people who are already scrambling to get things done have the resources to bring another child home?

Case in point: Susanna of theblessingofverity.com.

Her latest post tries to make it sound like God will somehow enable them to handle it all, but she's clearly overwhelmed and no wonder.

I think the worst case that I have read in the GOMI thread is this : http://nelliemcfall.blogspot.fr/2012/12/overwhelm.html .

No. Just no. I feel sick for her poor daughter. Molested, refused birth control, pregnant at 14 and forced to keep the baby and gived to her parents. Oh, and in the same time, her brother have (what seems to be) schizophrenia and killed himself. No. Just no.

I feel just so sorry for that poor girl :( What horrible parents to not protect her, and to make her do things that aren't in her best interests.

This is one of the saddest stories i've read :cry:

what was her old blog? there are some things i don't understand abot the story and that mightc lear them up

Archived