IGNORED

"At least the Duggars don't eat/live like Honey Boo Boo"

homeschoolmomma1

Not that I'm a fan, but sketti seems to be similar to a Japanese dish called Naporitan that is basically spaghetti with a ketchup/butter sauce, but it usually includes a few vegetables and some sort of pork. Here's the wiki- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naporitan

Not a big fan of Honey Boo Boo, but I think that they at least care for their kids more than the Duggars do, not just a product. Even the segment about sketti shows her interacting with Alana.

Yes, the butter based sketti isn't really much worse for you than pasta with heavy olive oil dressings or very creamy sauces. It still sounds gross though.

Then again, I sometimes make a Nigella Lawson pasta dish that is spaghetti with a sauce of melted butter, Vegemite and Parmesan cheese. I'm sure that sounds gross to many, but it's perfect comfort food to me.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then again, I sometimes make a Nigella Lawson pasta dish that is spaghetti with a sauce of melted butter, Vegemite and Parmesan cheese. I'm sure that sounds gross to many, but it's perfect comfort food to me.

I'm not a marmite fan, but I do love spaghetti with butter and parmesan cheese. REAL butter, not the country crock spread that they used on Honey Boo Boo.

I like ketchup, but not on my pasta, even though I don't have problems with others eating it that way.

I'm not a marmite fan, but I do love spaghetti with butter and parmesan cheese. REAL butter, not the country crock spread that they used on Honey Boo Boo.

I like ketchup, but not on my pasta, even though I don't have problems with others eating it that way.

Rice with ketchup and buttered spaghetti were total latchkey kid foods growing up!

What is with the butter and spaghetti hate? I grew up putting butter on spaghetti, I thought you were supposed to :lol:

(Ketchup is going to the realms of disgustingness, though.)

Anyway, I think Honey Boo Boo's family, for all its faults (every family has faults anyway) LOVE each other. That should be applauded. It's better than the Duggars where kids are just dropped out and then when they get older are supposed to take care of the next down the fanny slide.

They really want to say that a child performing at a beauty pageant is worse than a micropremie struggling to breathe, a child falling 12 feet and breaking his jaw, or a child getting lost in an airport, only to be laughed at by his parents? Give me a break.

It is alarming the amount of times this week I have defended the Boo Boos this week. That family has a lot of love for each other-- in all of their imperfections. They have fun together. They don't hold themselves up (wait, they don't "purpose" to be) an example for all of us. They aren't trying to be encouragement. They are just living their wacky life.

One of the sanest things I've ever read by a reality tv "star" was June saying that they are doing this now, that the public will lose interest, and that they'll move on with their lives. They aren't making a TLC lifestyle-- and I hope that doesn't change.

The Duggars are forever changed.

Not that I'm a fan, but sketti seems to be similar to a Japanese dish called Naporitan that is basically spaghetti with a ketchup/butter sauce, but it usually includes a few vegetables and some sort of pork. Here's the wiki- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naporitan

Not a big fan of Honey Boo Boo, but I think that they at least care for their kids more than the Duggars do, not just a product. Even the segment about sketti shows her interacting with Alana.

That's a common packed lunch ingredient too, made with ketchup. You can make just a bit, quick.

Variants on spaghetti in Japan run the full gamut, from very high class fancy things that take forever to make (some original Italian recipes, others Japanized - both countries have seafood appreciation, y'know?) and others quick and cheap like this. Spaghetti with fish eggs (tarako) and seaweed is a favorite too, I like it at restaurants but was surprised there's an instant mix for it now (saw it at Mitsuwa in Chicago).

Won't deny I've eaten napolitan plenty so probably would be cool with sketti (if it has the bacon in it!!) Then there's the wieners cut to look like little octopusses...

When it comes to ketchup though probably what grossed me out was ketchup on white bread sandwiches. Just... not my thing. If they got fancy maybe there'd be some bologna in it but if it's the end of the month? Just ketchup. Some people I know grew up on this and so now it's completely comfort food for them. They can keep it :)

Of course they can similarly curl their toes when I eat tuna fish on rice with tea over it all, so :)

I don't think either family are models of good parenting. There's an incredibly amount of ignorance in regards to nutrition and healthy eating. The Duggars have so many children that they openly admit that they depend heavily on the oldest daughters to raise them. Heavens forbid if their oldest children were all sons, who would end up raising the next 10 kids? Honey Boo Boo's family is more "normal" in that the mother is able to care individually for each child. However, they are hardly the paragon of family values. The mother is 32 and already has a grandchild. She had her first kid as a high schooler, four kids total with four different fathers and her oldest was actually raised by the grandmother. I don't think I'd want my children to see either families as role models.

As for the food....ok, Honey Boo Boo wins on the yuck factor with the sketti. The Duggars are not healthier with food though. I don't think the Duggar kids are skinny because of portion control (although there is probably constant battle for the tasty snacks as in all multi-sibling families). I think the Duggar kids keep their figure because they do a lot of outdoor activities.

Childhood obesity is not typically caused by poor diet alone. Children have such high metabolism that they can burn off a huge amount of calorie as long as they stay active. Many obese children eat unhealthy and have sedentary lifestyles. Honey Boo Boo's family probably don't run around outside much so they add on the pounds.

The Duggars, despite all their faults, are being good parents by having their children run around so much. It's probably one reason Josh is gaining so much weight. He's not as active now that he works in a car lot, and he has no one to fight over for snacks so he probably eats more. Both families provide a disservice to their brood by not teaching healthy eating habits to their children. Regardless of whether children are skinny or obese, unhealthy eating habits will guarantee an unhealthy weight as adults.

GVC, I eat that too :) I used to live in Japan and that is total comfort food for me. Tea over rice with salt and sometimes fish added...

Variants on spaghetti in Japan run the full gamut, from very high class fancy things that take forever to make (some original Italian recipes, others Japanized - both countries have seafood appreciation, y'know?) and others quick and cheap like this. Spaghetti with fish eggs (tarako) and seaweed is a favorite too, I like it at restaurants but was surprised there's an instant mix for it now (saw it at Mitsuwa in Chicago).

I like the Tarako mixes, but they are not high eating, lol. The Japanese market that I occasionally shop at has two different versions. (very salty, but comfort food)

Another thing I have to add when it comes to the current TLC reality show families, the only family that seems to be very in touch with most people despite the mom's "occupation" are the Caputos from Long Island Medium. Theresa knows her two kids pretty well and both of her kids are normal and in touch with most teens and 20 somethings unlike the SAHD Duggar girls. Larry Jr. is a college graduate and he played lacrosse during college. Victoria is currently attending college out of state. It baffles me that a lot of the Duggar leg humpers don't realize how stunted and weird the older Duggar kids are. Joshie boy and his wife have to say "how high" whenever Boob says "jump". They travel around with the family quite a bit. The whole "leave and cleve" thing is bullshit when it comes to Josh. I think Boob controls John David to a certain extent. The Duggars cherry picked the Christian midwife that Jill works under. Jana, Jessa, and Jinger don't even have a one year of work experience outside the home. I also don't believe the whole "happy all the time" attitudes of the Duggars.

Leg humpers can not see the passed the Duggar facade.They can't stand teh fact that Honeybooboo -gasps-acts a normal child and has melt downs with no blanket training or Tripp/Pearl/Ezzo. I would rather deal with a couple of temper tantrums than some child forced to be happy little robots. A kid can misbehave and still be a good kid. As someone mentioned,theynever show the middle boys pushing and shoving in the birthday video.

As for 4 different baby daddies, no one is perfect. Great people in the Bible faltered. David had an appetite for other men's wives. Moses got drunk. The difference between the Duggars and other reality tv families is the Duggars keep having kids in spite of the risk to Michelle and act holier-than-thou. IMO it i sno differnt than 4 baby daddies or perhaps worse.

Unlike the Duggars, June has refused offers of stuff (and a house) from TLC and is very public about putting the money from the show away for the kids when they grow up. While I'm sure she's very happy to be on the TLC gravy train but atleast she is making an effort to keep some semblance of normalcy in the kid's lives, even if we dont want that normalcy to be ours. The Duggars have been totally corrupted by the show and are addicted to fame and money. I dont get that vibe from June.

Really? I just read an article (can't remember what magazine or website it was) saying that the family is spending the money faster than they can earn it making nearly weekly trips to WalMart for new clothes, etc. No one seems to be helping them handle the money.

Well, if that's true, at least it's Walmart and not high end expensive fashions. I don't see TLC wanting to buy them a new house since the show is about ignorant rednecks, unless they are wanting to work up to a Beverly Hillbillies type of thing.

Rice with ketchup and buttered spaghetti were total latchkey kid foods growing up!

YUP! I have actually thought it might be fun to start a little blog for former and current latchkey kids to send in the weirdest things they have made, though I think someone has probably thought of this already. One of my favorites was cheese melted in the microwave (yes, by itself - I loved cheese).

I haven't seen a lot of the HoneyBooBoo thing, but from what I have seen I'd choose her parents to be my Mum and Dad over the Duggar couple, any day.

They aren't perfect by any means but there seemed a lot of genuine love and caring there and they aren't brainwashing their kids with the fear of hell.

I had heard Honey Boo Boo's mother put money in trust for her daughters... So I don't know where the blowout of the money situation comes from, probably just more propaganda to make out they are ignorant idiots...

"'I am the manager, the agent in all of this. I know what's best for my kids... that's why I chose to put money in the trust fund.

'This journey may last six months or it may last a year but I don't want ten years down the road Alana or any of the kids to be thinking, "oh my god, I have nothing to show for it". So I wanted to put it in a trust fund, split equally for all the kids.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... z2GpUn9rf0 "

They aren't as dumb as people like to make them out to be. Which in stark contrast to The ingorance of The Duggars, who I am certain Jim-Bob has NOT setup trust accounts for, and definitely could not deal themselves out in the real world!

I don't like the way its made out The Duggars come up like roses because of their GODLY!!11! Partyline, but because HBB and Co are a bit vulgar they are some idiot family burning through their daughters money?...p[lease.

Yes, both parade their families around gaining money from doing so, and I hate that in both families. However, who is showing them a REAL life? ability to live in todays society, and helping give them real values or life skills? At least the HBB family have joined a lot of charities and campaigns, wore T-shirts for gay pride days and have been supporting many anti-bullying campaigns etc... The Duggars only do things if there is a Godly investment to be made, and even then its generally for the cameras, or a fee!

So yeah, while I detest both families, if I had to choose, I would be choosing Honey Boo Boo's family any day of the year.

I remember reading on Datalounge(guilty pleasure site) about HBB wearing a gay pride shirt. I still laugh at the episode of 19kac, where Boob and some of the kids did volunteer work for that group "Voice of the Martyrs" or something. Their volunteer work was making packages of religious materials attached to little parachutes. The Duggars like playing the role of "perfect Christian family". In 20 years, I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the Duggar kids is an atheist.

On the subject of trust funds: the Duggar kids don't need trust funds. They are not allowed to go to college. They are not allowed to live on their own, or even with their siblings as roommates. The girls can't start small (or, gasp, large) businesses. The girls will go from Daddy's house to their husband's house (Or trailer. Or tent.) They boys will get set up in a Gothard/Duggar approved business through Daddy, work long enough to get a house, and then claim a wife. See...no variables in their future, no need for money.

As for the food, I happen to like Tater Tot Casserole on occasion. It's hardly gourmet food, but it is super quick and easy. I change up some of the ingredients, but it sure as hell includes all those frozen, high sodium tater tots. Although I religiously get at least 5 servings of fresh fruit and veggies in my diet every day, I am not a food snob or one who eschews every unhealthy food. I loooooooove pasta, real butter, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. That said, I would never, in a million years, eat spaghetti, margarine, and ketchup (even if it is validated by being common in another country.) However, there are probably some food combinations that I grew up with that would baffle and/or repulse other people. For instance, my family would eat Guton (maybe the Northeastern and/or Canadian FJ contingency knows what this is?) on lightly breaded toast, with ketchup.

I am naturally disinclined to judge people (including Duggars/Fundies) on what they eat. What may sound gross to me, or what I might know is unhealthy, is not for me to judge. So, sketti on, June and Alana. Sketti on.

Just don't invite me for dinner.

Ahhh, spaghetti and ketchup. Where I'm from it's called rez-ghetti since it's a staple on the very poor tables of some reserve Indians. I've been a guest at tables where dinner was spaghetti covered with packets of ketchup purloined from a fast food place. My parents could definitely afford better but still served it on occasion just because even when poverty is lifted it remains a comfort food. These days I don't do ketchup, but will happily have noodles, real butter, garlic, and grated mizithra and it's one of my favorite lazy day dinners.

I hadn't heard of tater tot casserole until I saw the Duggars serve it. I made it for myself once, but with TVP, my own mushroom sauce, plus some vegetables and I must say I really enjoyed it. Sort of like a crunchy topped shepherds pie, which is one of my favorite dishes. Even these terrible sounding dishes can be made less unhealthy yet still delicious with some modifications. I wish there was some TLC or other network crossover that showed the Duggar cooks how easy it would be to make their favorite dishes healthier and without the masses of processed ingredients. I doubt they'd go for that though, there doesn't seem to any willingness to admit that there may be better ways of doing things among those folks.

My problem with TTC is thats its mostly tots and whatever the goopy soup mess is. There was hardly any ground beef in it when they made if for their friends (samuels mom) Why not just cook the tots normally and have a side of meat? Not really healthy but better then the tots drowning in the condensed soup mess.

I really don't see "shopping for new clothes at Walmart almost every week" as blowing through their money, especially for a family that has been living week to week previously. They probably need to stock up on clothes and household basics, especially since they and their home are being filmed. It's Walmart ffs - I went to Kmart, our equivelant, last week and bought each of my boys five pairs of shirts, a few t-shirts and new (Lego batman!) underwear - it was sale time and the total was less than a hundred dollars.

They will have to do massive amounts of Walmart shopping to blow through their TLC dollars.

I'd much rather have Mama June raise a kid than the Duggars. They are not homophobic or racist. That is much more important to me than eating "sketti."

Archived