IGNORED

High school student starts modesty club

doggie

I am having flashbacks from the Glee episode with the abstinence club.

Too funny!

I am having flashbacks of "Easy A" and "Saved!" (Mandy Moore yelling, "I am FILLED with the love of Christ!" as she hurls a Bible).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
About the Author Brent and Phelecia Hatch are the parents of 7 children they were selected California Parents of the year 2001 by the American Family Coalition of So Ca. There life's experience's are what we use to raise healthy happy children

Wow. They couldn't be bothered to get a copy editor for their (or, I guess, "there") "award-winning" book? Or for the Amazon description of it?

My friend is a junior high teacher and she tells her students to do a 3T check. For girls it's "tits, tummy, and tail" and for boys "tits, tummy, and tail".

What next...turn public schools into Christian schools?

Actually many public schools have uniforms. In the city I just moved from more than half of the grade schools did and most of the middle schools. The reason had less to do with modesty and more to do with poverty. It just made it easier to have uniforms. In some of the schools the school paid for the uniforms.

I lived by a public high school, and I could not believe the way some students, mostly girls, dressed. No way would I have allowed my daughter to go to school half undressed. And my sons would not be wearing sagging jeans. My kids wore uniforms so it was never an issue.

If it's that important to her, I'm glad for her tenacity. I'm just not sure it's as important to *her* as it is to her parents/pastor/church/ etc. People pleasers can mimick pretty well.

"Vertical lines are warning signs"

Ok am I missing something here? I cannot think of a single way a vertical line would make something immodest.

Ok am I missing something here? I cannot think of a single way a vertical line would make something immodest.

arrows to the crotch??

It must have something to do with drawing the eye away from the face and towards the body. There is no real reason for this rational but it is what they say about all clothing choices.

The girl needs to spend her time learning how to look at peoples faces rather then their clothing and body.

I was thinking spaghetti-strap tank tops/bra straps. Sort of a reach, but it was in the dress codes of every secondary school I attended.

I don't understand the need for a modesty club. The girl's already said all she can, pretty much, in her creepy, little mantra.

I definitely think there should be dress codes in school though, and maybe she should just work with the administration to get a code written. I'm pretty disturbed by how sexualized kids and teenagers are becoming in their dress, and don't see any need for it, at least while they're in class.

"It's best to flirt in a knee-length skirt" :lol:

"Shoulders and boulders are graciously covered" :o

"Vertical lines are warning signs" :roll:

"Clean and neat catches eyes on the street" :hand:

If she picks out a frumper, you know it's time to dump her.

Who cares what she's wearing? You should just stop staring.

The girl needs to spend her time learning how to look at peoples faces rather then their clothing and body.

It's difficult to change the way that you see everything, on your own, when you're a young person living at home and surrounded by a specific message.

I don't really fault the child.. her parents and her church have shoved all this into her head...

Now I understand why British schools have uniforms...bloody hell, never thought I'd see the benefit in that! :o And I'm the girl who almost got suspended at 13 for piercing my lip and dyeing my hair green.

Now I understand why British schools have uniforms...bloody hell, never thought I'd see the benefit in that! :o And I'm the girl who almost got suspended at 13 for piercing my lip and dyeing my hair green.

We used to have uniform inspections on the way out of assembly. The list of sins was endless. No make-up, no polo shirts, no short skirts, no dyed hair, no heels, no trainers, only stud earrings, blazer on at all times unless permission given to remove...ugh. I left at 16 and went to do my A-levels at a college. I then went back to the school to receive a prize, proudly flaunting my pierced nose and dyed hair at the teachers knowing they couldn't tell me off!

I googled this and also the girl's brother who set up the clean language club :roll:

The brother got a barrage of hate mail and they had to go and live with relatives at one point.

So - they decide to drag another child into this and pour more fuel on the fire.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for standing up for what you believe in, but this is a bit too much like indoctrinate your kid and stick her in the line of fire.

We used to have uniform inspections on the way out of assembly. The list of sins was endless. No make-up, no polo shirts, no short skirts, no dyed hair, no heels, no trainers, only stud earrings, blazer on at all times unless permission given to remove...ugh. I left at 16 and went to do my A-levels at a college. I then went back to the school to receive a prize, proudly flaunting my pierced nose and dyed hair at the teachers knowing they couldn't tell me off!

When I went to religious school we had knicker inspections. The teacher used to lift our skirts and check we were wearing the correct underwear. In public.

I hope that is illegal nowadays.

Guest Anonymous

When I went to religious school we had knicker inspections. The teacher used to lift our skirts and check we were wearing the correct underwear. In public.

It was probably illegal then, surely! :shock:

Wow! That is INCREDIBLY creepy!

The funny thing is in the photo, she is wearing clothing that is so tight on her upper half that you can see everything. And there is a band of contrasting fabric right across the breasts! She is imposing an arbitrary standard without considering what is actually modest. Something like this would not be modest according to the Mormons, but it is more so that what Saige is wearing:

alexa_chung_white_blouse_short.jpg

But, Saige should wear what makes her comfortable, and so should her classmates. I guess that is my issue here. She wants to impose her standards on other girls, standards that not necessarily more modest but rather just more Mormon.

JFC, that's really bad! I know this must have been a few years back but can't this be reported to anyone? Even if that was the school's policy, it shouldn't be, and they probably still do it to pupils today. Our music teacher lost his job when it came to light that he had been filming girls in his lessons, and that's without any touching involved. Just filming people without their consent is an unethical violation of their privacy rights. And frankly even if what you described wasn't as pervy as fuck - which it blatantly is - nobody would know about girls' underwear if the teachers didn't make such a big fucking deal out of it! I know I'm not the first person on here to say this, but extreme religious people think WE'RE the ones who are sex obsessed?! Pot, meet kettle.

I went to school in Utah during the era of uniforms at public school. It was blue or kaki pants/skirt/short and a polo shirt. We had a choice of 5 different colors for the shirt. The skirts and shorts could not be shorter then 2 inches above the knee. The uniform regulations said that we had to wear socks. It did not say what color socks. I had a nice selection of neon toe socks. I am the reason the school put sock colors into the uniform regulations.

I know people who attended public schools that required uniforms. The uniforms were the usual polo shirts with khakis or blue jeans like a previous poster mentioned. A college friend of mine went to a public school that had the Mondays-Thursdays uniform policy, Fridays were days students could wear whatever they wanted as long as met the dress code. My cousin attended a Catholic high school that didn't require uniforms, but the dress code was a bit strict. Students couldn't wear t-shirts, they had to button down shirts or blouses. Tank tops and sleeveless shirts were banned. Saige would have probably loved that school. I don't know if the school still has the strict dress code, my cousin attended the school in the late 90s/early00s. Some private schools have done away with uniforms or very strict codes over time.

Archived