IGNORED

Nurse involved in Royal prank call commits suicide.

OkToBeTakei

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, God....WHY? She did nothing wrong or unethical, she was the victim of a hoax. :(

I'm sure there were underlying psychological problems. Suicide is not a normal reaction to something like this. It was likely the last in a string of factors.

So sad :(

Guest Anonymous

I guess the coroner will make a judgement on cause of death in due time. I don't think we can make any judgement of whether the nurse had underlying psychological problems at this time.

The radio station that made the hoax call still has the "must see prank" on its front page. While I don't doubt they need time to prepare a statement on the breaking news, you'd think they'd take that fuckery down by way of just a small mark of respect. They have closed down the presenters' twitter accounts so are evidently aware of the news.

eta riffle

I'm sure there were underlying psychological problems. Suicide is not a normal reaction to something like this. It was likely the last in a string of factors.

Very sad. It does make me wonder if maybe she faced ridicule, anger from supervisors, or even disciplinary action at work for allowing the call to go through?

This is so sad. She was the victim of a hoax, but she probably isn't allowed to give out patient info over the phone. She may have been facing a reprimand at her job, plus the judgment of family, friends, and the public. A lot of people would have a hard time dealing with that. I know I would. I hope those assholes take the page down. That's disrespectful to her.

ETA: I'm confused. Was she the one who put the call through or the one who gave out the information about Kate over the phone?

I don't think we can make any judgement of whether the nurse had underlying psychological problems at this time.

I think it's fairly safe to say that she had emotional/psychological difficulties considering that she took her own life... :(

QFT.

Guest Anonymous

I think it's fairly safe to say that she had emotional/psychological difficulties considering that she took her own life... :(

Sure, speculate away. I just personally don't think we can know anything about her prior mental health right now. Being in the glare of the worldwide media is not a normal thing to happen either. I just don't know and don't think it is possible to assume anything at this time.

Sure, speculate away. I just personally don't think we can know anything about her prior mental health right now. Being in the glare of the worldwide media is not a normal thing to happen either. I just don't know and don't think it is possible to assume anything at this time.

Yet we do know committing suicide is not a normal response to sudden notoriety and therefore I believe it's reasonable to assume she had some serious things going on unrelated to the prank call and the prank call put her over the edge.

Agreed.

It was more than just the notoriety though wasn't it...There was a question mark over whether she was going to be able to keep her job or not...and I suppose that depending on what her personal circumstances were, that could have been enough :(

Agreed.

The circumstances will no doubt come to light at some point. Just tragic no matter what they are.

Guest Anonymous

Yet we do know committing suicide is not a normal response to sudden notoriety and therefore I believe it's reasonable to assume she had some serious things going on unrelated to the prank call and the prank call put her over the edge.

I wasn't aware that there was a body of evidence on this topic, to be honest. I suppose I could be wrong. Do you have a reference for that research?

It's really sad, whatever, and I hate to think of her family having to endure all the media speculation and judgement, whatever the cause.

I wasn't aware that there was a body of evidence on this topic, to be honest. I suppose I could be wrong. Do you have a reference for that research?

It's really sad, whatever, and I hate to think of her family having to endure all the media speculation and judgement, whatever the cause.

Over 90 percent of people who die by suicide have a mental illness at the time of their death.* (I fully realize the link I provided still doesn't actually prove anything and that yes, I'm still only speculating and pulling my opinion out of my ass. Yes, I am in a pissy mood right now and mean no disrespect. I'm not trying to come off as a bitch today even though I'm sure I am.)

*suicide.org/suicide-causes.html

I really hope that the media leaves her family alone. How awful.

Regardless of her state of mind or reasons behind what she did, the fact remains that the loss of any life is a tragedy. Her pain is over and I hope she rests in peace but my thoughts now are with her family and friends. Even if this was completely unforeseen, even if they know they did everything they could, those left behind will probably never stop thinking of the "if only's" --wondering if there was just one more thing they could have said or done, one thing they may have missed that could have changed the course of events. I hope they're able to find peace.

Yet the people who pulled the prank are apparently walking away free of consequences.

I was kind of surprised yet glad to read that the palace didn't make a big deal out of the original prank.

Very sad and I feel for those left behind.

Archived