IGNORED

Devout Sikh wants to wear turban not bearskin

JesusFightClub

Guest Anonymous
It does look out of place and the ceremony/outfit is a large part of those guards. Considering the hats are so big and ridiculous (and I assume not real bear any more???) I don't see why he couldn't wear it on top. People wear stuff on top of turbans a lot. Regular military and some other companies (BA I think?) has uniform turbans though which makes sense.

I'm really torn on religious symbols (which is basically what it is) at work. On balance though I think letting him wear a matching turban is fine. But it does look different.

The MOD introduced this change. Essentially this man works for the Ministry of Defence, not the Ministry of Ceremonies. The MOD chose to introduce the change in just about the most visible place in the country. This isn't about 'letting' him, it's about displaying him. Essentially, I think it's a recruitment message and it's a very cost-effective one. It costs a lot of money to run a 30 second "Get a job. Get a Life" ad in the middle of Coronation Street or a Champions League match. Stunts like this generate a lot of free publicity.

The MOD is an equal opportunities employer. Working class people from all religious backgrounds are welcome to die as canon fodder for our country.

I was thinking it would look really out of place but then I saw the picture and, honestly, it doesn't look out of place to me. He's got exactly the same uniform as everyone else, down to something black on his head. His turban is just not quite as big and fluffy.

I think it's a brilliant recruiting tool on the part of the MOD.

I don't see why he couldn't wear it on top. People wear stuff on top of turbans a lot.

Because it's against the Sikh religion to wear any kind of hat or cap. To wear the bear hat would be a direct violation of his beliefs. The only exceptions that are made are for safety such as helmets for firefighters or in a war zone.

The MOD chose to introduce the change in just about the most visible place in the country. This isn't about 'letting' him, it's about displaying him. Essentially, I think it's a recruitment message and it's a very cost-effective one.

Totally agree, this young man's been chosen by the army to present a message about the forces as an equal ops employer. Everything I saw today up until now was 100% supportive of him. Trust the Fail to put a negative spin on it.

In the US, our armed forces have requirements for personal appearance and grooming while in unform. One of those is that since the mid-80s, a beard can only be grown/worn in uniform if it is for medical reasons, and even then it can't exceed 1/4" in length (which can be achieved with clippers rather than a razor). I think some of the branches allow a mustache as optional for some ranks (my brother's does, but he doesn't know many men who choose to wear them).

Mustaches are permitted but the standard they have to comply with (can't extend past the corner of the lips, can't be too long) means they all look sort of like Hitler's mustache. It's not a good look for a lot of people.

Archived