IGNORED

The Official Free Jinger US Election Day Thread

Alecto

Exis polls will be in shortly........I can't look. An NBC reporter just tweeted that dem and reps told her VA. looks like 08 :D. Also, turnout has been great in PA and OH indem areas.

At work I talk to people all over the country and everywhere people are reporting very heavy turnouts.

This should go a long way in negating any Republican voter suppression efforts.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ITV (independent television UK) just did a piece about volunteers in Ohio. It showed students with smartphones ready to roll for Obama. A surgeon who commented that the USA can never compete on a world platform with healthcare in the state it is, which is why he felt Obama was the correct choice. A car salesman discussing the economy with the motor industry and the govt intervention as it's focus.

THEN it moved over to the Romney volunteers. In a call centre. My 10 yr old daughter commented. Wow Mum they all look like Nana! Which they all DID! :shock: It was very heavy on the 50 plus ladies.

I never knew ITV was partisan, or whether this was actually an accurate representation of a Republican :lol:

Rats. Well, a gal can hope!

I'm from Beloit originally and was back home visiting family 2-3 weeks ago. I was very pleasantly surprised by the number of Obama + Democratic down-ballot yard signs I saw around Beloit, which historically is not that liberal. This was in contrast to Janesville where there were, predictably, many Romney/Ryan yard signs.

Also, I'm rooting here for Tammy Baldwin - may she be the next Senator from WI! My family sure hopes she will be!

I'm glad to hear that you've been seeing a lot of signs. The immediate area I live in has a lot of older white people...Obama signs are sparse over here which has freaked me out a little bit.

And Tammy Baldwin also got my vote. I'm really hoping she pulls it off. Aside from the fact that I don't agree with most of his politics, I also really feel like tommy thompson's already had his moment in this state several times over. It's time for him to retire...even some of my very conservative relatives have expressed as much.

I voted about an hour ago but didn't have to wait very long. I assume the voter turn out was pretty high as they ran out of "I Voted" stickers (I got the second-to-last one) My state in described on-and-off as a swing-state but tends to go Democrat, so I'm hoping that bodes well for a solid victory.

Just saw some early exit poll (I know I know) coverage saying Obama has Ohio, Pa and Nv but that it's very close.

Just saw some early exit poll (I know I know) coverage saying Obama has Ohio, Pa and Nv but that it's very close.

Are all three close? I expect Ohio to be close.

I will go on record right now as having cracked open a beer already. Good grief, I am going to have a nervous breakdown.

I had three answering machine messages when I got home today. The RNC, Paul Ryan and Ann Romney. Lucky me.

I hope they're correct, but I'm a little wary of exit polls. I remember 2004 being excited that Kerry seemed to be ahead in the exit polls, and you remember how that turned out.

I don't want to be negative though. Hoping for the best.

Also, I'm rooting here for Tammy Baldwin - may she be the next Senator from WI! My family sure hopes she will be!

One sure hopes so. We've had enough of Tommy Thompson. The north woods seems to be mostly Democrat, but this is a union town.

I'm not getting anyone's friend requests, so feel free to send me a PM (on here) with the link to your FB profile and I'll friend you. FB seems to dislike it when FJers try to friend me, for some reason. I think it's a Vision Forum Plot.

I had three answering machine messages when I got home today. The RNC, Paul Ryan and Ann Romney. Lucky me.

oh my. what did you do to get such BAD luck!

Voters in Vigo County picked the winner in every presidential election in the last century, going back to 1892, with just two exceptions (1908 and 1952), according to an analysis of election returns compiled by Dave Leip and his Web site, Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=95617378

Vigo has gone blue with 17% of precincts reporting.

As I'm British I can't vote, but I wait with baited breath for the outcome. Needless to say, I hope Obama wins.

Latest Projections:

Obama - Vermont (3)

Romney - Kentucky (8)

No projections for Indiana, Georgia, South Carolina and Virginia where polls are closed.

So I say this because I want to encourage the other conservatives on this board to be themselves. As a libertarian, I support a woman's right to choose, assisted suicide, marriage and gender equality, and the other major issues we fight for here on fj. I voted for Romney because I believe in his flip flopping history, he will not be a hindrance to those core issues, despite conservative krazy pressure. With a democratically controlled congress, these issues are safe. My issue is with the vast expansion of government, the economy, the deficit etc. I'm not saying this to debate, just state the very bare bones rationale that went behind it.

I know I'm not the only one here. Our strength is in our diversity of thought and experience and I encourage those long time posters with more conservative views to come back out of lurkdom.

So I say this because I want to encourage the other conservatives on this board to be themselves. As a libertarian, I support a woman's right to choose, assisted suicide, marriage and gender equality, and the other major issues we fight for here on fj. I voted for Romney because I believe in his flip flopping history, he will not be a hindrance to those core issues, despite conservative krazy pressure. With a democratically controlled congress, these issues are safe. My issue is with the vast expansion of government, the economy, the deficit etc. I'm not saying this to debate, just state the very bare bones rationale that went behind it.

I know I'm not the only one here. Our strength is in our diversity of thought and experience and I encourage those long time posters with more conservative views to come back out of lurkdom.

Thanks for posting this.

I believe this is the first time in my 32 years that my home state of SC has not been called Republican at 7:02pm. I'm so proud.

Someone here knows the answer I'm sure - why is it that some states (Kentucky, for example) have been called already with only 17% counted? Other states that have 20% counted and are close as well are being called "too close to call"

7:30 Projections

Romney - West Virginia, Indiana, Kentucky (24)

Obama - Vermont (3)

Not able to call - Ohio, Virginia, South Carolina, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia (Polls are closed)

Kentucky has been called because it's a significant lead and statistically it's almost impossible for Obama to make up that ground.

The ITV (independent television UK) just did a piece about volunteers in Ohio. It showed students with smartphones ready to roll for Obama. A surgeon who commented that the USA can never compete on a world platform with healthcare in the state it is, which is why he felt Obama was the correct choice. A car salesman discussing the economy with the motor industry and the govt intervention as it's focus.

THEN it moved over to the Romney volunteers. In a call centre. My 10 yr old daughter commented. Wow Mum they all look like Nana! Which they all DID! :shock: It was very heavy on the 50 plus ladies.

I never knew ITV was partisan, or whether this was actually an accurate representation of a Republican :lol:

Purely anecdotal, but some campaign-related interviews conducted in Ohio crossed my desk a couple of weeks ago. Mostly on the Democratic side, which seemed to reflect all ages, races, genders. Then I got the Republican material and it was like "Old white guy...old white guy...upper middle-aged white woman..." It wasn't a meaningful sample size, but I still laughed that they couldn't find a non-stereotype on the GOP side.

ETA: The interviews were Japanese news coverage, so I'm assuming it was a relatively unbiased sampling.

I think our mass-media here has been one-sided during the U.S. election, because I can't find any kind of reason why you would vote for Romney (and it seems like some of you have found reasons?). 90 % of northern Europeans are for Obama, according to a recent poll. I don't know if that's because we have only heard bad news about Romney, or if we just can't sympathize with what he stands for (not sure what he actually stands for, since he seems quite ambivalent).

Archived