IGNORED

British Health Minister wants to lower abortion limit

constantgardener

New Health Minister Jeremy Hunt has said he wants a reduction in the current law to makes abortions legal only until 12 weeks (although the government has said there are no plans for this). While the majority of abortions are carried out before 12 weeks, where does this leave the teenage girl who doesn't even realise she's pregnant until further along, or the serious medical problems that can't be detected in the fetus until after 12 weeks? The new so-called Minister for Women and Equality, Maria Miller also backed a reduction to 20 weeks. I am seriously worried about the way this government is going.

The current limit is 24 weeks.

Is that limit for choosing to have an abortion? What about abortions to save the life of the mother?

Guest Anonymous

Is that limit for choosing to have an abortion? What about abortions to save the life of the mother?

Yes, that's the limit for elective abortions.

According to NHS Choices, abortions can be performed after this time for the following reasons:

if it is necessary to save the woman's life

to prevent grave permanent injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman

if there is substantial risk that if the child were born, s/he would have physical or mental abnormalities as to be seriously handicapped

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Abortion/P ... ction.aspx

Oh bloody hell, another fanatic. And a bloody male of course. And screw Maria Miller too, for being a gender traitor. Back on the campaign trail I suppose: here we go again, more letters and lobbying.

The current limit is 24 weeks.

so this douche wants to cut the time frame in freaking half?!?!?! That's crazy! I hopw that he doesn't get it passed!

Oh bloody hell, another fanatic. And a bloody male of course. And screw Maria Miller too, for being a gender traitor. Back on the campaign trail I suppose: here we go again, more letters and lobbying.

Yeah, you know full well that Maria Miller really wants an abortion ban full stop but she's going try and wheedle it in by supporting lower and lower limits.

I thought this article was pretty good: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... intcmp=239

In France, abortion is up to 12 weeks, but if there is a medical condition there is no limit, you can have a "medical abortion" until the very last day of pregnancy. The limit of 12 weeks is only for "voluntary abortions"

David Cameron has dismissed this as not even being on the agenda but he has backed lowering limit to 20 weeks. the 24 week limit was previously considered the limit of viability by an infant delivered at this gestation but babies are surviving at 23 and 22 weeks now etc etc. 91% of abortions are performed before 13 weeks according to BBC.

Here in Ireland, abortion is still illegal.

Guest Anonymous

I saw David Cameron on the news today, saying that he'd support a 'modest reduction' to the limit. Cutting from 24 to 20 is a bigger deal than he'd like us to think. Not only is there the threat of chipping away of our rights, bit by bit, but 20 weeks tends to be when women are offered genetic screening, etc. so it fucks with women's ability to make informed decisions.

if it is necessary to save the woman's life

to prevent grave permanent injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman

if there is substantial risk that if the child were born, s/he would have physical or mental abnormalities as to be seriously handicapped

This covers most things. Especially the Mental Health aspect.

I seriously doubt this will go anywhere. Watch them drop it in about ..I guess 3 weeks. They are as predictable as they are stupid.

It wont pass. Not to 12 weeks anyway. I could see them compromising down to 20 weeks, I hope they don't though. They wont get it to 12 weeks, there would be a huge outcry if they tried to.

It wont pass. Not to 12 weeks anyway. I could see them compromising down to 20 weeks, I hope they don't though. They wont get it to 12 weeks, there would be a huge outcry if they tried to.

David Cameron's face was priceless :lol: 'Well he is entitled to his opinion of course' What he meant was WHATTHEEVERLIVINGFUCK. I give the guy a job he goes on holiday for 2 weeks then week one..drops THIS? Too funny.

Then he carefully explained that these conversations occur all the time and are voted on and every individual can vote their opinion but obviously legislation needs to go to the legislature. YES...he meant IWILLKILLHIM

THEN he says..we will obviously talk about it at the Tory party conference. He meant. IWILLKILLHIM!

Never going to happen. Not because they care. They care about votes though.

Archived