IGNORED

Happy Rosh Hashanah--U R Doin' It Rong

GeoBQn

The Fake Jews are all a flutter over Rosh Hashanah--or "Yom Teruah," as they are insisting that people call it over at Messianic Keepers At Home. After all, us silly Jews have it all wrong! This isn't REALLY the beginning of the year, that's in the spring!

Ben at Home Shalom has a big blog entry on the Sacrifice of Isaac, saying that it should totally be a Passover story since it's a precursor to the resurrection of Jesus.

homeshalom.blogspot.com/2012/09/shofar-so-good.html

Major BOOOO on the name of his groaner of a title. Also, one of his three "Jewish" sources is not.

I wonder what Tabby is going to serve for her festive meal? Perhaps she will replace the apples and honey with that recipe for mock apple pie made of Ritz crackers?

I wonder what Tabby is going to serve for her festive meal? Perhaps she will replace the apples and honey with that recipe for mock apple pie made of Ritz crackers?

:clap: :lol: :clap: :lol:

"Yom Teruah" is the term that is used in the Torah. They also object to using the name Rosh Hashanah because it means "head of the year." In the Torah it says that Nissan, the month in the spring when Passover occurs, is the "first month of the year." Therefore, they think that Jews are wrong to call Rosh Hashanah the beginning of the year. Jews don't see any discrepancy because Jewish law designates 4 different legal "new years:"

1st of Nissan (in the spring): New year for counting the years of reigns of kings in ancient Israel, ordering Jewish holidays, anniversary of the founding of the Jewish people.

1st of Elul (in the summer): New year for animal tithes (ancient Israel equivalent of April 15th)

1st of Tishrei (in the summer/fall): New year for people, animals, legal contracts, advancing the calendar year, calculating sabbatical and jubilee years, the anniversary of the day the world was created

15th of Shvat (in the winter): New year for trees

"Yom Teruah" is the term that is used in the Torah. They also object to using the name Rosh Hashanah because it means "head of the year." In the Torah it says that Nissan, the month in the spring when Passover occurs, is the "first month of the year." Therefore, they think that Jews are wrong to call Rosh Hashanah the beginning of the year. Jews don't see any discrepancy because Jewish law designates 4 different legal "new years:"

1st of Nissan (in the spring): New year for counting the years of reigns of kings in ancient Israel, ordering Jewish holidays, anniversary of the founding of the Jewish people.

1st of Elul (in the summer): New year for animal tithes (ancient Israel equivalent of April 15th)

1st of Tishrei (in the summer/fall): New year for people, animals, legal contracts, advancing the calendar year, calculating sabbatical and jubilee years, the anniversary of the day the world was created

15th of Shvat (in the winter): New year for trees

You are smart and helpful. I always thought Jewish people were cool. I went to synagogue a few times and thought it might be something I would covert to. I loved Jesus too much. It does anger me how these groups don't understand Judaism yet try to steal the high holy days, etc. They must think they have the right to.

This video was sent to be by my weird fundie facebook 'friend'

ummm it is interesting... lol http://www.passionfortruth.com/messagep ... onid=18867

Is she going to rename Yom Kippur as well? Maybe she'll come up with a new dish for then too...

*palmface*...

I find it kind of funny the idea of coming up with any dish at all for Yom Kippur :D Then again, she'll probably decide fasting is wrong because...Jesus....and claim that Jews are just doing it WRONG.

:clap: :lol: :clap: :lol:

I don't know if she has planned any speshul recipes, but she does agree that it is yom teruah and not rosh hashanah...apparently the rabbis are doin it rong too :?

Is she going to rename Yom Kippur as well? Maybe she'll come up with a new dish for then too...

*palmface*...

Perhaps Yom ha Gefilte Fish, because, ya know, Gefilte is a "Jewish" fish and these people are "real Jews."

Edited for riffle

I find it kind of funny the idea of coming up with any dish at all for Yom Kippur :D Then again, she'll probably decide fasting is wrong because...Jesus....and claim that Jews are just doing it WRONG.

We don't have to fast anymore because Jesus forgave our sins.

Guest Anonymous
This whole notion of the death and resurrection of Isaac is especially shocking to me because recently I have been listening to some outspoken “anti-missionaries†whose “ministry†is saving Jews from converting to Christianity, or even swaying "Messianics" to forsake Yeshua as Messiah. The big 3 objections are: 1) The Torah forbids human sacrifice, so how can Yeshua be considered a suitable sacrifice? 2) How can one person, no matter how righteous, die for the sins of another? 3) Where does it say that Messiah will come twice? Rather than answer those objections, I suggest those in doubt simply read the works of their own Rabbis.

I just love this! Not only does he throw out a bunch of shoddy straw men,* but he doesn't even bother attacking them. Lazy.

*I don't think these things are anyone's "big" problems with fake Judaism.

This isn't REALLY the beginning of the year, that's in the spring!

Well, that's kinda true. The Jewish year has four new years. There's Rosh Hashanah, Rosh Chodesh Nisan (which the Torah does call the first month), there's Tu B'shvat, which is new years for the trees and I can't remember the fourth.

The reason Rosh Hashanah is considered the New Year is because according to tradition (or the Bible or something) that's when creation happened. Rosh Chodesh Nisan was considered the New Year because it was when the exodus happened. So, it's like, if you were born a slave, you'd probably celebrate both the day you were born, but you'd also celebrate the day you were freed as a kind of new birthday. If I make any sense...

Not that I've read the post yet. I'm sure it says some total bullshit. But at least they're not completely pulling it out of their asses.

ETA: I should read the thread before posting. Not that I didn't think you didnt know Geo, I just wanted to clarify for people who aren't famiiar with the ins and outs of the Jewish year. But I see you already did.

I went to synagogue a few times and thought it might be something I would covert to. I loved Jesus too much.

I wish these people understood, like you obviously did, that if you love Jesus too much you can't be a Jew.

This year, my kids asked if we could celebrate Rosh Hashanah. That shocked me, I admit. We aren't religious and the three kids left at home don't believe in god. However, they are very interested in Judiasm because of the fact that a portion of their paternal grandparents' family died in the Holocaust. However, we would never, ever say that we are Jewish by any stretch of the imagination. My kids are just interested in their family heritage.

When my sister was in India, she and her family got to witness Holi(Spelling) My sister has not concluded that she is now Hindu.

What the fake Jews are doing is the same as a Jewish person celebrating Christmas and deciding that they were Christians even if they didn't believe in Christ.

This year, my kids asked if we could celebrate Rosh Hashanah. That shocked me, I admit. We aren't religious and the three kids left at home don't believe in god. However, they are very interested in Judiasm because of the fact that a portion of their paternal grandparents' family died in the Holocaust. However, we would never, ever say that we are Jewish by any stretch of the imagination. My kids are just interested in their family heritage.

When my sister was in India, she and her family got to witness Holi(Spelling) My sister has not concluded that she is now Hindu.

What the fake Jews are doing is the same as a Jewish person celebrating Christmas and deciding that they were Christians even if they didn't believe in Christ.

I think it's great that your kids are interested! Non-Jews celebrating Rosh Hashanah I'm totally fine with. What they do that's very wrong is both claiming they are Jewish, when they're not, and inventing new ways to celebrate Jewish holidays and saying they're the RIGHT way. Putting Jesus into Jewish holidays is very disrespectful of a religion that is not your own if you're claiming you're doing things the proper Jewish way. You can't be Jewish and believe in Christ as your savior/son of God/anything divine. Would your kids want to go to synagogue? It's the one time of year when even the most secular of Jews go, so it might be interesting for them. I have a shofar actually, but I don't know how to blow it, and it's way cooler to see it done by a professional.

I think it's great that your kids are interested! Non-Jews celebrating Rosh Hashanah I'm totally fine with. What they do that's very wrong is both claiming they are Jewish, when they're not, and inventing new ways to celebrate Jewish holidays and saying they're the RIGHT way. Putting Jesus into Jewish holidays is very disrespectful of a religion that is not your own if you're claiming you're doing things the proper Jewish way. You can't be Jewish and believe in Christ as your savior/son of God/anything divine. Would your kids want to go to synagogue? It's the one time of year when even the most secular of Jews go, so it might be interesting for them. I have a shofar actually, but I don't know how to blow it, and it's way cooler to see it done by a professional.

This. Although, the problem with going to synagogue on Rosh Hashanah (as opposed to any other time of the year) is that generally you have to have a ticket to attend.

Because so much of Judaism is about practice, it's a religion that very easy to embrace even if you don't believe in God.

Somehow I never knew that Rosh Hashsana was celebrating the almost-sacrificed son. I knew the story of Isaac of course but didn't know there was a holiday about it, let alone a major one. Could anyone here who grew up with that say what your emotional experience was with it? Were you ever scared that your parents would hear a voice that told them to sacrifice you? I remember wondering it as a child, and we didn't even celebrate the notion, just were told how awesome it was that Abraham listened to his schizophrenic mind and almost murdered his child, and that Isaac thought this was awesome too, but it never seemed to occur to anyone we would think it would be done to us. Did anyone here feel that way?

This. Although, the problem with going to synagogue on Rosh Hashanah (as opposed to any other time of the year) is that generally you have to have a ticket to attend.

Because so much of Judaism is about practice, it's a religion that very easy to embrace even if you don't believe in God.

Very true. The only reason I can go this year is I know someone with an extra ticket. At a reconstructionist synagogue actually which is a new experience for me. Rosh Hashanah is just the one that feels strange for me to celebrate without synagogue, because that's the majority of what you do. I'm not sure if I believe in God half that time, but I still find it very easy to practice Judaism. It's mostly a cultural thing for me now. It just disturbs me when people say you can believe Jesus died for your sins and still be Jewish.

Sort of off topic, but do Jews believe when the Messiah comes it will be in a Trinity form (3 in 1)? Father, Son, Holy Spirit

No. Jews believe God is one and indivisible. The idea of a trinity is a totally Christian thing. I never understood it really. Jews also believe the Messiah will be born of normal human parents, with normal human attributes. The idea that God can have a son is also a Christian idea. The idea of a three part God directly contradicts Jewish theology, and some would even call it idolatry. Hopefully I didn't miss anything or answered well

Just wanted to add as a Christian that the trinity is a Christian doctrine that was not even fully developed as dogma until 300 years after the death of Jesus. Nothing to do with Judaism whatsoever.

Somehow I never knew that Rosh Hashsana was celebrating the almost-sacrificed son. I knew the story of Isaac of course but didn't know there was a holiday about it, let alone a major one.

That story is read on Rosh Hashanah, as part of the service, but I don't think it's accurate to say the whole holiday is about that.

I don't remember it being a major focus of Rosh Hashanah in my upbringing.

"However, they are very interested in Judiasm because of the fact that a portion of their paternal grandparents' family died in the Holocaust. However, we would never, ever say that we are Jewish by any stretch of the imagination. My kids are just interested in their family heritage."

These are the people that "Messianic Jews," otherwise known as "evangelical Christians" are targeting.

That story is read on Rosh Hashanah, as part of the service, but I don't think it's accurate to say the whole holiday is about that.

I don't remember it being a major focus of Rosh Hashanah in my upbringing.

I don't remember it being a major focus either but I'm not sure my upbringing was typical. It was more of a focus on it being a new year and all our hopes for that where I went.

Archived