emeraldskull

1995, though I am sure there are some who prefer the 2005, or even earlier versions... Either way, I am so defrauded by Colin Firth in P&P!! :shock:

Ummm yah. Colin Firth swimming in the pond at Pemberley? And then the look on his face when he sees Elizabeth? Makes me swoon every time. I have been known to watch that scene several times in a row.

"And your family is well, I hope?"

tumblr_lfwjclZwVc1qb9feuo1_500.gif

I like both pretty equally, but in my opinion the 2005 version gets major props for a fantastic soundtrack and great shots. That movie is just beautiful to look at.

I love the 1995 version (except the bad wigs). You just can't do justice to Pride and Prejudice in a two hour movie. You had time to really connect with the characters and see how they were changing.

I love the 1995 Pride and Prejudice! One of my favorite movies ever. I also love Sense and Sensibility (the one with Emma Thompson) and Jane Eyre (almost any version). Yes I love Jane Eyre!

I love the 1995 version (except the bad wigs). You just can't do justice to Pride and Prejudice in a two hour movie. You had time to really connect with the characters and see how they were changing.

I agree. :-D I just love the depth of character you feel and how you see them grow and change (or stay the same!) over the 6ish hours of film. :-D

Plus, I really, really hate Keira Knightley. :-P

I agree. :-D I just love the depth of character you feel and how you see them grow and change (or stay the same!) over the 6ish hours of film. :-D

Plus, I really, really hate Keira Knightley. :-P

I can't stand Keira Knightley either. I like Rosamund Pike as Jane more than the actress from the 1995 version. I'd much rather watch the 1995 version though.

I would have never known how awesome P&P is if not for fundies because I have quite a few fundie (and former fundie) friends online and they were going on and on about it. I do have to say that is one of the few things we agree on.

1995 hands down.

Not a fan of the 2005 because when Lizzie refuses Darcy the first time, they kiss, I mean WTF!? She's not supposed to kinda sorta have tension with him at that point! Shes supposed to hate him "last man on earth I could EVER be prevailed apon to marry" sort of thing.

I've caught parts of the 2005 version on TV but I've never bothered to watch the entire thing. I remember being rather bothered by the movie when it first came out - When we've already got the 1995 version, what's the point? It seems like it was rather more dark and Gothic? Or that's just my impression from what little I've seen? If I want dark and Gothic, I'll watch Wuthering Heights or something.

1995, no contest! Colin Firth is the perfect Mr Darcy. I adore P&P, it's one of those films I watch whenever I'm sick or upset, I just love it :D

+1 for hating Keira Knightly as well. I just really really dislike her :?

:mrgreen: If my 95 P&P DVDs were VHS, I'd have worn them out completely by now. I tend to put them on in the background when I'm working on school work because for some reason while I find music to be horribly distracting, I can listen to movies and TV just fine.

I also can't stand Keira Knightly. Something abut her face just pisses me off.

Awww... Poor Keira! Among all this hate, my indifference to her is starting to look/feel almost like admiration!

Awww... Poor Keira! Among all this hate, my indifference to her is starting to look/feel almost like admiration!

The funny thing is, I can't actually explain WHY I dislike Keira Knightly so much. I don't think she's a very good actress, but there are tons of mediocre actor/tresses out there that don't bother me at all. It's kind of a visceral reaction. I also get it from Drew Barrymore and Michael Cera. Somehow just their presence in something irritates me to no end.

ETA: Drew Barrymore is kinda hit-or-miss, because I seem to recall rather liking Ever After..

I love the 1995 version. Elizabeth and Darcy are perfect, and the longer length allows you to really understand the growth of the characters. I didn't like the 2005 version very much when I watched it the first time, though I was kind of grumpy, so I might try it again. I remember thinking it was beautifully shot.

I remember hearing some fundies talk about how they liked the 2005 version more because the costumes were more modest, and they thought that was more realistic for the time period. I wondered then if they'd ever seen any fashion plates from the Regency era: some of those ladies seem like they'll pop out of their dresses at any moment! And women with larger busts always look more "immodest" to fundies anyway. Keira Knightley almost doesn't have the option to be immodest, in their eyes.

They lost me in the 2005 one as soon as they showed PIGS in the Bennett house. It wasn't that they were poor but that a) they had five daughters and b) everything was entailed.

How are the costumes NOT modest (other than Lydia?) in the 1995 one?

How are the costumes NOT modest (other than Lydia?) in the 1995 one?

They show more than 2 fingers worth of skin below the neckbone. :-P

1995 or nothing! I actually fell asleep twice in the theater during the 2005 film. My TSU was enraptured by it, but I just found it dreadful. The pigs and the conversations under the table ... then when she repeats "Mrs. Darcy" eleventy times at the end, barf.

There's another one that's so bad it's good, made around 1940 with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier. It follows the book in so far as it has characters with the same names and generally the same plot (boy meets girl, boy likes girl but doesn't tell her, girl likes boy but doesn't tell her, they tell each other and marry). Other than that, it's a fine mess and worth watching just for the "They said what?!" experience(s).

Also: I think Charlotte and Collins are exceptionally well played in 1995. Sadly that actress hasn't done a whole lot since then. The actor is incredibly talented. He lost dozens of pounds and played Hitler and was frightening in his credibility! That's a good actor, JMHO.

1995, with one exception. I really can't stand the Lady Katherine in that version. I adore Judy Dench, and I really think she nailed the part in the 2005 version.

Archived