IGNORED

Did the Maxwells delete a blog post?

Eclipse

Earlier I read a post on the Maxwells' blog about an old lady that they had come to know at the nursing home who wasn't very welcoming of their indoctrination but had attended a few services and had accepted a Bible. A couple of the children visited her in the hospital and held her hand. However she didn't accepted their message and she went to a different nursing home upon release. The lady had died and the author (I think it was Sarah) was discussing how this lady was going to hell unless she had cast off the shackles of her false religion.

Now I can't find the post. Did anyone else see it?

Yes, I saw it. Gave the impression that the lady was Catholic and therefore not going to heaven, which pissed me right off being Catholic myself.

They definitely delete blog posts, or edit the posts, after the original airing. There was one on how they do a seder meal even though they aren't Jewish which disappeared and a bit ago there was another post referencing a Catholic church where Sara talked about how it was so sad for the people attending this church as they didn't read the gospels and didn't know God.

I love reading the Maxwells blog, but I don't get their Catholic hate. I really want to ask them if they've even been to a Catholic mass (where two old testament readings and one new testament reading, as well as songs based on Provers and Psalms are read/sung at EVERY SINGLE MASS) or have studied Catholicism. Ugh.

Yes, I saw it. Gave the impression that the lady was Catholic and therefore not going to heaven, which pissed me right off being Catholic myself.

They definitely delete blog posts, or edit the posts, after the original airing. There was one on how they do a seder meal even though they aren't Jewish which disappeared and a bit ago there was another post referencing a Catholic church where Sara talked about how it was so sad for the people attending this church as they didn't read the gospels and didn't know God.

I love reading the Maxwells blog, but I don't get their Catholic hate. I really want to ask them if they've even been to a Catholic mass (where two old testament readings and one new testament reading, as well as songs based on Provers and Psalms are read/sung at EVERY SINGLE MASS) or have studied Catholicism. Ugh.

Um, Catholics don't get their religious views from Steve Maxwell who has a direct phone line to Jesus himself, so they clearly are going to hell. (I of course, am being sarcastic, but that seems like it's pretty much what the Maxwells believe).

That is definitely it, Munasa.

A Second Chance

Wednesday, June 10th, 2009

My heart was burdened today as I read the brief obituary of a lady who had been at the nursing home for a little while. It was probably about a year ago she was there, recovering, and I enjoyed interacting with her. There were opportunities I took to share the Lord Jesus with her. She softened as the weeks went by (even being interested in/accepting a Bible!), but I don’t think she came to church (if she did, it would have only been a time or so), and she stayed firm in her false religion. Christopher and I visited her in ICU when she had a septic infection. Oh, it was sad. A woman who desperately needed Jesus, but who wouldn’t give her life to Him, and she was sad and despondent. I think she allowed us to pray with her, although I’m not positive on that. After her hospital stay, she must have gone to another care place or home.

The Lord gave her a second chance to accept Him. Now, she has slipped into Eternity. From all I knew of her, it is a hopeless Eternity without the Lord Jesus. Yet, could it be that maybe, just maybe, in her last days, she repented and turned to Jesus. I’ll never know until Heaven.

Ministering at the nursing home gives us opportunities to share Jesus. It may be the last time they hear about Jesus, but the Lord is giving them another chance.

Sarah

Gee, Sarah, I really hope she converted to the One True Religion -- The Gospel According to Steve. I wonder why the woman would have possibly asked to go to a different care home?

I really think that should be illegal! I hope the woman was able to tell them to back the fuck off without any repercussions. If I was living in a center and someone kept haranguing me about converting to their cult, I'd get violent.

How did Sarah find/read her obituary? I thought the Maxwells didn't read newspapers? They lost contact when the lady moved, so Sarah would have no way of knowing when she died. You can find obituaries on line, but you generally have to have a name to search. It would be a little freaky to keep searching for someone's name with whom you've no contact.

I hope the Maxwells realize that the Catholic church was the very first church. Peter was the first leader. All other churched broke away.

I volunteered in a nursing home for 4 years, and absolutely loved it.

It's unacceptable that Sarah was allowed to harass that poor woman, especially in the condition she was in.

Sarah is one sanctimonious woman hiding under her little cloak of I love Jesus. How arrogant. Catholic = false religion. Glad your Daddy-o has a direct line to Jesus to get that confirmation. How delusional.

Sarah is one sanctimonious woman hiding under her little cloak of I love Jesus. How arrogant. Catholic = false religion. Glad your Daddy-o has a direct line to Jesus to get that confirmation. How delusional.

Doesn't the audacity just blow you away? Who the hell does she think she is?

A good portion of my CNA training was centered around long term care (nursing homes), since most CNA's are employed either in facilities or as home-care aides. We had a chapter in our main textbook about religion and religious tolerance, and staff (RN's, CNA's, housekeeping, any staff) are never ever ever supposed to even bring up the subject of religion with residents. If the resident brings it up and you are comfortable with the subject matter, you can discuss it if you want to, but you are never supposed to disagree with or disparage a residents' religion. If they were passing out bibles as a part of the church service that's one thing, but this makes me sick. They should be kicked out of the nursing home if in fact they are telling residents that their brand of religion is not the "correct" one or if they are shoving bibles into the hands of people who don't want them.

A good portion of my CNA training was centered around long term care (nursing homes), since most CNA's are employed either in facilities or as home-care aides. We had a chapter in our main textbook about religion and religious tolerance, and staff (RN's, CNA's, housekeeping, any staff) are never ever ever supposed to even bring up the subject of religion with residents. If the resident brings it up and you are comfortable with the subject matter, you can discuss it if you want to, but you are never supposed to disagree with or disparage a residents' religion. If they were passing out bibles as a part of the church service that's one thing, but this makes me sick. They should be kicked out of the nursing home if in fact they are telling residents that their brand of religion is not the "correct" one or if they are shoving bibles into the hands of people who don't want them.

What do they do when a Catholic resident of their nursing home church is ill and receiving the Last Rite from a Priest. Do they hover outside the room and pray loudly? Harass the priest? Give him tracts?! Or ask him where he is going to spend eternity?!

Insane.

What they seem to forget is that the nursing home is exactly that, a home. These people live there, and the should be comfortable there. It is NOT the Maxwell's church.

What they seem to forget is that the nursing home is exactly that, a home. These people live there, and the should be comfortable there. It is NOT the Maxwell's church.

AMEN x 100000!!!!

See, this makes me really freaking angry.

Older people don't need idiots coming to their home to 'save' them. They need support and love and comfort.

This woman was at the nursing home where the Maxwells peddle their death god to recover - she wasn't a resident. And they harped on her.

My grandmother spent six weeks in a nursing home recovering from hip surgery. She lived alone in a second floor apartment and just needed more care than our family could provide. And, insurance paid for PT if she was in a 'care facility' but not if she was being cared for at home. (Insurance sucks, yeah, we all know that). Anyway, in the six weeks my grandma was in that facility she grew cranky and angry and bitter - she didn't want to be with all those 'old people' - as she called them. She was resentful at being there. Anyway. Had Sarah shined around and tried to save my grandma I soooo would have loved to have seen it. Sarah's perfect god may have had to intervene on her behalf because if you are arrogant enough to attempt to 'tell' an angry, bitter 70-something year old living where she doesn't want to be anything she doesn't want to hear - you deserve everything you get.

I agree that it should be illegal. What the hell gives them the right to force their death obsessed religion down the throats of older people? It is not at all Christian like to take advantage of people who's defenses are compromised; people who may not have the ability to articulate & verbalize disagreement; people who don't have the ability to get out of the building when the Maxwells show up.

They are nasty, nasty people and I have more contempt for them every time they open their ugly little mouths.

Doesn't the audacity just blow you away? Who the hell does she think she is?
The closing really says it all - "I'll never know until Heaven."

So Sarah just assumes SHE will go to heaven.

As for religion at the last moments, I might not believe any of it but I do believe that the compassionate thing to do is give someone comfort compatible with their own beliefs. There is a time for intellectual debate and confrontation but next to a sickbed is not that place.

Fundies believe that you are not a true believer unless you KNOW where you are going, right?

dh is Catholic and believes in the whole Heaven/Hell thing, but he was taught that it is vanity to claim to know where you or anyone else is going. God makes those decisions, not man.

I don't know what happens after we die. My religion does not have specific beliefs about that. The emphasis is on what you do while living.

When a family member, an ordained Baptist minister and a professor of philosophy and religion, was dying of brain cancer, his sister and her husband spent their last visit with him trying to "save" him because they didn't think he was Christian enough. Yeah, they were fanatics. My family member's wife never forgave them and I don't blame her one iota.

What makes you think she was Catholic? I just see "her false religion". That could be anything--Buddhist, Quaker, Unitarian, Jewish, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if it were Catholic, but I don't see that in the quote above.

I agree it could be anything. But I wouldn't be surprised it this woman were a Catholic. We all know how fundies feel about Catholics. I feel sorry for these older people. They're being preyed on in a venurable moment.

I wonder if the nursing home employees have ever caught onto to some of the stuff the Maxwells are doing and I do question if that nursing home has certain policies regarding religious services. I think Maxwells probably have a certain attitude at the nursing home and sometimes people can catch onto when attitudes aren't always well-intended. I know several people who have or currently work in nursing homes and most of the facilities had policies that if residents said that they didn't want to attend services or receive Bibles or certain forms of literature, the people conducting or assisting in the services or visits had to immediately leave them alone.

The emphasis is on what you do while living.

THIS!!! I have pondered the afterlife myself, but I don't understand why people have such an obsession with it! Make the best life you can while you are here on this plane. I refuse to spend 80 or so years scared to death I'm going to hell for doing/not doing this or that.

Thanks for finding the post Munasa. I thought it was a recent one and didn't see it anymore. Maybe I hit a link without realizing it.

It seems the Maxwells don't really believe in a forgiving God, probably why they don't view Catholics and I assuming mainstream Protestants as Christians.

Thanks for finding the post Munasa. I thought it was a recent one and didn't see it anymore. Maybe I hit a link without realizing it.

It seems the Maxwells don't really believe in a forgiving God, probably why they don't view Catholics and I assuming mainstream Protestants as Christians.

I actually found it by accident - I was browsing the archives, looking at June each year, et voila! I noticed the post and remembered your post here so I came back to let you know where it was.

In my fundie-lite days, we all believed Catholics were not real Christians. I had Catholic friends (luckily, and unusually, I had a few non-fundie friends) and I used to sneak off to mass with them, feeling a bit like a traitor but wanting so much to show my friends I was a true friend.

(Now I'm a full on non-believer and I probably would choose to show true friendship in other ways.)

Back to the Ms. The kids have no way of knowing or understanding anything outside of the box their parents have them locked in. I think Sarah and Christopher overstepped the mark with this poor old lady, but they were only doing what their parents had taught them to do. I also think Sarah is exploiting their time with this women by using it to affirm herself as a preacher of the gospel. Again, this is the kind of action/words that her upbringing exalts. Maybe, like me, the Maxwell kids are all seeking dad's approval, so they toe the party line. (I never did tell my Dad that I voted for the other political party. :) )

Archived