IGNORED

Did the Maxwells delete a blog post?

Eclipse

In my fundie-lite days, we all believed Catholics were not real Christians. I had Catholic friends (luckily, and unusually, I had a few non-fundie friends) and I used to sneak off to mass with them, feeling a bit like a traitor but wanting so much to show my friends I was a true friend.

Growing up in and out of hospitals, most of which were Catholic, I never once thought that the nuns and preists weren't Christians. Well I never thought about it at all as I assumed everyone knew Jesus and loved Him, I was a kid and that is all I knew. I also never once felt that the nuns or preists thought of me as a heathen child because I protestant, they comforted all the children the same and gave the same hugs, kisses and bedtime rock-a-byes and stories to everyone. Never once was I told I had to become Catholic or pray Catholic, but they did have me pray the child's prayer that most children do know by heart. Now I lay me down to sleep.... I feel the nuns and preists showed more of the true meaning of Christ's words than the Maxwells ever can.

Slightly OT but continuing that thread: The Catholic/Christian thing doesn't necessarily come from prejudice, either - kids get confused. I went to a Catholic school and remember one of the non-Catholic kids explaining, "See, you're Catholic, but I'm Christian", and then we went through the differences and came up with the fact that the priests stood differently during Eucharist, or something (because we were not, in fact, hip to the jive on our respective church's doctrines). Another kid said that Christians were a type of Catholics. It wasn't from anti-Catholic sentiment (though I'm not denying it did exist a generation or two ago), just confused kids trying to sort out their labels.

Archived