IGNORED

Maxwell Vacation 2012

Justme

Sarah's big paragraph:

"The hike up to the lake went well, with the little girls even walking for a bit. At the lower lake, the family broke into several groups. From there, some (of the immediate Maxwell family) decided to go up to the top of a nearby mountain, which we later found out is Mt. Jones, at 13,200′. John and Anna had been back helping some of the “little-uns†with the other group, and they were going to catch up with us, but that wasn’t going to work. They couldn’t continue, due to the fact that they didn’t have any water, and that would be a very necessary key ingredient in such a steep, strenuous climb. They didn’t have water because John had carried Abby earlier and Anna Christina, and then when they had left the younger Maxwells, they didn’t want to take water from that group, thinking they would be able to catch the rest of us. So, they went to a pretty overlook, and waited for us."

I work with a primary school with 10 and 11 year olds, and this is the kind of writing the teacher and I hold up as a bad example to the majority. Boring, slow paced, stupid detail, missed out anything remotely exciting....

We took a school trip in the summer and of course when they come back they write about it. This just reminded me so much of some of the lower ability writers in the class, who would write "We went to the castle and we got on the coach. I sat next to Sam. I had a sandwich in my lunchbox. We all went into the castle and stayed in a straight line. I bought a pen from the gift shop and got back on the coach."

And thank you Sarah, most of us have the brains to realise water is a necessity for hiking! Glad to see Stevey was the only one in appropriate clothing and fully equipped for hike. Maybe the Lord laid it on his heart that the rest of the family would be fine.

Due you think John and Anna deliberately took the little ones to skip the hike and discuss potential future escape? Johns the rebel who had to have his spirit crushed isn't he?

ETA because hike doesn't have to Ks

I think Sarah's poor writing (and the poor writing all the other Maxwell offspring) is a direct result of the fact that the she reads nothing other than her KJV and books on html. Anytime one of the Maxwell kids writes post it is just painful to read. Even if it isn't riddled with as many spelling and grammatical errors as some other fundies, the sentence structure is horrible. There is no cohesion within a paragraph. Like the OP said it really does read like a 3rd-graders "what I did on my summer vacation" report. The previews I've read of the Moody books are the same way. If Sarah wants to be a good children's book author she needs to read some well written children's books. But oh no, the Maxwells know everything as the Lord just lays it on their hearts, no need to learn from anyone else.

PS: I think the moral of Sarah's story was, "we were dumb-assess and didn't bring enough water."

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, scroll down their blog to the Broken Hearts post - after the announcement of the courtship failure : The comment section has been completely removed! you can't see them or post! A few too many home-truths come your way Steve?

Methinks it was too many song lyrics. :music-listening:

Also, scroll down their blog to the Broken Hearts post - after the announcement of the courtship failure : The comment section has been completely removed! you can't see them or post! A few too many home-truths come your way Steve?

Had to go look and yep, comments are gone. Bet Steve removed it due to the lyric-bombing discussed on the end of engagement thread.

deborahlynn1979

Frumper Lover

Post Re: Maxwells have arrived at their cabin (new post).

"The immediate family"....WTF does THAT mean? Aren't they ALL part of the immediate family??

I believe Steve has commented before that once the children marry they are their own family. So once you are married you would no longer be in the "immediate" family. This seems to me to be reason enough to get married.

How do I make the topic I am replying to show up in the little box at the top of my post? I cant figure it out. Perhaps I should take an ITonRamp class.

That landscape is beautiful! Does anyone know what area of CO they are in?

They are in central CO, the Buena Vista/Cottonwood Pass/Mt Princeton area. So beautiful, one of my favorite places (I live in CO)

Guest Anonymous

How do I make the topic I am replying to show up in the little box at the top of my post? I cant figure it out. Perhaps I should take an ITonRamp class.

First let us pray, Brittany.

Dear Lord Jesus, thank you for bringing Brittany to know you and to seek out an IT training free from secular worldy influences. Please bless her heart as she donates $1000 to the FJ Ministry to fund her education. Amen.

OK, now hit the "quote" button in the top right hand corner of the post you want to quote.

Got that? Good, that'll be $1000 please. :D

They are in central CO, the Buena Vista/Cottonwood Pass/Mt Princeton area. So beautiful, one of my favorite places (I live in CO)

It really does look stunning.

This holiday totally reminds me of my recent holiday with my family. All 14 of us. I also love my brother and sisters (for about 3 days then we bugged the shit out of each other) My brother is also very encouraging...he was 100% behind my efforts to neck my Grappa in one.

Dear Lord Jesus, thank you for bringing Brittany to know you and to seek out an IT training free from secular worldy influences. Please bless her heart as she donates $1000 to the FJ Ministry to fund her education. Amen.

OK, now hit the "quote" button in the top right hand corner of the post you want to quote.

Thanks! Unfortunately I can not afford that price as I moved out of my parents house when I was 18...Oh the horror!

Pretty much the norm here behind the green curtain. I will confess wearing socks with Tevas and back in the day wearing them with Birks as well.

Yep, the norm here, too. And I wear socks with my Crocs, too.

:bow-yellow: :bow-yellow: :bow-yellow:

Had to go look and yep, comments are gone. Bet Steve removed it due to the lyric-bombing discussed on the end of engagement thread.

I can still see 111 comments under the Broken Hearts post. I only went to the first page, but assume all 111 are there.

That's one gorgeous area of Colorado and fondly remembered from past trips. You are lucky to live so much closer! I live in IL.

I can still see 111 comments under the Broken Hearts post. I only went to the first page, but assume all 111 are there.

Yep, you are right. I checked again but this time clicked on blog post and then saw the 111 comments. I only looked on the main page before.

Great! I want read those lyrics!! :D

That's one gorgeous area of Colorado and fondly remembered from past trips. You are lucky to live so much closer! I live in IL.

Ha! Another Illinois resident who has camped near there, here! I'll back up those recommendations too - really is a beautiful area.

Boy, if I didn't know better, I'd swear Sarah was drunk when she wrote her last post. Her sentances are long and hard to understand. :roll:

I got bored with her explanation of which sibling brought which "young-un", and why they didn't have water yada yada yada, and just gave up.

I hope her Moody books are easier to follow.

And we know you love your brothers and sisters, Sarah, but you can have your own family and still be their sister, honest.

I may not have found the exact reference I'm looking for, but I recently read some about some discoveries about the instincts of the newborn. Dr Christina Smillie writes in "How Infants Learn to Feed: A Neurobehavioral Model" in Supporting Sucking Skills in Breastfeeding Infants by Catherine Watson Genna, IBCLC that "When moved to a supine position, a baby will often flail and behave uncomfortably, like an upside-down turtle. On our clinical experience, the infant calms and relaxes when cuddled upright between his mother's breasts. The ventral position, like the prone position, stabilizes the infant's vestibular system, while the midline ventral position provides a stabilizing symmetric posture, minimizing intrusive postural reflexes." This isn't to minimize the "Back-to-Sleep" campaign, but it's not the best for all babies. For naps, most babies should be placed on their backs, but in the early weeks, they might prefer being snuggled against mother's body. (Can provide Dr Smilie's citations.)

I don't see what the big deal is about the baby sleeping on a blanket on the floor. It's safe if the floor is clean and the baby's not crawling. The baby can't fall out of the floor!

It was nice to see one of the Maxwell boys carrying their offspring in a front pack.

ITA that there are plenty of babies who do better on their tummies to sleep. When I did my resp. therapist rotation in the NICU back in the day, I learned that most of those babies are placed on their tummies because they actually do better versus on their backs. Of course, they had pulse ox monitors so there was essentially no risk of SIDS ;) My daughter was one of those babies who liked to sleep on her tummy. As soon as she learned to roll herself over, she always slept on her tummy even if I laid her on her back. The statistics say that if they can turn themselves on their tummy, they are at a very low risk of SIDS. I think the reason I'm so adamant about "Back to Sleep" is just the marked drop in SIDS since it started. Since babies don't come with a tag saying they are prone to SIDS or not, I still think all babies should be on their back, save the ones with reflux, etc.

I don't think sleeping on the floor was a big deal; it was how he was barricaded in the corner. I think the fact that he can't crawl around yet made me realize that wasn't a big deal after all :oops:

Has anyone remarked on the posture of the young women? I was noticing that Chris' wife had terrible posture and wore extra frumpy stuff, but then saw a side shot and apparently she has boobs. Can't have those showing! That got me noticing all their postures, and the guys stand straight and tall, while all the women seem to intentionally roll their shoulders in, sort of collapsing on themselves. So indicative of state of mind. Some people have naturally poor posture, but with them it just seems intentional.

After a previous post where Sarah mentioned that Christopher stayed home with the baby so NR Anna could get out and do some shopping with the maxwell sisters, I was pleasantly surprised. And now he his here carrying the baby up the mountain in a wrap and looking like a really involved, supportive Dad. And in that one picture of the three of them- where they have the hats on, NR Anna looks very happy- like the smile actually extended to her eyes! Christopher looks happy, too- not the fake smile happy, but genuinely happy. I'm so glad that they have been able to carve out a little tiny bit of the own life away from the "immediate family Maxwells." (wtf was that crap?)

And in conclusion- there is one picture of John in there that was totally defrauding!! Actually, or the first time, I thought all three reversal boys looked pretty darn good- not quite up the defrauding status of John- but still good! Oh, wait!! Did you all see Anna, or maybe it was Mary, in the green/yellow tank/halter top?? Sure, there was a white tee under it, but that's the first time I've ever seen a girl where something like that!

Ah big Steve leading the way up the trail. Hiking with the Maxwells wouldn't be my idea of fun. And the terminus an ice cold lake. I know any number of hippy hikers who would strip down and celebrate the accomplishment with a run into the icy waters.

Oh Maxwells here's a hint for next years trip to REI, buy a couple of Katadyn or other high quality bottle purifiers.

I believe Steve has commented before that once the children marry they are their own family. So once you are married you would no longer be in the "immediate" family. This seems to me to be reason enough to get married.

Immediately. :D

Oh, wait!! Did you all see Anna, or maybe it was Mary, in the green/yellow tank/halter top?? Sure, there was a white tee under it, but that's the first time I've ever seen a girl where something like that!

I think the shirt is just a sleeveless collared pullover, not a halter. I think the arm holes make it look like a halter because she had probably just taken off a backpack and the "sleeves" were bunched up. I don't think there is a chance in hell there would ever be anything remotely like a halter allowed in that household.

After a previous post where Sarah mentioned that Christopher stayed home with the baby so NR Anna could get out and do some shopping with the maxwell sisters, I was pleasantly surprised. And now he his here carrying the baby up the mountain in a wrap and looking like a really involved, supportive Dad. And in that one picture of the three of them- where they have the hats on, NR Anna looks very happy- like the smile actually extended to her eyes! Christopher looks happy, too- not the fake smile happy, but genuinely happy. I'm so glad that they have been able to carve out a little tiny bit of the own life away from the "immediate family Maxwells." (wtf was that crap?)

And in conclusion- there is one picture of John in there that was totally defrauding!! Actually, or the first time, I thought all three reversal boys looked pretty darn good- not quite up the defrauding status of John- but still good! Oh, wait!! Did you all see Anna, or maybe it was Mary, in the green/yellow tank/halter top?? Sure, there was a white tee under it, but that's the first time I've ever seen a girl where something like that!

I agree, Christopher and NR Anna look very happy.

Archived