IGNORED

Maxwell Vacation 2012

Justme

I agree with all of your reasons, gardenvarietycitizen. And do you notice the Maxwells vacations (Sarah doesn't even like calling them that) are filled with work? No hanging out at a hotel, or even relaxing at this cabin.

No, it's all plan, pack, assign chores, unpack, personal bible time, hike, make dinner, family bible time. The view is nicer, but it really isn't much different than home from what I can see. Why, it's almost as if Steve is afraid of what might cross the "children's" minds if they have a little time to think.

Keeping routine is very important in the cult. No one is surprised by a break in the routine. At home they'd be working on Joe's house between food prep and bible study, now they hike. I also suspect that Steve dictates what the women are to wear on specific hikes, that they have no real choice between the few denim and overpriced hiking skirts they have available.

I did notice that the big hike prep and hike coverage mentioned their camels several times. I suspect that was in response for our concerns about hydration and elevation.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If only Sarah knew how off-season (or on-season!) river guides spend their time.... I'm guessing his sleeping bag was not empty nor was he wearing knickers.

Mmm.... riverguides.

When I stop to think about it, I realize that the Maxwells never go to cities. They always choose outdoorsy locations, never e.g. Chicago, NY, Boston, Washington DC.

Is this by design? Maybe too worldly for everyone?

Well personally I much prefer to go on holiday to a scenic location. A city break is no holiday to me as I get stressed to hell in that sort of thing. Give me mountains any day.

But, there seems absolutely no R&R on the Maxwell trips. It's all, get there, get unpacked, get ready, climb a mountain. I'd be absolutely bollocksed if I had to follow that schedule coupled with the 5am daily wake up calls. I do walking in the countryside when on holiday, but I also have relaxing days too. We often go to Wales, to Snowdonia and I have climbed it a few times, but there is no way I'd be doing it every single day of the holiday. Some days you just need to veg out.

What kills me about Sarah's writing in this post is that you can tell she is trying to make her writing good. She is trying to use different adverbs and add what she feels are interesting words. However, as we all know her writing is still at a very low level. I do; however, feel that with a proper education and an abundance of reading materials she could actually turn into a fine writer. What I find upsetting is that she wants to be a good writer and I imagine she tries very hard to be one. Unfortunately she is being denied the simple tools she needs (books and perhaps a few writing classes) to improve her writing.

I think Steve's head would explode if he ever went to NY or SF. Sodom and Gomorrah. It's much easier to maintain his controlled environment is smaller towns. I think they've been NEAR NYC (if they're ever within a 2-hour drive, I'd have to go) but still far enough away for safety.

Actually, a couple years ago, they did drive through the Bronx on I95 while on there "tour". I remember Sarah posting how they prayed very hard the night before and were in total "awe" of the big, bad city.

They should actually visit Manhattan. The people are very nice. It's really not "that" ;) scarry!

They should actually visit Manhattan. The people are very nice. It's really not "that" ;) scarry!

Not a good idea for them. If they tried to pass out tracts in Manhattan, people would either tear them up in front of them or tell them to go get laid. Sometimes they do both. Nope, not a good idea at all......... ;)

Not a good idea for them. If they tried to pass out tracts in Manhattan, people would either tear them up in front of them or tell them to go get laid. Sometimes they do both. Nope, not a good idea at all......... ;)

Hmmmmm, maybe that wouldn't be such bad advice for the Maxwell "children".

OMG! Sarah used the word Three-some. I got a little excited.

Also, good to know they're eating those energy bars that looked like turds.... they are probably allowed one turd and two sips of water every three hours. And you get a Pringle if you finish the hike!

You know what the worst part of this hike is?

When we bag a peak, we celebrate by having a drink. The Maxwells eat a pringle.

I wonder how they pee on these epic hikes? Thst's a long time not to have to "go". ;)

Brilliant question, I would suggest the cult leader Steve monitors their intake so they drink just enough to maintain hydration but not pee.

I wonder how they pee on these epic hikes? Thst's a long time not to have to "go". ;)

That's what I was wondering about when they began talking about making sure they stayed hydrated.

It's probably easier to pee in a skirt than in pants. With a skirt you could just squat, gather, pee. Pants leave you completely exposed to anyone who pops by. Running shorts are the easiest to pee discretely in. You just kneel and push to the side and aim down. If you dribble, everything is quick dry. Not that a Maxwell girl will ever be allowed to wear running shorts. Or run in a race. :(

I would pay someone good money to grab the Maxwells and drop them off in the center of Burning Man.

I would pay someone good money to grab the Maxwells and drop them off in the center of Burning Man.

They would probably think they landed on another planet.

They have a new picture called "Continental Divide" on their blog. It's quite pretty. I have to admit the Maxwells do show some talent in photography. It's still not as good as many professionals but they surprise me with some of their pics. I think it's sad they are not allowed to take photography lessons. Somehow, the family convinced themselves all education can come from self-taught books. There's a ceiling most people reach in many professions without a real teacher.

EDIT: I just noticed their Mt Elbert post that there was a comment which asked the family if they considered doing marathons. The reply was classic Steve:

Way too much time. For bodily exercise profits a little. We work to keep it in perspective.

I'm not sure what that means. Are they saying exercise itself is wasteful? Sarah posted in the past that the family do exercise to keep in shape, including daily walks and those pushups and situps at home. I'm confused.

“I am the Lord, and there is none else,

there is no God beside me:

I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:â€

“That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west,

that there is none beside me.

I am the LORD, and there is none else.â€

–Steve 1:1

I just noticed their Mt Elbert post that there was a comment which asked the family if they considered doing marathons. The reply was classic Steve:

Way too much time. For bodily exercise profits a little. We work to keep it in perspective.

I'm not sure what that means. Are they saying exercise itself is wasteful? Sarah posted in the past that the family do exercise to keep in shape, including daily walks and those pushups and situps at home. I'm confused.

Steve-o wouldn't want to let anyone out of his sight for the amount of time it takes to complete "long runs." However, I will say that those long runs/walks [in my case, I walk more than run] are some of the best times to think. Again, Steve-o wouldn't want any of the cult members to think because they might decide to run away. Our parish priest ran the Indianapolis 500 Festival Mini-Marathon last year. During his training and the race he prayed the Rosary and said Novena's for an increase in vocations. See Steve-o, you could pray for the conversion of the wicked people at Free Jinger while training.

Hi-ya, Steve-o! :greetings-waveyellow:

I would imagine that marathons would be out of the question for several reasons, but mainly because the training needed would take away from bible time and study and would end up being for the glorification of the runner rather than god. Steve isn't opposed to physical fitness, just sport because of the ebil competitiveness aspect. Making sure that various Maxwells are shape (fitness AND food-wise) is, I imagine, because their bodies are a gift from god and we can't go around misusing and abusing them now, can we?

Love the verse! Will there be more for those that feel a calling to convert to Steve-ism?

And, just for the heck of it - what's around the Maxwell compound, within a 26 mile radius? If the "children" trained for long distance running and decided to take off "on a jog" one day, they'd be pretty far gone before someone noticed. (And, Steve: FYI - if the runner in question is 18+, you have no legal recourse for ordering them back home. Just so's ya know.)

Love the verse! Will there be more for those that feel a calling to convert to Steve-ism?

I don't know about verses, but I feel ready to add to my portfolio of children's songs -- already did "Jesus Loves Me," now it's time for "Jesus Loves the Little Children:

Stevie keeps them little children,

Keeps them children all their lives.

Whether day or whether night,

He won't let them from his sight,

Stevie keeps them little children all their lives.

Archived