IGNORED

Maxwell Vacation 2012

Justme

I forgot about the films at the Creation Museum. If one of the reversal kids ever escapes, it would be interesting to observe them going to stuff like the movies, watching TV, and being able to read various kinds of books.

I was looking at the Munck's blog yesterday and saw that one of their little ones is sick. The picture they showed was the kid in bed, watching videos on a laptop. I am sure they were fundie-approved videos but, clearly, while the Muncks may have gotten rid of "the beast" they still watch some videos on the computer. What will this be like for Elizabeth, who clearly grew up seeing video entertainment of whatever sort, to be married to reversal-Joseph who probably has no memories of videos of any kind except the ones he records for the one-ton-on ramp? That girl is in for a very rude awakening.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I think Joe is in major rebellion. After all, he bought a house while, Steve was away and one that is 0.73 miles from the main compound, the lovebirds have a mirror headboard, want a real coffee pot and don't seem the least defrauded by hundred dollar garbage pails and sugar bowls.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Liz further aids his backsliding with at least some Little House or Veggie Tales, for sure. Soon they will be starting their own church at the home for unwed girls and refer to them as the young'ins.

I was looking at the Munck's blog yesterday and saw that one of their little ones is sick. The picture they showed was the kid in bed, watching videos on a laptop. I am sure they were fundie-approved videos but, clearly, while the Muncks may have gotten rid of "the beast" they still watch some videos on the computer. What will this be like for Elizabeth, who clearly grew up seeing video entertainment of whatever sort, to be married to reversal-Joseph who probably has no memories of videos of any kind except the ones he records for the one-ton-on ramp? That girl is in for a very rude awakening.

Elizabeth might be able to introduce Joseph into some video entertainment, if doesn't have the controlling traits that Steve has. I can picture Elizabeth having to give up certain forms of video entertainment and her having a hard time with it. I have glanced through some of the postings on the Munck blog from previous years and it seems that they have gotten more fundie over time, but they seem to have more laid back personalities than the Maxwells.

I think one of the Maxwell kids will leave the fundie lifestyle at some point. I think it will be one of the reversal kids. I have some hope that maybe Joseph and Elizabeth will find a way to leave the lifestyle or maybe they will be less hardcore than the rest of the Maxwells.

I thought the Muncks lived in Pennsylvania? The pictures on their blog definitely look like New England to me with all the trees and greenery.

Um, Pennsylvania is not in New England. Not even close.

They live in Tennessee.

Muncks live in Tennessee. Just look up Doggie Doos (their business).

That's still not on the way to Colorado from Kansas...

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of Costco shopping pictures. I had to LOL at the picture of Bethie putting the apples in the fridge. (On of the other posts, there was a discussion of becoming ill from food kept in coolers. Someone said she though there was a fridge in the cabin.) Though, I don't think it's big enough to hold enough food for 12 adults and 4 kids for over a week.

There is also a pic of Joshua sleeping on his tummy. He's way to young to sleep on his tummy. :( I know way to many people who have lost babies to Sids.....

Today is what would have been your wedding day, Joe. Hope you can find peace.

Next time we go to the grocery I'm going to see if I can get my kids to walk backwards in front of my husband and I and snap pics. This post alerted me to the fact that we've never had pictures to memorialize or shopping trips...you can't imagine what an empty feeling it left me with. Imagine forgetting something so important. No "Baby's First Grocery Shopping Trip" pictures... :(

:roll: These people are nuts. And I agree that poor baby needs to be turned onto his back...oh, and picked up off the nasty floor. I know he's on a blanket, but still.

I thought I was the only "non fundie" to enjoy the Maxwell's blog until I found this site! I have been reading their blog and snarking to myself for a few years. I noticed in the picture with Steve grilling he has a jar of olive oil next to him. At first glance I thought it was a beer, but soon I remembered that they are crazy and grilling while drinking a beer would surely send him straight to hell.

I thought I was the only "non fundie" to enjoy the Maxwell's blog until I found this site! I have been reading their blog and snarking to myself for a few years. I noticed in the picture with Steve grilling he has a jar of olive oil next to him. At first glance I thought it was a beer, but soon I remembered that they are crazy and grilling while drinking a beer would surely send him straight to hell.

LOL. When I first saw that pic I thought it was a bottle of booze as well. Upon zooming I realized it was just ollive oil.

Socks with Birkenstocks? Oh, Teri...

Hilarious part is she'd fit right in with a bunch of the professorial set around here. Not that they'd be likely to socialize, but...

The beer-looking olive oil got me too! I also didn't like seeing Joshua on his tummy to sleep. With how secluded they make themselves, I wouldn't be surprised if they've never heard of the "Back to Sleep" campaign and why it saves so many lives. Also, would it have been so hard as to pack a pack-n-play for him? I'm sure someone must have had some extra room for one. I don't like how they barricaded him into the corner :(

Hilarious part is she'd fit right in with a bunch of the professorial set around here. Not that they'd be likely to socialize, but...

Pretty much the norm here behind the green curtain. I will confess wearing socks with Tevas and back in the day wearing them with Birks as well.

The beer-looking olive oil got me too! I also didn't like seeing Joshua on his tummy to sleep. With how secluded they make themselves, I wouldn't be surprised if they've never heard of the "Back to Sleep" campaign and why it saves so many lives. Also, would it have been so hard as to pack a pack-n-play for him? I'm sure someone must have had some extra room for one. I don't like how they barricaded him into the corner :(

Some babies can't sleep on their backs. I had two who couldn't - one of my daughters used to spit up so much that it was dangerous for her to sleep on her back, and my son had colic and was such a restless sleeper that he would startle himself awake every 5 minutes. My pediatrician told me both times to put them to sleep on their tummies, that even though back sleeping was recommended it isn't always possible. I also agree that the Maxwells may have no idea about the "back to sleep" campaign because of their isolation. I would hope they at least have well-baby checkups and listen to what their pediatrician says.

As for a pack-n-play they did bring one because there was a picture of Christopher carrying one in one of their blog posts. I see nothing wrong with laying a little baby down on a blanket for a nap during the day. He's much too young to crawl away or anything.

Glad they have a fridge. I mentioned getting sick from cooler food. We took food to a cabin with a fridge, and brought leftovers home (I hate throwing away food). I got sick. Really sick. Apparently, I am incapable of keeping my coolers cold enough. In the future, we're going to buy our food at our destination. :-) I hope none of them get sick

Interesting about the cooler. Did you keep ice in it constantly? We've traveled with coolers many times but make sure there is ice in it at all times by putting fresh ice in it at night when we stop, and again in the morning before taking off. If the ice happens to completely melt, we throw any meat/eggs/mayonnaise items out.

Interesting about the cooler. Did you keep ice in it constantly? We've traveled with coolers many times but make sure there is ice in it at all times by putting fresh ice in it at night when we stop, and again in the morning before taking off. If the ice happens to completely melt, we throw any meat/eggs/mayonnaise items out.

Yeah, I think we did. I'm just not very good at coolers, I guess. One more reason I would make a horrible Maxwell. :-)

What surprised me was the way that the Maxwells packed the coolers in the front of the trailer. One would think they would want to pack them near the rear, so that they had easy access and could check ice and temps while they were on the road. (FWIW I keep an instant read thermometer in each of my two coolers, so I don't have to guess about safe temperatures.)

I also wonder how many rooms they get when they stay at motels? Do they own the cabin? And what the heck do they need to buy at REI each of the guys seems to have a bag. I must admit I don't consider a trip to an outdoors store a major event in my life. If I need something for my camping kit, like a new water filter, I just go downtown to the store and buy one. No biggie, nothing I have to notice my friends about. Kinda like grocery shopping, a non event that happens without the over sharing the Maxwells are so fond of .

Socks with Birkenstocks? Oh, Teri...

What's wrong with that? I have to wear socks, I don't know why but I cannot stand to be with bare feet. I wear socks with sandals. If that makes me weird I could care less.

I know several people who wear socks with sandals and I don't see anything wrong with it. John Maxwell looks hot in the picture where he is holding Joshua. I bet some fundie girls and her families probably have interest in him, but I wonder if Joseph's broken engagement will hurt John or Jesse's chances for courtships.

(FWIW I keep an instant read thermometer in each of my two coolers, so I don't have to guess about safe temperatures.)

That is a good idea!!

I was glad to see the refrigerator also and that they went to Costco/Sam's for fresh food when they got there. They mentioned buying hiking socks at REI and that they do that every year. No REI stores in Kansas? At least it seems to be an event for them and I'm glad that they are out somewhere.

I'm a cooler fan for short times and keep one in the car for grocery trips. I was afraid that they were packing cooked meat and such to last for several days. It appears that most of what they prepared at home was food for the trip to Colorado or snacks which wouldn't concern me nearly as much.

If I do pack meat, it is always packed frozen. I take along a small playmate cooler to use for defrosting.

Same here, plus I have a second cooler for non-meat items. Sure, it means that I'm getting twice as much ice, but nobody gets sick.

That's pretty much what we used to do - I say "used to" because we've since installed a little refrigerator (with a freezer section even!) in the car.

It's great not needing to constantly buy ice, makes keeping the beer cold all that much easier!

Archived