IGNORED

Abortion on a 10yo rape victim? Lose your licence in KS

Alecto

Children are not tools to either punish or bless their parents.

If you think a baby should live a few days, or maybe even hours, only to die in pain and having only known suffering during their short life, just because it could be some blessing or lesson to the parents- you're the one with a fucked up point of view.

This.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know of one late term abortion other than Treemom. She was a mother in a grief support group I was in after my stillborn. She aborted because the child had ancephaly (as did mine).

The baby had no brain, no skull. If it ever lived on its own, it would never be really alive - just base reflexes of breathing and heartbeat.

I am sorry for your and the other lady's loss.

Because the longer the pregnancy goes the more completely formed the person. I don't consider an egg to be a person, but a fully formed fetus, one capable of thought and pain, I just can't imagine making that decision to end it. Especially at such a late stage.

As far as children having conditions not compatible with life. I guess it depends on your view of life. There have been been babies born with all kinds of conditions that have been blessings to their parents just the same.

There have also been parents who have actually sued doctors over faulty genetics testing. Their little girl turned out to have downs and they sued the doctor because if they had known they would have aborted her.

How do you think that little girl feels knowing her parents only wanted her if she was perfect? What is wrong with loving a child no matter the outcome? For whatever time you have and for whatever you have? The hurt in this case goes both ways.

Okay, the mean Emmie voice is coming out here.

You are talking about love like people who abort for the infant's medical reasons are unloving. I have a relative with a child who has a chromosomal deletion. Sure, they love her. I love her. I would do anything for that little girl. But she requires constant, expensive care that those parents can afford. Many people can't. They would lose their jobs and rob their real live existing children by choosing to have that baby. That little girl lives with constant discomfort and often, pain. As she gets older it will probably worsen. She will need more care and be in more pain. The other three children make constant sacrifices for that little girl. These parents did not know before she was born, but some do. It's hard to say what the "loving" choice is in that situation. I cherish her, but I have a hard time calling this a blessing. The real blessing would be if she had the rest of that chromosome. I have no judgment toward parents who love their children just as much and decide to spare them.

Some conditions are not compatible with life and the parents choose a late term abortion to spare their baby a painful death.

These types of situations are the norm in late term abortion. And the parents do not have to explain it to you and get your approval. The fact that you bring love into this is disturbing. Women who have abortions are not selfish unloving people. They are weighing their options and making a hard choice, no matter what they decide.

And this is woman shaming...my partner and I just had genetic testing done prior to hopefully conceiving which determines if we are carriers for about 150 genetic diseases which cause profound disability and/or premature death. Had the test results showed that we had any possibility of producing offspring with these diseases, then we would no longer be trying to have a baby. If someone screwed up the results of that testing, and we had a child with on of those illnesses, then there would be a lawsuit. We would sue Because it goes against mine and Mr Meda's values to deliberately bring a child into a world of pain, suffering, and premature death, and we would have relied on a professional's expertise to make sure it did not happen. A child in pain is not a blessing to othrs or a teaching tool, it is a human being in pain. For some one who is pro life, you are awfully dismissive of a child's quality of life. Why would you make light of that sort of suffering? Also, why do you feel entitled to opine about how other people should handle the possibility of a profoundly disabled child, or child who will only live a short while in pain?

And this is woman shaming...

Thank you. That is exactly what I have been trying to say in waaay too many words.

It is not okay to shame women for their reproductive decisions. Scarygirl, you need to find a new hobby other than contemplating which abortions are acceptable to you. Save it for your own pregnancy.

Thank you. That is exactly what I have been trying to say in waaay too many words.

It is not okay to shame women for their reproductive decisions. Scarygirl, you need to find a new hobby other than contemplating which abortions are acceptable to you. Save it for your own pregnancy.

I finally found a good response for fundies when they ask, "Why are you so pro-choice, find something better to do." I'll reply: "What business is it of your's if to know if a woman got raped and is an exception to your pro-life stance if you think that in everything else but in cases of rape, abortion is wrong? Why should you be verifying womens' stories? You go find something better to do."

And this is woman shaming...my partner and I just had genetic testing done prior to hopefully conceiving which determines if we are carriers for about 150 genetic diseases which cause profound disability and/or premature death. Had the test results showed that we had any possibility of producing offspring with these diseases, then we would no longer be trying to have a baby. If someone screwed up the results of that testing, and we had a child with on of those illnesses, then there would be a lawsuit. We would sue Because it goes against mine and Mr Meda's values to deliberately bring a child into a world of pain, suffering, and premature death, and we would have relied on a professional's expertise to make sure it did not happen. A child in pain is not a blessing to othrs or a teaching tool, it is a human being in pain. For some one who is pro life, you are awfully dismissive of a child's quality of life. Why would you make light of that sort of suffering? Also, why do you feel entitled to opine about how other people should handle the possibility of a profoundly disabled child, or child who will only live a short while in pain?

As an aside, and not to thread-jack, but I understand your decision.

My husband and I face a similar situation. Our own decision is to treat the most likely disability as an innocent condition of being: If the child has the same condition as my husband, it would make his or her life no less worth living. (Ours is an unpopular view - but we did do a lot of soul-searching to come by it. It's not a thing we treat lightly.)

This is why reproductive freedom is so important; individuals should and must have the right to follow the dictates of their own conscience in such intimate matters as whether or not to bear.

I am sorry for your and the other lady's loss.

Do you have any idea how trite this sounds?

Don't call her back! It is a wish of mine for her to flounce! Btw, there should be a flounce smilie...

In the court case I mentioned, you don't think the little girl for all the hardships that Downs can cause was even more traumatized by the knowledge that her parents never wanted her in case she had downs? No matter how one feels about abortion that is a hard pill to swallow. This little girl for the rest of her life is going to know that a. her parents never really wanted her unless she was genetically perfect, b. they consider her to be a burden and c. she is too expensive to be taken care of. Despite all the hardships she is still a person first.

Yes there is pain in this life. You could or I could have have an accident tomorrow that renders us handicapped in some way. I guess what I am saying is life holds no quarantees. It kind of scares me a little bit when medicine gets into the business of determininng outcomes.

I am not saying a person should be born with some horrible disease on purpose if there some preventative prenatal cure or medication that can be taken after to help ease their suffering or even cure them of their illness. At the same time, I have a hard time with a person being denied birth simply because of the possibility of some suffering or ailment.

Downs Syndrome for example, there are worst case scenarios and there are also high functioning people out there, same with Autism. The ones that are higher functioning hold jobs and in some casers live on their own, either fully or in assisted living type situations.

These are the cases I am talking about. I am not talking about babies that are born only half formed with major organ systems missing. What a horrible decision to have to make.

I was not being trite. I am sorry her and the other lady's loss. Ancephaly is a horrible condition for all concerned.

In the court case I mentioned, you don't think the little girl for all the hardships that Downs can cause was even more traumatized by the knowledge that her parents never wanted her in case she had downs? No matter how one feels about abortion that is a hard pill to swallow. This little girl for the rest of her life is going to know that a. her parents never really wanted her unless she was genetically perfect, b. they consider her to be a burden and c. she is too expensive to be taken care of. Despite all the hardships she is still a person first.

A child with DS is not capable of understanding this, and hopefully no one has taken the time to explain it to her.

Yes there is pain in this life. You could or I could have have an accident tomorrow that renders us handicapped in some way. I guess what I am saying is life holds no quarantees. It kind of scares me a little bit when medicine gets into the business of determininng outcomes.

I would not purposely sign up for an accident that renders me disabled. Medicine is all about improving outcomes, particularly when the patient requests it.

I am not saying a person should be born with some horrible disease on purpose if there some preventative prenatal cure or medication that can be taken after to help ease their suffering or even cure them of their illness. At the same time, I have a hard time with a person being denied birth simply because of the possibility of some suffering or ailment.

Downs Syndrome for example, there are worst case scenarios and there are also high functioning people out there, same with Autism. The ones that are higher functioning hold jobs and in some casers live on their own, either fully or in assisted living type situations.

In order to get the best case scenario, the parents must dedicate their lives and an incredible amount of money to the cause. Some people do not have the time and money to create that outcome even if their child's particular disability allows it. They just.have.nothing.to.give. So their choice is between life of suffering and lost potential, or an abortion.

A child with DS is not capable of understanding this, and hopefully no one has taken the time to explain it to her.

I would not purposely sign up for an accident that renders me disabled. Medicine is all about improving outcomes, particularly when the patient requests it.

In order to get the best case scenario, the parents must dedicate their lives and an incredible amount of money to the cause. Some people do not have the time and money to create that outcome even if their child's particular disability allows it. They just.have.nothing.to.give. So their choice is between life of suffering and lost potential, or an abortion.

I had a foster sister with DS. She was low functioning because she had not been given a lot of the therapies and treatments that improve the lifetime forecast. I loved her so much. But there was a reason she was in foster care while her 5 siblings were at home with the parents. Her parents just could not do it. They did not have the time or money. They had to keep a roof over their heads. That is real life. Real-real. My mother was a social worker and took her in because there were no foster homes or group homes willing to take her, so she would have been in a children's shelter where abuse was likely. She died of a heart problem in her twenties after having some very serious and painful health problems most of her life.

I loved her. Because of her, I learned to be a friend and sister to someone who was different from the rest of my brainy Jewish family. But I do not glamorize her life. Please stop using her pain, and the pain of other people like her, in your political game.

No I was being supportive or her and the ten year old in this case. I didn't say this at the start, but I have been in this ten year olds shoes. I am very thankful that my experience didn't result in a pregnancy.

Are you supportive to me?

I had a 'legal', at that time not officially legal, but permitted abortion 40 years ago. I had a on/off relationship with the father, I was a 23 year old student living in a bedsitter, no money and absolutely not ready for having a child.

No rape, my life was not in danger, just stupid.

Not because the father was a rapist. Their is nothing wrong with the child. I was simply agreeing with premise of not wanting to traumatize the already traumatized with a preganancy that occured through no will of their own.

That doesn't make sense. Do you or don't you think it's a life? If so, does that life not matter if the Mum will be traumatised further?

These are the cases I am talking about. I am not talking about babies that are born only half formed with major organ systems missing. What a horrible decision to have to make.

Do you have a Down Syndrome child or a disabled child? Have you any idea what you are talking about?

Apparantly not and in case you are, you don't represent all parents you know.

I find it quite presumptuous to determine wether people should or should't have an abortion.

I am so glad I live in this part of the world, where nobody cares or questions our individual choices regarding this or any matter.

Are you supportive to me?

I had a 'legal', at that time not officially legal, but permitted abortion 40 years ago. I had a on/off relationship with the father, I was a 23 year old student living in a bedsitter, no money and absolutely not ready for having a child.

No rape, my life was not in danger, just stupid.

Or me? I'm horrible enough to have had two abortions. They made it possible for me and my three children to enjoy the life we do today.

One when I was young and unmarried and stupid. I later married the father and had three children when I was ready for them and love them very much. They would not exist if I had not cut off the first potential pregnancy.

I had another when I was older and theoretically not so stupid. But I found out I was pregnant just after leaving an abusive marriage with my three children under four. My children and I would not be safe, stable and happy of I had proceeded with that pregnancy.

I also contemplated abortion when I was pregnant with my first son. He tested at high risk for downs syndrome. My husband and I talked and talked and cried and researched and searched our hearts before deciding that if he did have downs syndrome we would abort this very wanted baby, mainly for the sake of his sister who was less than six months old at the time. I didn't feel that I could give her all she needed at the same time as caring for a child with very high special needs. If he had been our first child we would have continued with the pregnancy but not had more children. Luckily, the amniosentesis (spelling? It was a long time ago) showed that he was fine, and we had a healthy baby boy.

I doubt that my choices earn your "support". And I personally really don't care, but there are other women making difficult choices and reading bullshit like yours and questioning their choices and wether their reasons are "worthy" and going through all sorts of guilt and grief cause you want to shove your sanctimonious uninformed opinions down other women's throats and up their vaginas into their wombs.

It's a tragedy this girl was violated. She should have access to fast, easy, painless abortion, no questions asked. As should every woman who is lucky enough not to be living this tragedy.

You can fuck off with your scale of worthiness, be it for medical services or sympathy after medical services. Women who have chosen to terminate pregnancies don't want sympathy, we want people to fuck off put of womens bodies with their own politics and morals and agendas andmallow women to choose what is best for them and their families.

Sorry for the vent, a few threads on FJ have got me upset about abortion lately, with people saying "I'm pro choice, but......." and giving their very own personal list of conditions we all should have to meet to convince them that our abortion was legitimate.

And I've realised that if only the women who aborted because of medical tragedy speak out, it becomes the only socially acceptable reason to be open about aborting. And that isn't helpful to all the women reading who may want to abortnfor a million other reasons.

Or me? I'm horrible enough to have had two abortions. They made it possible for me and my three children to enjoy the life we do today.

One when I was young and unmarried and stupid. I later married the father and had three children when I was ready for them and love them very much. They would not exist if I had not cut off the first potential pregnancy.

I had another when I was older and theoretically not so stupid. But I found out I was pregnant just after leaving an abusive marriage with my three children under four. My children and I would not be safe, stable and happy of I had proceeded with that pregnancy.

I also contemplated abortion when I was pregnant with my first son. He tested at high risk for downs syndrome. My husband and I talked and talked and cried and researched and searched our hearts before deciding that if he did have downs syndrome we would abort this very wanted baby, mainly for the sake of his sister who was less than six months old at the time. I didn't feel that I could give her all she needed at the same time as caring for a child with very high special needs. If he had been our first child we would have continued with the pregnancy but not had more children. Luckily, the amniosentesis (spelling? It was a long time ago) showed that he was fine, and we had a healthy baby boy.

I doubt that my choices earn your "support". And I personally really don't care, but there are other women making difficult choices and reading bullshit like yours and questioning their choices and wether their reasons are "worthy" and going through all sorts of guilt and grief cause you want to shove your sanctimonious uninformed opinions down other women's throats and up their vaginas into their wombs.

It's a tragedy this girl was violated. She should have access to fast, easy, painless abortion, no questions asked. As should every woman who is lucky enough not to be living this tragedy.

You can fuck off with your scale of worthiness, be it for medical services or sympathy after medical services. Women who have chosen to terminate pregnancies don't want sympathy, we want people to fuck off put of womens bodies with their own politics and morals and agendas andmallow women to choose what is best for them and their families.

Sorry for the vent, a few threads on FJ have got me upset about abortion lately, with people saying "I'm pro choice, but......." and giving their very own personal list of conditions we all should have to meet to convince them that our abortion was legitimate.

And I've realised that if only the women who aborted because of medical tragedy speak out, it becomes the only socially acceptable reason to be open about aborting. And that isn't helpful to all the women reading who may want to abortnfor a million other reasons.

Exactly!!

All the gibberish about compatibele with life or having a difficult but very much liveable life, it is up to the one who is living that life.

My late younger son was a kidney patient from age 5, as a complication of scarlet fever. He had two kidney transplants, the kidneys were donated by his father and me.

From the age of 5 untill his untimely death at the age 28, his life was a concatenation of surgerey, iv blood tests, medical intervention, horrible side effects of medication I could write a trilogy about it.

Ultimately he is deceased because of the most dreadful complications of dialysis.

We (his parents) did everything to make his life worth living, we loved him so very much and he knew it. Shortly before his death, he told me how much he loved me and how he described his relationship with me and his brother as perfect, unfortunately his father died when he was 14.

He didn't like his life at all, actually as he grew older he even began to hate it.

I am glad he was my son and I valued his life, though he didn't.

So, it is not up to us to decide wether his or a life is/was worth living or not.

He said, life is highly overrated and we can't be all Lance Armstrong.

I miss him terribly and sometimes it is hard not to get insane. But there is consolation in the fact, that he doesn't suffer anymore.

I usually lurk here but this topic has made me want to respond.

12 years ago, I could have been this victim: I am developmentally disabled, slightly retarded (fortunately only by a couple of years). God forbid if this happened to me, I would hope that my parents would be allowed to give me my abortion. Although, it would be their decision, they would have told me in a way that I would have understand and accepted it. Something on the lines of 'babies are not like dolls, you cannot take out the batteries when you don't want to play with them anymore, you are stuck with them forever'.

On the other issue about disability being seen as the tragic thing and bans you from having a good life. This is almost always not the case. Disability may make your life hard and complicated but it doesnt stop you having a good life. The defintion of a good life is unique to each individual.

Therefore, if a potential parent feels like they cannot handle a child with disability they should have the right to terminate it, even past the age of viability. Today, I live a very normal happy life, i'm finishing my undergrad disseration and starting a MA which is something of a miracle. This is because I have been blessed to have two loving parents who want me disability and all. They make my life worth living. If they hadnt wanted me and i grew up knowning my disability was an unwanted burden to their family life, I would have preferred not to do be born. Also the NHS has helped, to be where i am today probably cost millions of early intervention, laptops etc.

That is why the post viability termination exists, its a hard decision but one has to be made, especially in a country with no NHS which will make having a child with disablity harder and more expensive on the parents

I usually lurk here but this topic has made me want to respond.

12 years ago, I could have been this victim: I am developmentally disabled, slightly retarded (fortunately only by a couple of years). God forbid if this happened to me, I would hope that my parents would be allowed to give me my abortion. Although, it would be their decision, they would have told me in a way that I would have understand and accepted it. Something on the lines of 'babies are not like dolls, you cannot take out the batteries when you don't want to play with them anymore, you are stuck with them forever'.

On the other issue about disability being seen as the tragic thing and bans you from having a good life. This is almost always not the case. Disability may make your life hard and complicated but it doesnt stop you having a good life. The defintion of a good life is unique to each individual.

Therefore, if a potential parent feels like they cannot handle a child with disability they should have the right to terminate it, even past the age of viability. Today, I live a very normal happy life, i'm finishing my undergrad disseration and starting a MA which is something of a miracle. This is because I have been blessed to have two loving parents who want me disability and all. They make my life worth living. If they hadnt wanted me and i grew up knowning my disability was an unwanted burden to their family life, I would have preferred not to do be born. Also the NHS has helped, to be where i am today probably cost millions of early intervention, laptops etc.

That is why the post viability termination exists, its a hard decision but one has to be made, especially in a country with no NHS which will make having a child with disablity harder and more expensive on the parents

Believe me, I was a very loving parent as well. My son was very educated, played field hockey, rowed, loved swimming, played the piano, had a lot of friends.

Nevertheless, the last 2 years of his life he didn't enjoy life anymore, the constant heavy medications, pain the many limitations.

My point is, not everybody reacts the same to illness, disability or any difficult life for that matter.

People are not manufacturable, they develop their own personality.

Believe me, I was a very loving parent as well. My son was very educated, played field hockey, rowed, loved swimming, played the piano, had a lot of friends.

Nevertheless, the last 2 years of his life he didn't enjoy life anymore, the constant heavy medications, pain the many limitations.

My point is, not everybody reacts the same to illness, disability or any difficult life for that matter.

People are not manufacturable, they develop their own personality.

That's my point!!!!!! Sorry If i didnt make it clearer. i can see from your post that you are loving mum and wanted the best for your child and let your child develop. I'm really sorry what happened to your child, but he was lucky to have had a mum who clearly loved him very much. I understand that people are not manfucated, every life is different. I'm very lucky to have parents who would have loved me just as much regardless of how I turned out. But at the same time I respect a woman's right to have an abortion whenever she wants it. Also I know how powerful a mum's unconditional love is for a child and I believe that every child deserves to have it and if a pregnant woman knows she cant give that to her a child she has the right to abort it.

I'm sorry if I have offeneded you and I hope that is clearer.

That's my point!!!!!! Sorry If i didnt make it clearer. i can see from your post that you are loving mum and wanted the best for your child and let your child develop. I'm really sorry what happened to your child, but he was lucky to have had a mum who clearly loved him very much. I understand that people are not manfucated, every life is different. I'm very lucky to have parents who would have loved me just as much regardless of how I turned out. But at the same time I respect a woman's right to have an abortion whenever she wants it. Also I know how powerful a mum's unconditional love is for a child and I believe that every child deserves to have it and if a pregnant woman knows she cant give that to her a child she has the right to abort it.

I'm sorry if I have offeneded you and I hope that is clearer.

I am sorry I sort of misunderstood you, moreover without feeling offended.

If you "don't like" late-term abortion, it means that you DO like women dying, women facing grave health consequences, and babies being born only to experience constant suffering for a few hours, days, or months until they die. It's as simple as that. Scarygirl has made it clear what she prefers. This is the reason I can not use the term pro-life. Wanting women to die isn't pro-life.

Because the longer the pregnancy goes the more completely formed the person. I don't consider an egg to be a person, but a fully formed fetus, one capable of thought and pain, I just can't imagine making that decision to end it. Especially at such a late stage.

As far as children having conditions not compatible with life. I guess it depends on your view of life. There have been been babies born with all kinds of conditions that have been blessings to their parents just the same.

There have also been parents who have actually sued doctors over faulty genetics testing. Their little girl turned out to have downs and they sued the doctor because if they had known they would have aborted her.

How do you think that little girl feels knowing her parents only wanted her if she was perfect? What is wrong with loving a child no matter the outcome? For whatever time you have and for whatever you have? The hurt in this case goes both ways.

I'll give you one point for a reply, but you failed to answer my question.

I'm not gonna guzzle down the red herring you just dropped but I will briefly address, the DS lawsuit, was in fact an early abortion.

Now please respond with regards to why a parent whose child has been determined to have a condition not compatible with life would be denied the choice of a late term pregnancy termination.

ETA: The term, 'condition not compatible with life' is not mine, it is a medical definition.

Exactly!!

All the gibberish about compatibele with life or having a difficult but very much liveable life, it is up to the one who is living that life.

he was my son and I valued his life, though he didn't.

So, it is nMy late younger son was a kidney patient from age 5, as a complication of scarlet fever. He had two kidney transplants, the kidneys were donated by his father and me.

From the age of 5 untill his untimely death at the age 28, his life was a concatenation of surgerey, iv blood tests, medical intervention, horrible side effects of medication I could write a trilogy about it.

Ultimately he is deceased because of the most dreadful complications of dialysis.

We (his parents) did everything to make his life worth living, we loved him so very much and he knew it. Shortly before his death, he told me how much he loved me and how he described his relationship with me and his brother as perfect, unfortunately his father died when he was 14.

He didn't like his life at all, actually as he grew older he even began to hate it.

I am glad ot up to us to decide wether his or a life is/was worth living or not.

He said, life is highly overrated and we can't be all Lance Armstrong.

I miss him terribly and sometimes it is hard not to get insane. But there is consolation in the fact, that he doesn't suffer anymore.

Latraviata, we had some tiffs a while ago during my 1st weeks here at FJ, but now I wish I was near you so I could give you a big hug. I'm so sorry for what happened to your son; I knew he passed away but didn't know the details.

Hugs.

Oh and scarygirl, stop with the judging. :roll:

Archived