IGNORED

Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

slickcat79

My husband (pretending he cannot remember the real name of the show) refers to this show as "Boo Boo Dopey."

It's true these are incredible redneck, ignorant, undisciplined people who probably live off the dole. However, I was touched when, while Alana and her mom were getting facials, Alana got scared and her mother said calmly, "here, hold my hand." That showed good parenting, empathy, and an understanding of what a little girl might need.

Would Michelle Duggar have said, "Here, Jennifer, hold my hand?" No, I think she would have called Jill over to hold her hand.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LMFAO this is all I've read in this thread LOL!!!!!

TLC (what does that stand for now???) is showing a marathon right now, and my husband thought I was watching some kind of show about the mentally challenged in Appalachia who didn't get enough nutrients. But they actually seem like they'd be smart if they grew up in another way! And um...the mother, what is her name, Sugar Biscuit :?: referred to an obtuse triangle - she said the etiquette lady was like a square, and her family is like a lopsided obtuse triangle, which is pretty funny plus she knew about obtuse triangles. Never understood the term "guilty pleasure" till seeing this show. I HAVE to watch it's so appalling. :lol: Sugar Biscuit or whatever her name is said that farting is a sign of health so she knows her family is healthy, she may have been joking, maybe, but she meant it, too :lol:

Aye, she's like kids from round here. It's not appalling.

She's a bit cheeky but her mum shows her a lot of love.

Yeah I actually really like her mother. I've known so many people like this family and this mother and TLC may be exploiting them but the family is eating it up. I doubt it will have a bad effect on them beyond Alana being in pageants but she already will be. It may even have a good effect on them down the line. Plus, families like this one, at least the ones I know, tend to roll with the punches, they just laugh crap off and support each other and don't try to mess each other up, even though they are incredibly entertaining. So I'm just sitting back an enjoying it.

I really don't think they're all that awful. I think "Mama June" is definitely playing up the hick factor for TV - and for money to improve her life.

"Sugar Bear" seems to love and provide for all four girls, and they seem to love him back.

They all seem to love Anna unconditionally and help her even though she's going to be a teen mom.

They seem to have a clean, comfortable house with toys/amenities for the kids.

"Mama June" seems to have provided decently for four daughters despite a disability caused by a work accident (the "forklift foot") and despite having her first daughter at 15 years old.

Now, they're definitely not the Cleaver family... not even close... but I'd rather have Honey Boo Boo's family than the Bates or the Duggars.

Seriously man! I LOVED visiting families like this when I was a kid! The diets are awful and I HATE pageants and both pageant kids and actor-kids get pumped up on stimulants on purpose, take that up with that crappy system, that isn't something the mama is doing to be negligent. But maybe it's just I don't know, who you know - if I hadn't known people like this family, with it being SUCH a positive experience for me, fun and loving, maybe I'd understand the criticism of them but really, they are a nice family.

I get that they are on the very-far-end of the entertainment spectrum and people may look down on them for the subculture they inhabit, but you all may be interested to know that families like this are often very liberal in their thinking and very non-assholey. They tend to be very accepting of others, friendly, helpful, empathetic, and have actual bullshit detectors which may be why they can be all those things without letting a church/Fox news mess their brains up. They are uncouth AND nice people.

My husband is refusing to be in the same room with it because he grew up all hoity-toity :lol:

I think tonight is the season finale. Anyone know if they'll be back or is this it?

Oh, they will definitely be back. They get (relatively) high ratings, and are still in the reality TV honeymoon phase when TLC just has to pay them to be themselves. They are at least a few seasons away from TLC paid world tours.

Sooooooo I really enjoy this show. A lot. They may not be skinny and Christian, but they love each other, and the parents actually take care of their kids, something Mama Bates and Duggar doesn't do.

I just watched the season finale, with baby Kaitlyn and her extra thumb. I was kind of bothered by the talk about the extra thumb - it sounds like they are going to leave it as is? I'm all for loving yourself and excepting the body you have, and I really appreciate how accepting they were of the situation, but removing an extra thumb is pretty simple surgery. They should certainly be able to afford it with TLC money, or even get it donated (like the Gosselin's tummy tuck and hair plugs). There are some other medical concerns I hope they can take care of now that they have a significantly higher income - Mama June's "forklift foot" looked like it was inadequately treated (if it was ever treated at all) and Sugar Bear need serious dental work.

I kind of doubt the salary report article. That isn't how TLC normally works plus I've read two or three places that June is paying Anna out of the family payment a few hundred a month to come and live with them. Anna was living with grandma.

They're reportedly filming three specials for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, and season two is in the works to begin airing in 2013.

ETA: TMZ is reporting that they got a raise due to the ratings.

I just watched this. I'm so glad it is not just Scottish people that get translated :lol:

Is it wrong that I really, really want to go to the 'Redneck Games?'

Sooooooo I really enjoy this show. A lot. They may not be skinny and Christian, but they love each other, and the parents actually take care of their kids, something Mama Bates and Duggar doesn't do.

This weekend I got caught in a marathon and actually watched a few episodes, there really is a sweetness to the family. Yes, they've make a lot of choices that I would not, but I've seen more parenting on Here Comes Honey Boo Boo than multiple seasons of the Duggar or Gosselin shows. If given a pop quiz on their children's like and dislikes, I think June would beat J'ichelle, Kate, and probably Kris Jenner too.

For all their over-the-top redneck ways, they didn't put down other races, ethnicities, or classes, either. Baby Kaitlyn isn't on track to be valedictorian, but I think she'll grow up surrounded by more love than the babies on 16 and Pregnant or Teen Mom.

They don't bother me except for June using the Walmart fatty caddy when there were probably 80-yo's holding on to their shopping carts for dear life. Then again, the 80-yo's probably have better mobility than June, so what the heck.

And yeah, I totally just copied that from MichaelK. Besos, amore!

I admit I HATED this show at first and refused to watch it after only one episode. But this weekend nothing was on we got pulled into the Honey Boo Boo Marathon... Then the finale was that night so I watched it. I can't believe that I am saying this but I actually do kinda like them. The way they handled the 3 thumbs, and the way Alana talked about gay people, it shows that if nothing else these kids were raised to be kind to others. Alana is totally not judgemental to those that are different. Thats rare to see in a child today. The way she loves baby Katelyn its "the best thing that ever happened to her" that all got me. I saw the real family , we are so used to seeing scripted reality shows that I think this all was shocking because its clearly reality TV.

Also on the offical face book page June takes pics of Alana with every gift she gets from fans along with a thankyou. Thats got to be ALOT of time and work I wouldn't have patience for that. They also refused when TLC offered them a new house which makes me smile. But I hope they get ALOT more $$$ because they are driving TLC ratings through the roof. I just hope the money doesn't change them and I really don't think it will much. I also hope they have by now hired a agent.

Anyone see the sketti recipe? a big glob of butter (margarine) with catchup zapped in the microwave and put on overcooked sketti (spaghetti) well that tops TTC for sure.

I just watched the season finale, with baby Kaitlyn and her extra thumb. I was kind of bothered by the talk about the extra thumb - it sounds like they are going to leave it as is? I'm all for loving yourself and excepting the body you have, and I really appreciate how accepting they were of the situation, but removing an extra thumb is pretty simple surgery. They should certainly be able to afford it with TLC money, or even get it donated (like the Gosselin's tummy tuck and hair plugs). There are some other medical concerns I hope they can take care of now that they have a significantly higher income - Mama June's "forklift foot" looked like it was inadequately treated (if it was ever treated at all) and Sugar Bear need serious dental work.

Mama June said they aren't removing the thumb because they dont yet know which one is more functional so they would rather wait and see what needs to be done based on her abilities.

They're gross and unhealthy, but actually they are pretty loving and the mom is NOT stupid. I think its nice they are supportive of each other and also include the gay uncle with love and acceptance.

They don't bother me except for June using the Walmart fatty caddy when there were probably 80-yo's holding on to their shopping carts for dear life. Then again, the 80-yo's probably have better mobility than June, so what the heck.

And yeah, I totally just copied that from MichaelK. Besos, amore!

no matter who said it first, it's not cute or cool. it's fat shaming. people seem to forget that she has a mangled foot that causes a disability. she has every right to use the cart. stores are different from other places. we saw her at a water park, but there are tons of places to sit. i've never seen a grocery store with a seat at the end of each aisle. a grocery store is just aisle after aisle aisle that require you to keep walking. she may not be able to do that. it may not be her weight causing her to use the cart.

would you say that about someone with a lung or heart condition who can only walk 100 ft. or so without stopping? i doubt it. it wouldn't be that cute or cool to say that about them, would it? a disability is not always visible.

seriously, think twice before you assume it's weight-related. what you said was very discriminatory.

i had to use a handi-cart (correct term) after surgery. it was either go and use it, or go hungry. the decision was simple. i saw other people giving me the stink-eye for riding around the store. they had no way of knowing i had a large abdominal incision under my clothes. they just assumed it was too lazy to walk around.

assumptions are dangerous critters. i hope the next time you see someone in a handi-cart, you think twice about why they may be using it.

Mama June said they aren't removing the thumb because they dont yet know which one is more functional so they would rather wait and see what needs to be done based on her abilities.

They're gross and unhealthy, but actually they are pretty loving and the mom is NOT stupid. I think its nice they are supportive of each other and also include the gay uncle with love and acceptance.

These folks aren't selling their lifestyles and values like the Duggar's and Bate's. It's not like they are recruiting folks who only share their particular values. They are far less dangerous than the cults like the Duggars, Bates, Maxwells and Doug Phillips is a tool.

no matter who said it first, it's not cute or cool. it's fat shaming. people seem to forget that she has a mangled foot that causes a disability. she has every right to use the cart. stores are different from other places. we saw her at a water park, but there are tons of places to sit. i've never seen a grocery store with a seat at the end of each aisle. a grocery store is just aisle after aisle aisle that require you to keep walking. she may not be able to do that. it may not be her weight causing her to use the cart.

would you say that about someone with a lung or heart condition who can only walk 100 ft. or so without stopping? i doubt it. it wouldn't be that cute or cool to say that about them, would it? a disability is not always visible.

seriously, think twice before you assume it's weight-related. what you said was very discriminatory.

i had to use a handi-cart (correct term) after surgery. it was either go and use it, or go hungry. the decision was simple. i saw other people giving me the stink-eye for riding around the store. they had no way of knowing i had a large abdominal incision under my clothes. they just assumed it was too lazy to walk around.

assumptions are dangerous critters. i hope the next time you see someone in a handi-cart, you think twice about why they may be using it.

Seconded! I have very severe asthma, and for about a month out of every year I get bronchitis/pneumonia. I often look very healthy when I'm at the end of that cycle and people can't tell that I'm sick just by looking at me. If I were to try walking around for the full length of the grocery store though, I would get very short of breath and have to spend extra time on the nebulizer, maybe a trip to the ER... Not fun.

Thank you for this. I seem young and reasonably fit and often get stares and comments for my disabled parking placard or using carts in stores. I can't walk more a small distance without needing to sit down, and it causes a lot of pain. People would rather assume I'm lazy. When the carts are in use or all have dead batteries, I leave without most of my groceries. I have no choice.

And, what if being severely overweight causes someone to need that assistance? So what. Lack of mobility is lack of mobility. It isn't for any of us to go around judging that one is ok because she had surgery, but that one might have eaten too many fritos, so to hell with her.

And, what if being severely overweight causes someone to need that assistance? So what.
Exactly. She didn't beat up an elderly customer and steal their own wheelchair, she used a store-provided device. It's like... I don't know, bitching that a teen mother used up the last "pram" parking place. Who cares if her carelessness caused her to have a user for the shop's courtesy?

Exactly. She didn't beat up an elderly customer and steal their own wheelchair, she used a store-provided device. It's like... I don't know, bitching that a teen mother used up the last "pram" parking place. Who cares if her carelessness caused her to have a user for the shop's courtesy?

This and the above comments as well. Socially "unacceptable" people's needs get scrutinized way more than those of privileged people. It's quite the double standard. And making fun of people who use wheelchairs is widely regarded as appalling...unless they're fat.

This and the above comments as well. Socially "unacceptable" people's needs get scrutinized way more than those of privileged people. It's quite the double standard. And making fun of people who use wheelchairs is widely regarded as appalling...unless they're fat.

QFT.

I'm lucky enough not to ever have needed a wheelchair because I'm fat, but I have seen these guys on US TV programmes (we certainly have many fat people in the UK but I have never seen anyone in real life use the little car or the wheelchair because they were so really fat. I feel a bit worried about this, are they just stuck in their homes?)

This falls into my "No hating, that could well be you one day" category. If a person needs a chair or a little car, they need one.

Archived