IGNORED

Michaella/Michal/Michael Bates

Deleted07

I know but I mean when they originally changed her name they could have changed it to Michaela.

I suspect that they were restricted on how much of a "spelling" change they could make without having to go to court to officially change her name.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate what they stand for, and I hate their bass-ackward story of not changing her name. But I actually DO like the Michaela (Mike-a-la) pronunciation. I would probably spell it with two l's, Michaella.

I would not use Michaella to name a baby, though, because it would most likely be mistakenly pronounced Mikayla and GAWD I am SO sick of that name. Also sick of McKenna. And Kayleigh/Kyleigh/Keely. Don't even get me started on the Jaden variations. :ew: ANYWAY...

I also love the feminized-John name Johnna. But I imagine people would pronounce it Johannah all the damn time.

• 1 month later...
So basically, Gil and Kelly hadn't actually read the Bible at that point?

Why am I not surprised? :clap:

I would've changed her name to Michelle or something completely different bc you know Michael(a) gets asked about her name A LOT so she has to say due to her parents lack of research skills... If Angelina can change 2-yr old's I forget is original to PAX...

I feel for Michael on this one. My name is misspelled bc my mom didn't know how to spell it, and just kinda winged it when asked. I guess she assumed she would say it, and they wouldn't ask for a spelling. Then after putting so much thought into not learning how to spell my name, she forgot about a middle name.

This thread has me wondering. She's obviously about to change her last name (marriage) and will she change her legal first name at the same time (is that even allowed?)

i have a fairly common first name that is spelled uniquely. I've heard a few stories about it over the years. Bottom line it is how it was spelled on the birth certificate. and it is who I am. Being a common name - despite never being able to find things as a kid with MY name on it - that is uniquely spelled does mean people rememeber me.

My parents were rather two for two as my sister's name is also fairly common but pronounced differently (the parents left off an accent mark from the birth certificate that might have fixed that). Again - it is who she is.

As for the name Michael and being a woman I'm going to point to The Waltons. Olivia Walton played my "Miss" Michael Learned. I believe they put "Miss" in the credits so cue the audience that she is a woman not a man. (it was the early 70's - go figure)

• 4 weeks later...
This thread has me wondering. She's obviously about to change her last name (marriage) and will she change her legal first name at the same time (is that even allowed?)

It's allowed but would be more complicated and time consuming than just changing her last name. When you're past the age of one the only easy way to get your name changed is through marriage or divorce, and that's just your last name.

My middle name was supposed to be hyphenated but got messed up when I was born, so legally I have two middle names, not one hyphenated one. I didn't even realize it was wrong until I applied for a marriage license, and when I asked my mom she confirmed it was supposed to have a hyphen. I thought I could just add a hyphen in there when I went to change my last name, but the clerk said it would be a lot easier to just leave it the way it is. And that was just to throw a hyphen in! So yeah, trying to change her first name might be more complicated than it's worth.

I don't think they're so embarrassed about it because they can use it as proof of how "unique" all their children are and how creative they can be. They get accused of being brainwashed clones all the time (rightfully so). I'm sure they and other fundies they know like using her as proof that they're not imposing gender roles for no reason okay, that's how people ACTUALLY want to be.

HAHAHA omg I just though about Brandom being out in public and saying "my fiance Michael" and someone thinking he's gay. Hahahahaha imagine his reaction hahahaa

HAHAHA omg I just though about Brandom being out in public and saying "my fiance Michael" and someone thinking he's gay. Hahahahaha imagine his reaction hahahaa

Sounds about right.

I don't know , I know I was able to change my middle name on my social security card , drivers license, bank account, etc. after I married when I changed my last name. I had significant work history in my maiden name and wanted to use it as my middle name to keep everything easily tied together. I didn't have to file any additional paperwork or anything. Don't know if it would be the same with a first name? Or that she would even WANT to change it at this point.

They could always say they named her after Michael Steele from the Bangles...

You know, because they like music... and bass players?

Archived